If Buckner is off the Board at #11, Trade Down Scenario with Rams?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
*sigh*

So you think I wrote Bears would take ANY QB at 11, when I specified only Wentz/Goff/Lynch twice?

Are you on medication right now, or did you get possessed by Rory?

I don't think Goff will be there at all should the Browns inexplicably go Wentz. Between one of Dallas or San Fran I think one of them would pull the trigger on value alone. Dallas I think is more likely to go for something in the 2nd, but who knows. It depends on what San Fran wants to do with Kaepernick. The whole idea of one of them dropping is that we're banking on Chip Kelly to be there to fix Kaepernick, but Kaepernick has been acting like a petulant child and the opinion of him leaguewide is pretty low. He supposedly hates their management. Chip Kelly has a profile of QB he likes, but in the end Good QB play trumps whatever system played so they could still get Goff there. I think it's possible Kaepernick could get traded to LA or just outright cut and then signed to LA. I don't see Goff, Wentz, and Lynch lasting past Philly at #13 depending on how combine and pro days go.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If Wentz is there at 11. Bears got to take him. Lynch 70% take him. Bears got to have a young QB to develop. Why not in this draft. I dont see next year's draft as any better. Plus Bears will most likely not draft in top 11 as well. Now is the time to strike while the iron is hot.i

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Cutler is not a long term answer. He is no way stops the bears from taking a QB if they like one.

Thats the point.
I know Goff is not the answer even if culter isn't he is under contract and pace and fox have said they are moving forward with him so :flipa:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just do not see the point in using a number one draft pick on a quarterback right now when they have a decent one in Cutler. If this was a situation where they were solid all around actually had to replace the guy who quarterbacks your team, then sure, but the Bears need a whole lot to be even competitive. They absolutely have to fix the offensive line and the linebacking on this team as top priorities and there are quite a few good prospects in the draft to bring in.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
I just do not see the point in using a number one draft pick on a quarterback right now when they have a decent one in Cutler. If this was a situation where they were solid all around actually had to replace the guy who quarterbacks your team, then sure, but the Bears need a whole lot to be even competitive. They absolutely have to fix the offensive line and the linebacking on this team as top priorities and there are quite a few good prospects in the draft to bring in.

Nobody thinks the Bears are a pick away from the Superbowl. We are at least 2 seasons from being in any kind of conversation as a model club. That's exactly why we can afford to spend a 1st round pick here if the value justifies it(Although I would rather the top rated DE or LB). We have a lot of money to spend to plug necessary holes, and we probably will be drafting closer to the back end of the draft next year. If Wentz or Lynch test well it could be a while before we have a shot developing a high-end QB prospect. Cutler has had nagging injuries and has a developing family. I'm not counting on him being around forever with all of these guys deciding to retire early. Cutler will have a couple more shots at redemption and if not Pace needs a backup plan other than tank and wait until the next best thing comes along. If the QB is in place even with everything else you'll end up losing your championship window.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would think the scenario you described above would be the perfect time to draft a QB in the first round. It would seem counter-intuitive to build up an entire roster and then the last item on your checklist is "Draft QB - develop".

This.

So many peoples line of thinking is completely out of wack. Get a QB in place and build around him, doing the oposite risks losing out on a window of opportunity. Really not a hard concept to grasp.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would seem counter-intuitive to build up an entire roster and then the last item on your checklist is "Draft QB - develop".

It's worse than counter-intuitive but good luck convincing the mongoloids here that. It's the same shit every year, always a million excuses why this isn't the year to draft a QB. Apparently we're supposed to wait until Pace fills the rest of the roster with Pro-Bowlers first, and then and only then will we consider drafting an elite franchise QB that can start day 1. It's a foolproof plan really.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yay, a Cutler thread!

It's like CCS' very own version of Godwin's Law.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow...you've COMPLETELY changed during the years I've been in jail. I've never seen a response from you that was so intelligent and concise.

To new beginnings....

Thanks, a lot has changed since you've been gone. Glad you're back this place needs it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why would you trade down out of the 11th spot? It's not like a team drafts that high every year. Keep the pick FFS and draft a stud.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Why would you trade down out of the 11th spot? It's not like a team drafts that high every year. Keep the pick FFS and draft a stud.

Well I mean it's all theoretical at this point. Trade downs are not common, but if you're sitting at 11 and you have 5 or 6 prospects with similar grades and don't "love" any of them, trying to trade down and get more picks makes sense.

In this draft the Bears should have a chance at an elite defensive prospect at 11. But then again they might not. Its a weak draft on offense. You assume 2 quarterbacks go top 10-though personally I don't see a first round caliber quarterback in this draft let alone a top 10. Tunsil is a top 5 prospect. Some people like Stanley and pass blockers tend to be valued high in the draft. Don't see any other offensive prospects going top 10. So let's say Goff, Wentz, Tunsil and Stanley go top 10.

If theres a run on defense, and Buckner, Ramsey, Jack, Alexander, Bosa, and Spence are gone, who do you tak at 11?

Is there a prospect who is significantly better then one you can get at 15 or 20 even in this draft? I'm not sure. Long way to go, but given then shear number of needs and the kind of funky draft class that seems to have a lot of talent in the 2nd round range but is weak at the top, I wouldn't rule it out.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think one of the impact LB's will be there at 11.

Bergz22

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace will take whoever he wants at #11, if the bears are still at #11. If it's Goff, Wentz, Smith, Buckner, Robinson ect. He had a great 1st draft as a GM, let's hope he can keep it going.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
If Smith is their at 11 you take him imo you don't trade down unless another team is going to make it worth the wild. I don't see a franchise qb in this draft I see some that have potential but not worth a first round grade

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
I think Spence should be there. Would love that pick. In that case I would trade down with one of the teams like LA or Philadelphia that value Lynch.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I think Spence should be there. Would love that pick. In that case I would trade down with one of the teams like LA or Philadelphia that value Lynch.

I think Spence ends up going top 10 if the character issues are behind him. IF they're not, the Bears probably won't take him. He's easily the best pass rusher in this draft. The value the NFL puts on pass rusher has never been higher. He's a better prospect then Fowler and dramtically better then Beasley was coming out. I'd put him right below Mack in recent classes. I hope he makes it to 11 but I think its unlikely.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If Smith is their at 11 you take him imo you don't trade down unless another team is going to make it worth the wild. I don't see a franchise qb in this draft I see some that have potential but not worth a first round grade

I know I'm in the minority but I thought Smith was over rated as a prospect before getting hurt. I just can't see Pace taking a guy who's 4 months removed from blowing out his knee. Especially given what happened with White last year. He'd have to consider Smith a once in a generation talent to make that move, in my opinion. I don't see him as that, personally.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
I think Spence ends up going top 10 if the character issues are behind him. IF they're not, the Bears probably won't take him. He's easily the best pass rusher in this draft. The value the NFL puts on pass rusher has never been higher. He's a better prospect then Fowler and dramtically better then Beasley was coming out. I'd put him right below Mack in recent classes. I hope he makes it to 11 but I think its unlikely.

I'm hearing that the character issues are overblown and he takes his craft seriously now so you just may be right. I don't feel like he'll go within the top 6. After that it's kind of a crapshoot. Depends on if Chip Kelly wants to draft another Oregon guy in Buckner or if they'll go for Wentz, etc...

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I know I'm in the minority but I thought Smith was over rated as a prospect before getting hurt. I just can't see Pace taking a guy who's 4 months removed from blowing out his knee. Especially given what happened with White last year. He'd have to consider Smith a once in a generation talent to make that move, in my opinion. I don't see him as that, personally.
When you are drafting in the top half of the first round you should be getting once in a generation talent and as long as his knee checks out which from all the reports so far he should recover 100%. who would you pick?