Let's play GM!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I've said numerous times around here that I think letting Martz(in a vacuum) go was a mistake unless you had a top tier guy coming in to take his place. Cutler and the offense weren't playing standout football in 2011 before the Cutler injury but they at least looked efficient in a certain sense, Cuter had his turnovers down, and looked a little more comfortable.

In retrospect I thought it was odd that Martz was essentially fired after 2011 because Caleb Hanie was so horrid. Martz hated Hanie and wanted to play Enderle. Martz in part lost his job because a guy who he didn't even want taking snaps for him was playing atrocious football.

The Martz/Cutler relationship was the wildcard here as to why you might not have been able to keep Martz around. This is where you remove the vacuum and deal real world. The relationship wasn't good, but they were making it work somewhat.

That whole scenario upsets me to this day. In 2011, after Cutler went down we had Hanie come in and we were literally one bone head play away from winning basically all of the games vs Oak, KC, Denver. Oakland we had that "trick play" on 2nd and 1 from the redzone that was intercepted for a near TD. KC there was the Hail Mary before the half and Roy Williams dropping an easy TD. Denver was the Marian Barber game. And then they go and BLAME Martz??? Ugh...

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Playoffs, which will happen.

Let's gooo cutty!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Onebud.. in all seriousness though. Don't you think the offense would have been better in 2012 if we had kept Martz? He would have had 2 legit WRs to work with. I think we would have won an extra game and gotten to the playoffs. Martz is a decent coordinator when he has players around him. His biggest problem is his stubbornness to adjust the playbook when he doesn't have the right players.

I never understood letting Martz go, unless he was the whipping boy for Hanie being so bad...eventhough he was never a fan of Hanie.

It seemed when he balanced the run/pass ratio in 2010 and 2011, the offense was pretty good. Not 1999 Rams good...but enough to be competitive in the division.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I've said numerous times around here that I think letting Martz(in a vacuum) go was a mistake unless you had a top tier guy coming in to take his place. Cutler and the offense weren't playing standout football in 2011 before the Cutler injury but they at least looked efficient in a certain sense, Cuter had his turnovers down, and looked a little more comfortable.

In retrospect I thought it was odd that Martz was essentially fired after 2011 because Caleb Hanie was so horrid. Martz hated Hanie and wanted to play Enderle. Martz in part lost his job because a guy who he didn't even want taking snaps for him was playing atrocious football.

The Martz/Cutler relationship was the wildcard here as to why you might not have been able to keep Martz around. This is where you remove the vacuum and deal real world. The relationship wasn't good, but they were making it work somewhat.

Considering that a new GM entered the picture, I wonder if this lead to Martz's inevitable "retirement" due to the rocky relationship he & Martz had.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering that a new GM entered the picture, I wonder if this lead to Martz's inevitable "retirement" due to the rocky relationship he & Martz had.

Smith's hand was forced(on multiple fronts).

Keep in mind though Martz "resigned" about a month before Emery was even hired.

Smith and Emery saw eye to eye about as well as Jauron and Angelo did.

Really bad relationship.

Smith and Emery barely spoke to eachother the last two months of Smith's tenure.

Last edited:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Smith's hand was forced(on multiple fronts).

Keep in mind though Martz "resigned" about a month before Emery was even hired.

Smith and Emery saw eye to eye about as well as Jauron and Angelo did.

Really bad relationship.

Smith and Emery barely spoke to eachother the last two months of Smith's tenure.

I think the only time Emery went to bat for Smith was the McClellan pick, but their relationship (Smith/Emery) was a bad one. That was the start of some really dark days for the Bears.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the only time Emery went to bat for Smith was the McClellan pick, but their relationship (Smith/Emery) was a bad one. That was the start of some really dark days for the Bears.

Smith didn't want McClellin from everything I heard.

Wanted C. Jones, W. Mercilus, or Harrison Smith.

That was Emery getting into a dick swinging contest with Smith.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

Poor Phil...his ego was way bigger than credentials. I gave him an incomplete after 2012, after 2013 it was a "WTF!"

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'd be interested to see that. link? or was it radio chatter.