Status
Not open for further replies.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears’ Danny Trevathan ‘always dreamed’ of LB-friendly defense

bears_trevathan_football_59933333.jpg

Danny Trevathan bought a house near Halas Hall. He wants his teammates to visit.

The Bears inside linebacker learned in Denver that Super Bowl teams are constructed both on the field and around the dinner table.

“Build that family atmosphere,” he said after Wednesday’s OTA practice. “At the same time when we’re out here, we’re all working toward that one common goal — and that’s to be great and to win a championship.

“You have to be hungry. It’s hard to put together great days but great teams do it: you come in with that chip on your shoulder every day.”
Danny Trevathan won a Super Bowl in February before singing with the Bears. (AP)

Danny Trevathan won a Super Bowl in February before singing with the Bears. (AP)

That includes Trevathan himself — even after winning a Super Bowl and signing a four-year, $24.5 million contract.

“He’s got a real edge to him, per se,” inside linebackers coach Glenn Pires said. “The thing about him that’s great is that he loves to play football.

“He’s always got that great attitude, that smile. He just loves to go out there and play. That’s what you’re looking for.”

And vice versa.

Trevathan studied Vic Fangio’s 49ers teams from afar, noting how Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman compiled 10 Pro Bowl appearances, in part, with their coordinator’s help.

“I always dreamed of being in a linebacker-friendly defense,” he said.

He got his chance this offseason, leaving respected Broncos coordinator Wade Phillips.

“He’s more of a wizard at play calling — he puts it in your hands but at the same time, he knows what he wants to do,” he said of Fangio. “I can’t wait to put together some game plans with him.”

The feeling is mutual after the Bears upgraded to Trevathan and former Colt Jerrell Freeman at inside linebacker this offseason.

“The inside linebacker position and the safety position are the two positions that instincts are very critical,” Fangio said earlier this month. “And it can make up for a lot of tough plays, getting them handled, when the guy’s instinctive enough and recognizes it quick enough. So it’s a very major thing to play that position.”

With Akiem Hicks at defensive end — “He’s a mountain; you can’t move him,” Trevathan said — the Bears hope their three new veteran starters transform their defense. Only four teams had fewer takeaways than the Bears’ 17 last season.

“Attitude reflects leadership, man,” Trevathan said. “And we’ve got some guys who are hungry.”

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
I'm liking it. There definitely seems to be a change of pace in the attitude and competitiveness of the squad.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Glad to hear he's hungry for another ring. Dudes a stud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Seems like a great dude to have in the locker room. Can't wait to watch competent linebacker play after the previous few disastrous seasons.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
For every good move we made on def, we made a bad move on offense. This def will be fun to watch but I'm afraid we'll see to much of them.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
For every good move we made on def, we made a bad move on offense. This def will be fun to watch but I'm afraid we'll see to much of them.

But like last year's Denver team proved, you just need an adequate offense, IF the D is amazing, and a bit lucky.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:

Agreed. Some were unavoidable, but not signing Forte was a mistake. They're banking on White and some of the other younger players carrying the load this year. Huge gamble, but potential for huge return if it pays off. We'll see, but at least I'm very much looking forward to the season, unlike last year.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But like last year's Denver team proved, you just need an adequate offense, IF the D is amazing, and a bit lucky.
Having two HOF pass rushers sure does help.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quote Originally Posted by NCChiFan View Post

QUOTE=bearmick;2495201]Having two HOF pass rushers sure does help.[/QUOTE]

Yep, along with a good offensive line which the Bears do not have.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Quote Originally Posted by NCChiFan View Post

QUOTE=bearmick;2495201]Having two HOF pass rushers sure does help.

Yep, along with a good offensive line which the Bears do not have.[/QUOTE]

Since we've all seen this offensive line play together many times you are totally right! Idiot.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Some were unavoidable, but not signing Forte was a mistake. They're banking on White and some of the other younger players carrying the load this year. Huge gamble, but potential for huge return if it pays off. We'll see, but at least I'm very much looking forward to the season, unlike last year.

I'm more concerned about TE because we have no depth. Miller is a talented player, but he's injury prone. If he goes down, we're screwed at that position. OL is a question mark too.

WR, RB and QB are offensive groups I feel good about.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Except this defense is very likely not going to be that good. As Denver's, I mean.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep, along with a good offensive line which the Bears do not have.

Since we've all seen this offensive line play together many times you are totally right! Idiot.[/QUOTE]

You calling me an idiot is funny. You and Bear Den invented the phenomena of idiocy. You thinking that the Bears offensive line is good is the epitome of idiocy.

Alfalfa

Liked Posts:
Usual off-season happy talk, sounds a lot like Jared Allen when he first got here. I'll believe it after they get it done on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.