Votes: 8 11.8%

Votes: 12 17.6%

Votes: 18 26.5%

Votes: 6 8.8%

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Or did the Bears really have no other choice.....?

Ok, but those other guys sucking or not playing well doesn't really make Amos any better in the grand scheme and in the big picture.

See the CCS Supreme Court Case: Cutler vs Moreno/Stenstrom/Kittner/Krenzel & Collins

What I mean is, corner and safety are positions that expose themselves to growing pains often if thrown into a starting duty right away.

Fox might have had no choice but to start him due to the lack of depth at safety, but they certainly could have shuffled the lineup if he struggled which he didn't. Instead he improved as did Fuller.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Also, I do remember a lot of the safeties that were really played up on CCS ended up doing much worse than how Amos did. There was a lot of talk on players like Landon Collins, Damarius Randall, Jacquiski Tartt, Derron Smith, Durell Eskridge, and I think Gerod Holliman. I'm sure I've missed some, but I do remember those names being mentioned more than Amos ever was (note that there were a few picked after Amos). Now not all of them played but I think the main point is that in a pretty poor safety class and on a team that desperately needed some consistent safety play, Amos was a nice pick in relation to the rest of the talent pool.

That sums it up well. I do think Landon Collins will be good though. But he was picked at 33 overall.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
a foolish 8 as of right now because i really like the draft the class and promise and some of the lower level free agents and his undrafted free agents looked promising

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Except for the fact that he had a 102 rating, 8.1 YPA, 20 TDs 5 INTs, 4th highest scoring team, 815 rushing yards before he got hurt!

Are you always this clueless about NFL history?

I honestly never thought I would ever have an argument about Robert Griffin sucking BEFORE he got hurt. fatbeard's continued pressing of this issue is one of the most asinine things I have ever seen since I first logged on to the internet back in 1996 (You've got mail!).

Are you dense or just being deliberately obtuse? Are you incapable of understanding the difference between "This player's performance sucked" and "This player's success was principally the result of a playing in an offense that NFL defenses inevitably adapted to, and was therefore unsustainable"? If you are, do be a dear and quote for me where I characterized Griffin's 2012 performance as "sucking".

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
That sums it up well. I do think Landon Collins will be good though. But he was picked at 33 overall.

Agreed, but I think in the context of this thread, he's considered a "bust" since he was picked 33rd and was outplayed by a guy who was picked in the 5th round and didn't make a single INT or FF. Either way, I just wanted to make the point that Amos, for where he was picked, did tremendously well in relation to the rest of the draft class. He was the best value out of all of the safeties for the 2015 season. Maybe Collins becomes a better safety in the end.

Also, remember how Kam Chancellor was a 5th round draft pick that didn't start a single game in his first season? He turned out to be a pretty damn good player. Amos might turn out to be a terrible safety by the end of it all, but for a 5th round pick to start every game in his first season is a good pick. And before people say that the Seahawks had a good secondary which is why Chancellor didn't start, their starting safety was Lawyer Milloy and he finished the season with 0 INT and 1 FF.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
"How much faith do YOU have in Pace?"

5 Pages of people crying about others having to much faith.

Reactions: 1ke

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
Amos proved that he could line up in the right spot...which is what made Craig Steltz better than Major Wright, what got Jon Bostic released, and why Shea McClellin continues to be included the Bears' active roster.

He also gave up an 80 yard bomb in OT, at home to lose to the 49ers.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not happy with his moves so far. Lost a top WR last year and had to use our much needed 1st pick to replace him. Now it's happening again, our 1st rd pick will be used to replace the RB we just lost.

If we draft a RB in the first it will severely lower my opinion of him. He claims not offering Forte a contract is because he is confident in our other RBs. To waste our first rounder to replace a guy who has been the best player on offense because we didn't offer him a contract is ridiculous.

Liked Posts:
Impressed in what context? Compared to whom? The other trash Bears safety or other actual NFL starting caliber safeties for real defenses? Other 5th round rookie safeties you've seen?

You're missing the entire context part of this argument.

I thought he looked good as a NFL starting safety. I wasn't missing your point lol. Obviously, he can improve and I wasn't expecting him to be perfect, but even in his rookie year I thought he was a quality NFL starting safety.

Just for clarification so you understand what I'm trying to say...

I thought he looked tremendous compared to what the Bears have around him. I thought he looked very good for a 5th round pick in his rookie year. I thought he looked like a good NFL safety in general. Does that help?

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
If we draft a RB in the first it will severely lower my opinion of him. He claims not offering Forte a contract is because he is confident in our other RBs. To waste our first rounder to replace a guy who has been the best player on offense because we didn't offer him a contract is ridiculous.
Just because a GM is confident in a certain unit doesn't mean it can't be upgraded if the value is there to do it.

Forte is still a good player but he would be been a bad investment, just like most 30+ year old RBs are that have a lot of miles. And Forte would've wanted more money than Pace wanted to offer, hence why Pace decided to not even bother entering negotiations and risk the possibility of developing bad blood with Forte.

I'm sure Pace and Fox are comfortable going into next year with Langford/Carey, but if Zeke is on the board at #11 and the best defensive players are gone, you take Zeke. You don't pass on him because you have needs in other areas because that sets you on the road to mediocrity. Assemble as many playmaker as you can, that's how you build a franchise and you do that by drafting BPA with every pick.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Amos was one of the worst starting safeties in the league?

See I do not see that. I see that he was a rookie that had a lot more on his plate than he should have due to all the other problems on the defense. If you solidify the line and ILB position and add another CB that is good you will see better production from him on the back end.

I think his negatives were more a result of an overall shitty D rather than him playing shitty.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I gave a seven, certainly room for improvement, but so far I have a great amount of trust in his process and high levels of hope going forward. We have a GM that is a football guy.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was in the bottom 10.

I'm not writing Amos off, as he's a rookie and has room to grow obviously. I think he could grow into a middle of the pack starter, maybe a little better than that even. But ccs has taken on a pretty meatballish mentality concerning the young safety.

This is true, but what you have to give Pace props for, is that he found this potential mid level starter way down in the draft. Sadly, we have had to many GM's that found 1 and 2 nd round pic's that were no better than, and often worse than Amos (that was so sad to type, sheesh). And given he was a mid round pick forced into starting.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes? 0 INTs 0 FFs 0 FRs

Gil Brandt: It doesn't look like he has the speed, tenacity or toughness you want in a safety, and I'm not sure if he'll ever be more than a decent starter.

After years of ineptitude at the Safety position, I'd be tickled to get a decent starter at that position from a 5th round pick. Score!

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Clown with zero football knowledge alert.

Lmao, I've got more football knowledge in the tip of my dick than you got in that pea sized mush you call a brain.

You are irrelevant.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Prosinski was the closest defender, but it appeared that he was the safety responsible for the deep half on the other side of the field. It looked like Amos bit on the short WR and let Smith run past him. Amos also had a Conte-esque tackle attempt on Gabbert's TD run at the end of regulation. Just a terrible game by Amos.[video=youtube;PayS4m7SJzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PayS4m7SJzw[/video]

I believe I read an article by one of the Bears beat writers that pinned it on one of the CB's...porter if I recall correctly. Could be wrong though

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
49ers QB Blaine Gabbert: “It was set up by all the throws we had underneath early on, all the runs we ran out of that formation. It worked perfectly.”

49ers WR Torrey Smith: “We knew they were sitting. We didn’t take too many shots this game. They were sitting on us so what are we waiting for? Let’s go get it.”

Smith was lined up in the slot and ran a deep corner route as part of a high-low combination with Anquan Boldin. Tracy Porter was the cornerback on the outside and he appeared to be communicating with safety Adrian Amos just before the snap. Boldin ran a deep curl route and Smith kept going, getting wide open with Amos passed him off to no one. Fellow safety Chris Prosinski came over late but he was arriving from the other side of the field.

“Cover Three is what we wanted,” Smith said. “We didn’t know if they were going to play it. It puts the corner (Porter) in a tough spot. They probably thought I was going across. We’ve made some big plays out of that formation.”

Porter: “They came out in a formation that they usually take a shot in, you know, and they just flat-out executed. It was simple and plain. We were out of position on the back end and they were able to capitalize on it. We’re supposed to have a guy carrying the seam. You know, for whatever reason, miscommunication, miscue, and it didn’t happen. The quarterback saw it and he put it up.”

Was the defense in Cover Three?

“Yeah,” Porter said. “Pretty much.”

Blaine Gabbert
49ers quarterback Blaine Gabbert celebrates a touchdown during the second half. (Nam Y. Huh / AP)
Amos, who said the Bears were in Cover Three: “It just got away for us. We have to communicate. We gotta talk it out.”

Prosinski: “I’m not going to point fingers. We’ll watch it tomorrow. I’m not going to talk about it. We were in a form of single high.”

In the second half of the season, they can’t have breakdowns like this. It’s no longer a new system being installed by defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. Smith was the only real vertical threat in that offense and he just burned them when the Niners were beginning the drive at their own 29-yard line.

Who’s got responsibility for the coverage? I wish I knew. If it was true Cover Three, it might be Porter. He seems to imply pretty directly that Amos was responsible for continuing to run with Smith. It’s unusual for a safety to carry a corner route, especially in Cover Three. The bottom line is mistakes like this get you beat and it’s happened twice in three weeks. The reason a bigger deal wasn’t made out of the Thomas touchdown was because it occurred in the first quarter and not on the final play of overtime.

For four quarters, the defense stuffed San Francisco’s running backs and really put a lid on Gabbert and the passing game. But the quarterback ran 44 yards through the middle of the defense for a touchdown with 1:42 remaining in the game and then took the top off the defense in overtime.

I can't find it but I read later in a free agency article regarding porter that the Niners game was by far his worst game for the Smith gaffe gift TD

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I mean is, corner and safety are positions that expose themselves to growing pains often if thrown into a starting duty right away.

Fox might have had no choice but to start him due to the lack of depth at safety, but they certainly could have shuffled the lineup if he struggled which he didn't. Instead he improved as did Fuller.
How? If Fox had no choice to start him bc of injuries how could he have shuffled the lineup?