2016's Around Major League Baseball

TL1961

Liked Posts:
An average WAR player is around a 2. Castro has been average or above 4 out of 6 years. He is a 3 time all star and he is just getting to his prime. They aren't going to be "many" better second baseman than him. For instance, Ben Zobrist WAR was 2.1 last year. By your assertion, the Cubs should be looking for a better second baseman.

Stop!

Stop NOW!

The "Around Baseball" thread can NOT be a fucking Starlin Castro thread all year. That was every thread LAST year.

Start a very specific "Starlin Love Fest" thread and let us avoid it if we so choose. Please!

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trevor Story homered again

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stop!

Stop NOW!

The "Around Baseball" thread can NOT be a fucking Starlin Castro thread all year. That was every thread LAST year.

Start a very specific "Starlin Love Fest" thread and let us avoid it if we so choose. Please!

No.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Yes and Zobrist is 34 with 45 million dollar contract. Zobrist is very much the player last year than he was 3 years ago. Also, no one has ripped this move. You came in guns a blazing. The Yankees got a cheap 3 time all star that can hit. We got a swingman. Let's see how it turns out. Castro was a top 3 hitting SS two years ago. Stop acting like he is just this ground all hitter. Lulz also, I said he didn't fit Theo's vision of a player. I'm not sure where you disagree with this but you are trying your hardest

They traded him because he doesn't have the position flexibility, he doesn't have the same ability to switch hit, and he probably wasn't a guy they valued in the club house.

Starlin is basically a 2B who only helps you when he hits. He doesn't walk, he doesn't field, he doesn't steal bases, he doesn't help in the clubhouse, he's just a guy who's a hitter.

Three of his last five years are good but two of his last three are sub-par. The Cubs don't want nor need that kind of risky bat in their lineup. They want bats and players who can help more than just how well they're hitting. Because hitting slumps naturally.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Stop!

Stop NOW!

Starlin Castro.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
So the Mets appear to be in panic mode contemplating sending Steven Matz down to AAA and putting Jacob deGrom on the DL with lat tightness. It's early but these guys have lost in bad fashion to the Phillies and Marlins. It's worth paying attention.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Awesome angle of Ruth's 60th homerun. Boy, talk about attacking and exploding. You can see why he hit so many homeruns.

[video=youtube;HJUrouPnXHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJUrouPnXHI[/video]

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Awesome angle of Ruth's 60th homerun. Boy, talk about attacking and exploding. You can see why he hit so many homeruns.

Pretty amazing he never struck out 100 times in a season considering that swing load.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Insane eye to hand coordination.

Ruth had a 180.8 career fWAR including his pitching. Tossing out Bonds due to the "tainted" sample, the next best player is Willie Mays at 149.9. So in more than 100 years of baseball, Ruth grades out as twenty percent better than the next nearest player! It's simply amazing how good he was, how off the bell curve he was. The only guy who even comes close is Ted Williams, but that's only if you figure that he missed out on ~40 WAR from his service time during WWII and Korea, which would vault him from 130 fWAR to ~170 fWAR.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I have absolutely no idea of this is true or not but a friend of a friend that knows the organization pretty well says that Boston has been checking in with the Reds regularly on the rehab of Homer Bailey. Makes a lot of sense actually.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

[video=youtube;HJUrouPnXHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJUrouPnXHI[/video]
The bats they swung then were much heavier compared to what today's players swing. It took a lot of energy to get the bats going. He wouldn't be able to swing that bat today with the gas and hooks thrown now. The fantastic thing about his swing, though, is the core mechanics he uses are still the same mechanics used by the vast majority of the greats in today's game. So while on one hand I say he can't swing that bat now, there is no reason to believe he couldn't be one of the greats in our time. His skill translates.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, whats the over/under when Syndergaard throws out his arm. He hit a 100 MPH 12 times in his last game. I don't know. In todays age, I have a hard time believing someone throwing that hard with starters innings last long. Just me.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
So, whats the over/under when Syndergaard throws out his arm. He hit a 100 MPH 12 times in his last game. I don't know. In todays age, I have a hard time believing someone throwing that hard with starters innings last long. Just me.

He has relatively good mechanics so you might think he can throw like that longer than some but I'm with you it's hard to believe that he won't see the surgeon at some point.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So is Stras hitting F/A at the end of the year?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
User Actions
Follow

Sportsnet StatsVerified account
‏@SNstats
Chris Colabello becomes the first ever #BlueJays player on the Major League roster to be suspended for PED use

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video]http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v613737383/ladcolpuig-throws-out-story-at-third[/video]

Wow, top 10 throw I have ever seen. He had barely any momentum.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
[video]http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v613737383/ladcolpuig-throws-out-story-at-third[/video]

Wow, top 10 throw I have ever seen. He had barely any momentum.

That was a fantastic throw. Top 10 for me too.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So is Stras hitting F/A at the end of the year?

Yes but highly doubt the Cubs sign a long term deal with a Boras client ahead of Jake.

At this point, it would take something beyond drastic for the Cubs to not sign Arrieta long term IMO.

The Rays have gotten off to a start that should make the Cubs very attractive: they simply cannot score runs. The Rays have scored 3 or less in 13 of their 18 games. They have SP out of wazoo and Archer has simply had ten straight starts of terrible ability going back to last year so you have seen his value drop to maybe something affordable. I don't know if they'd move Snell or Archer but maybe the Cubs can build a package to go after either of those two guys, I'd do it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes but highly doubt the Cubs sign a long term deal with a Boras client ahead of Jake.

At this point, it would take something beyond drastic for the Cubs to not sign Arrieta long term IMO.

The Rays have gotten off to a start that should make the Cubs very attractive: they simply cannot score runs. The Rays have scored 3 or less in 13 of their 18 games. They have SP out of wazoo and Archer has simply had ten straight starts of terrible ability going back to last year so you have seen his value drop to maybe something affordable. I don't know if they'd move Snell or Archer but maybe the Cubs can build a package to go after either of those two guys, I'd do it.

I dont see the great depth in arms on the Rays