Close
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 23 to 44 of 167
  1. #23
    Senior Member Monsieur Tirets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by botfly10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, the thing is that gsync requires additional hardware module and also performs at a much wider fps range that freesync.

    Agree tho that eventually manufacturers will push for an open industry standard. But no way is gsync gonna just be flat out dropped in favor of freesync. Thats just not going to happen.

    Also, I don't buy the $200-300 gsync cost. Not when you can get good gsync monitors for $400.
    the article may have been old. but the point was that gsync adds additional cost while freesync doesnt. i only bring it up because we discussed this recently. and as for nvidia dropping gsync... it wouldnt be the first time a company drops its tech do to loosing a battle against a competing technology. if the industry adopts freesync nvidia wont be able to do anything about it. monitor manufactures much rather manufacture one monitor instead of 2, for less cost per monitor to boot. plus itll be better for the consumer. nvidia with all their propriety bs gets annoying. personally i wouldnt buy a freesync or a gsync monitor. like you said, a monitor usually lasts a long time, the span of numerous gpus, why the fuck would i buy a monitor that locks me into only one brands gpus? i want to be able to buy whichever gpu on the market offers the best value while still being able to take advantage of my monitors features. the sooner a unified standard is in place the better.

  2. A message from our sponsors.


    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.


  3. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,190

    Default

    Yeah, there is a hardware cost and I think a licensing fee too. But I think its the manufacturers themselves that do gsync related gouging.

    nvidia doesn't want to gouge on gsync. They want as wide adoption as possible because it locks people into nvidia cards for the life of the monitor, which can be a very long time.

    Also, the industry is not going to adopt freesync cause it doesn't perform as well. The best hope is a third party option emerging.
    Last edited by botfly10; 06-02-2016 at 05:26 AM.

  4. #25
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by botfly10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, the industry is not going to adopt freesync cause it doesn't perform as well. The best hope is a third party option emerging.
    We're already seeing improvements from various manufacturers going upstream and getting used. The pull requests into the newest xserver for Kaby Lake from intel shows freesync support, so the rumors that intel will support FreeSync is true. Future Adreno, Mali-T's, and PowerVR chips also have adopted support. So even if AMD's shitty drivers are a hair behind when it comes to vsync disabled comparisons, the actual freesync technology and platform is vastly superior. nVidia will not be able to compete with the entire industry to force their standard. This is also why more FreeSync supported models of monitor are available and are still coming out, yet being the younger of the two standards. gsync is like rambus vs DDR in the late 90s. Rambus cost more and was slightly better, but it wound up dying because it was not an industry adoptable standard.

    It's okay though, not the first time AMD has released an industry standard. Hell, they were the charter designers for PCISIG that designed PCI-e that took down AGP. Same reason, one was a closed standard, the other was VESA supported. Their 64bit x86 implementation is what most of us here are using, as intel had to drop theirs. The list of modern open standards that were originated from AMD is just unreal compared to their size in the marketplace. They keep good technology moving and keep the marketplace honest and affordable. No third option is going to emerge. This is it, and AMD's track record with open standards has been impressive. ESPECIALLY post alpha team, none of that 3Dnow BS.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crystallas For This Useful Post:


  6. #26
    CCS Donator Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're already seeing improvements from various manufacturers going upstream and getting used. The pull requests into the newest xserver for Kaby Lake from intel shows freesync support, so the rumors that intel will support FreeSync is true. Future Adreno, Mali-T's, and PowerVR chips also have adopted support. So even if AMD's shitty drivers are a hair behind when it comes to vsync disabled comparisons, the actual freesync technology and platform is vastly superior. nVidia will not be able to compete with the entire industry to force their standard. This is also why more FreeSync supported models of monitor are available and are still coming out, yet being the younger of the two standards. gsync is like rambus vs DDR in the late 90s. Rambus cost more and was slightly better, but it wound up dying because it was not an industry adoptable standard.

    It's okay though, not the first time AMD has released an industry standard. Hell, they were the charter designers for PCISIG that designed PCI-e that took down AGP. Same reason, one was a closed standard, the other was VESA supported. Their 64bit x86 implementation is what most of us here are using, as intel had to drop theirs. The list of modern open standards that were originated from AMD is just unreal compared to their size in the marketplace. They keep good technology moving and keep the marketplace honest and affordable. No third option is going to emerge. This is it, and AMD's track record with open standards has been impressive. ESPECIALLY post alpha team, none of that 3Dnow BS.
    My first graphics card was an AGP 8x.... I think it had like 32MB of RAM.... godamn dat was a long time ago.

  7. #27
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My first graphics card was an AGP 8x.... I think it had like 32MB of RAM.... godamn dat was a long time ago.
    HAY, are we going to talk about old hardware or wut?

  8. #28
    Just your everyday fail. Schmidtaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lost OMW to the Point
    Posts
    3,066
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My first graphics card was an AGP 8x.... I think it had like 32MB of RAM.... godamn dat was a long time ago.
    Mine was a Voodoo 2 PCI video card. Man I had a friend who had two of those, linked together. We used to play Carmageddon back then.

    Jay Cutler doesn't do what Jay Cutler does for Jay Cutler. Jay Cutler does what Jay Cutler does because Jay Cutler is, Jay Cutler!

    I disagree to disagree to your assumption that me disagreeing to your agreement is a disagreeable agreeance between us.

    Warning, the following may be Not Safe For Work or a storyline spoiler.

  9. #29
    CCS Donator Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HAY, are we going to talk about old hardware or wut?
    Should I start an Old Af Hardware Discussion thread?

  10. #30
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should I start an Old Af Hardware Discussion thread?
    Then I can say, my first expansion graphics were S100s and I don't even know which chipset was used, only that it allowed me to use a cheap RF display.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Monsieur Tirets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,164

    Default

    i dont remember what they were but i remember as a kid having a couple all in one pcs, and i remember when 486 was a big deal and i think we may have had a guy who built pcs build us a 486 rig. i was a kid but i actually researched the parts and chose what went into it. that was decades ago so i dont remember much about it. after that i stopped following the pc scene for a long time until the early 2000s when i ordered a dell. yeah, it was a dell, but i made sure that it had whatever the best intel cpu was that they offered at the time and that it had a 9800pro. i was maxing out farcry and doom 3 and half life 2. then years later, i tried to run crysis and the card blew out, which was still under warranty, and since by that time the only cards dell had werent compatible with my motherboard they just replaced the whole pc. the cpu was an upgrade with a core duo but the gpu was a shitty 2400pro, though by that time it pretty much offered the same performance as the 9800 pro anyway. that was the pc i stuck with for like ten years and again i fell out of the pc scene until recently building this one. goes without saying that i was regulated to retro gaming for some time. lol

  12. #32
    Message Board Hero ijustposthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Any-Town, USA
    Posts
    18,467
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You win message board hero.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by BuddyRyans46 Hidden Content
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    to all of the people calling me a fecal alligator.....i will accept your apologies after this Friday's presser. I trust my sources.
    Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll be among the stars. Proceed to the next level.

    Hidden Content
    We have to make sense of this nonsense.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Monsieur Tirets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,164

    Default

    only 6K? ill take 2.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,190

    Default

    Here is an excellent video from Gamers Nexus on how graphics cards are/should be rated or measured by reviewers. Its excellent, I highly recommend it.

    The channel overall is very good imo and cuts through the bullshit. With actual expertise.

    The tl;dr version of the vid is:

    - Average FPS is sometimes a good measure of a card and sometimes a bullshit measure and sometimes somewhere inbetween.
    - Min and Max FPS are nearly always worthless measures of a card

    - A mixture of average FPS and something gamers nexus calls 1% lows and .1% lows is the best consumer level measure of a card
    - The very best metric is a mix of average FPS, 1% lows, .1% lows, and millisecond offset frametime

    Check the video out:


  15. #35
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Not trying to sound like an ass. I didn't know enough people didn't know how to decipher benchmarks. The ones who have attention span issues aren't going to learn no matter what learning aids are thrown their way.

    Not only that, comparing 1^:1^ in driver and chipset features, which is overlooked often.

  16. #36
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ijustposthere View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been hunting for a genuine IMSAI 8080 PC for a long time. A friend gave me his old one in the late 80s and I chucked it after a few months. One of those things you have and regret binning.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not trying to sound like an ass. I didn't know enough people didn't know how to decipher benchmarks. The ones who have attention span issues aren't going to learn no matter what learning aids are thrown their way.

    Not only that, comparing 1^:1^ in driver and chipset features, which is overlooked often.
    Sorry for making an effort to learn stuff. Did you watch the video?

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to botfly10 For This Useful Post:


  19. #38
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by botfly10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry for making an effort to learn stuff. Did you watch the video?
    Sorry, I was more harsh than usual. Yes I did watch it. IDK, just seems like something that would be common sense at this point. But then again, we still have HP/TQ understanding issues with automobiles that is along the same path, except with cars, it's about the whole power band and gearing.

  20. #39
    Senior Member Wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,898
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Are the benchmarks over at passmark.com legit?

  21. #40
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Legit, yes. Reflective of real world performance?, no. You want a real world benchmark to get real world results. Therefore find applications/games you use most, and many of those do have some form of benchmark and database.

    That being said, passmark can be an okay starting point. So many synthetic benchmark tools, you will get a lot of hardware that can pump out great numbers that don't always beat a significantly cheaper competing product for specific use case. Hardware makers know people buy into this trap, build hardware to wow on synthetic benchmarks, then owners complain to developers for slow software on their new expensive hardware. So in a way, even when passmark scores are bunk, the gaming of scores themselves forces developers to pay more attention to certain hardware.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Crystallas For This Useful Post:


  23. #41
    Senior Member Wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,898
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Legit, yes. Reflective of real world performance?, no. You want a real world benchmark to get real world results. Therefore find applications/games you use most, and many of those do have some form of benchmark and database.

    That being said, passmark can be an okay starting point. So many synthetic benchmark tools, you will get a lot of hardware that can pump out great numbers that don't always beat a significantly cheaper competing product for specific use case. Hardware makers know people buy into this trap, build hardware to wow on synthetic benchmarks, then owners complain to developers for slow software on their new expensive hardware. So in a way, even when passmark scores are bunk, the gaming of scores themselves forces developers to pay more attention to certain hardware.
    Was looking at FX-8350 Vs. it's slightly up-clocked revision the Fx-8370 (since I've been bargain shopping lately) and was confounded how the latter scored worse on the CPU mark. Granted, the sample size of the was fairly small, but still.

    Anyway, thanks for the response.

  24. #42
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    8370s are faster, but you could line up some bin variance that gets better scores, I suppose. That is an oddity for sure. Maybe the user submitted results were from people who put together OC rigs(even without OCs w/ bench on good motherboards) seeing how it was the most popular AMD OC CPU for about 2 years. Benched both categories and the 8370 users didn't fine tune and that was that. Sometimes you even get fanboys that like to fuck about, see grandma got this new HP to use on facebook, setup passmark scores and that's not close to what you would build. AMD CPUs are far more user optimized than manufacturer optimized than Intel, so discrepancies galore.

    I remember when Barton-M Athlon XP 2600+s were the cats meow, because they were cheaper and faster than the Barton Athlon XP 3200+. Same with Williamette Pentium 4s at 1.4GHz and a high ass price being slower than last gen 1.133GHz Coppermines. But I don't think this one is the same, I know the 8370s are faster, best bin for best bin because it's the same damn thing from the same wafers selected to be sold with a higher stock clock.

  25. #43
    False Prophet AussieBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10,185
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Legit, yes. Reflective of real world performance?, no. You want a real world benchmark to get real world results. Therefore find applications/games you use most, and many of those do have some form of benchmark and database.

    That being said, passmark can be an okay starting point. So many synthetic benchmark tools, you will get a lot of hardware that can pump out great numbers that don't always beat a significantly cheaper competing product for specific use case. Hardware makers know people buy into this trap, build hardware to wow on synthetic benchmarks, then owners complain to developers for slow software on their new expensive hardware. So in a way, even when passmark scores are bunk, the gaming of scores themselves forces developers to pay more attention to certain hardware.
    just like bf1... which recommended requirements are for atleast a 2gb card minimum.. and for amd, a HD 7850

    i saw i guy bench his 7750 on the game and couldnt play it as well.. varying other hardware parts though....

    but in real world...my 1 gb hd 7750 plays it on low @ 1080, hitting 29-40.. but @ 720, i get 50-60 fps on high and 25-35 on ultra.. 900p 35-45 low... 20-28 med...

    this is really making me not want to buy a rx 470/480 or 1050ti for what i want to reach.. i may just settle for 900p.. i saw a used 2gb r7 360 going for 50 bucks..

  26. #44
    Three if by air Crystallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the beef gristle mill
    Posts
    19,809
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    R7 360 is a reworked 7850 IIRC. Would be a pretty useless upgrade.

  27. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.



    Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •