Cubs have whethered major injuries but still winning.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have had major injuries this season. Certainly more than most teams but they're still far and away the best team in baseball. The following guys are on the DL: Schwarber, Soler, LaStella, and Fowler and they have lost Montero for significant time due to injury. How many teams could have lost 3 starting OF'ers and not collapsed?

Thank God for a good farm system that is producing major league ready guys in their early 20's. Almora Jr and Contreras have already contributed and will continue to contribute more as the season progresses. Does anyone see Almora Jr winning the Rookie of the Year? Especially with Fowler on the DL. Will he have enough at bats? He will have been with the team for more than 1/2 the season and if continues hitting in the clutch like he did last night and in Washington last week he's almost a lock...

Washington

Liked Posts:
Things might change dramatically if injuries happen in the rotation. So far so good. Depth sure is a nice thing. The minors leagues are not as deep in pitching though.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have had major injuries this season. Certainly more than most teams but they're still far and away the best team in baseball. The following guys are on the DL: Schwarber, Soler, LaStella, and Fowler and they have lost Montero for significant time due to injury. How many teams could have lost 3 starting OF'ers and not collapsed?

Thank God for a good farm system that is producing major league ready guys in their early 20's. Almora Jr and Contreras have already contributed and will continue to contribute more as the season progresses. Does anyone see Almora Jr winning the Rookie of the Year? Especially with Fowler on the DL. Will he have enough at bats? He will have been with the team for more than 1/2 the season and if continues hitting in the clutch like he did last night and in Washington last week he's almost a lock...
Soler is not a starting OF. LaStella is a 25 man guy. They Cubs have been very, very healthy in reality.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Soler is not a starting OF. LaStella is a 25 man guy. They Cubs have been very, very healthy in reality.

Soler was playing 4-5 days a week at the time of the injury. Certainly a big part of the OF rotation and he was starting to hit. La Stella's injury also forced the acquisition of Coghlan. I'm not saying these are major, major injuries but they aren't nothing either. Fowler could be a blow but if Almora can keep swinging the hot stick for a couple of weeks and Contreras contribute with the bat they should be OK.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Soler was playing 4-5 days a week at the time of the injury. Certainly a big part of the OF rotation and he was starting to hit. La Stella's injury also forced the acquisition of Coghlan. I'm not saying these are major, major injuries but they aren't nothing either. Fowler could be a blow but if Almora can keep swinging the hot stick for a couple of weeks and Contreras contribute with the bat they should be OK.

So again, the Cubs have been very very healthy

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So again, the Cubs have been very very healthy

losing your best hitter for the season does not put your club in the "very very healthy" tier compared and relative to the rest of the league.

Its like saying Toronto is healthy but they lost Bautista. Or the Angels got so lucky this year in the injury department, (if they had lost Trout for 140 games.)

I think the best you could say...is its been "fair." Fair compared to the rest of the league, injuries happen...they have had several and one major major knee injury to one of baseballs brightest stars.

ZAN

Liked Posts:

There's a shortstop in Colorado who might take issue with this statement.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
losing your best hitter for the season does not put your club in the "very very healthy" tier compared and relative to the rest of the league.

Its like saying Toronto is healthy but they lost Bautista. Or the Angels got so lucky this year in the injury department, (if they had lost Trout for 140 games.)

I think the best you could say...is its been "fair." Fair compared to the rest of the league, injuries happen...they have had several and one major major knee injury to one of baseballs brightest stars.

Schwarber is not the team;s best hitter. That's Rizzo. I'm not even sure Kyle is #2. (I like Bryant). Can Kyle get there? Sure, but let's not make it like he's there now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

And the guy in LA that plays SS that would beg to differ.

So would Maeda and Matz from the pitching department.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Losing Schwarber sucked but there's a few guys that the Cubs could lose that would completely change the way I view the team's chances....I don't even wanna mention them but we all know lol. I'm not ready to boast about playing well despite injuries yet.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:

Soler was starting in place of Schwarber which is a huge loss. Fowler is a huge loss depending upon how long he's gone. What Im saying is that is says a lot about the Cubs organization that it could lose 3 starting OF'ers and still not really lose a beat. How many teams could say that. You think the Nationals would be as good as they have been without Harper , Werth, and Murphy?
They would suck and I think they still do. The Cubs handled them quite easily in May and will again in October. But that we have Almora, Contreras, Szczur, and Baez says a lot about the health of the organization. Most pitching staffs don't lose a significant number of starters to injury. One maybe.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Schwarber is not the team;s best hitter. That's Rizzo. I'm not even sure Kyle is #2. (I like Bryant). Can Kyle get there? Sure, but let's not make it like he's there now.

People seem to overlook his flaws. He was terrible against lefties and wasnt going to play much against them this year.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:

Of course Story has made the headlines but with Colorado out of it already who really cares? And there are others to be sure but Im a Cubs fan. If Almora Jr has a huge second half I think he's right there especially if Fowler misses a significant amount of playing time. The guy just pounds the ball and his glove is almost as good as Heyward's IMHO...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Of course Story has made the headlines but with Colorado out of it already who really cares? And there are others to be sure but Im a Cubs fan. If Almora Jr has a huge second half I think he's right there especially if Fowler misses a significant amount of playing time. The guy just pounds the ball and his glove is almost as good as Heyward's IMHO...

:rolleyes:

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
I love your avatar btw. I worked for the USPS as a mail carrier in Deerfield and Highland Park while in college. There were some crazy fuckers working there. One guy paid me $50 a week to buy him a bottle of codeine cough syrup (which he also paid for). He was a letter sorter and worked on the loading docks. Then there was this psycho who would scream "Im gonna kill that fucking bitch!!" over and over for like 3 hours at least once a week while we cased our routes after he got in a fight with his wife. LMAO. :)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Soler was starting in place of Schwarber which is a huge loss.

With Kyle out, Maddon has played a whole bunch of guys in LF, including Bryant. No Soler was not a starting OF.
Fowler is a huge loss depending upon how long he's gone.
Well, that depends. So far Almora has been fine so to date there is no missing.
What Im saying is that is says a lot about the Cubs organization that it could lose 3 starting OF'ers and still not really lose a beat. How many teams could say that.
Not many. It speaks to team depth. Plus the Cubs best players are on the infield not the OF.

You think the Nationals would be as good as they have been without Harper , Werth, and Murphy? They would suck and I think they still do. The Cubs handled them quite easily in May and will again in October.

Your analogy is wrong. How good would the Cubs be without Rizzo, Bryant, and Fowler? I fixed it for you.
Yes the Nats stink. They just beat the Cubs. And yes, regular season wins says it all. Just ask the 2015 Mets. Oh wait....d'oh

But that we have Almora, Contreras, Szczur, and Baez says a lot about the health of the organization. Most pitching staffs don't lose a significant number of starters to injury. One maybe.
:lol:

Pitchers get hurt more than any position. Ask the Rangers/Dodgers/Cardinals how not losing a starter or maybe one is working out.

You can be a kool-aid drinking fan all you want. Especially now that the team is good. But try to use facts when trumpeting how good the Cubs are. You got lots of them without having to make a bunch of stuff up.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Im definitely drinking the Kool Aid this season. If you aren't you're crazy. Facts are the Cubs have lost several starters and not many other teams have guys like Almora and Contreras to fill in right away and contribute big time.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Im definitely drinking the Kool Aid this season. If you aren't you're crazy. Facts are the Cubs have lost several starters and not many other teams have guys like Almora and Contreras to fill in right away and contribute big time.

So not only are the Cubs one of the healthiest teams out there but they can weather injuries better than other teams. Where is the amazing part again? :shrug:

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No one mentioned that "whethered" isn't a word? Is this board full of idiots?