Andrew Shaw to the Canadiens for two second-round picks

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am just saying that Shaw is going to be missed on the ice. Who is going to fill his spot that has the edge that he has? None that I can see in the organization.

A little bit of Weise. Maybe Baun gets another shot at it this year. Hinistroza. Gus. Mashinter. More of Kruger. And if we get Ladd. Sprinkle in some Svedberg.

These are all bigger men who can actually bite not just bark and gnaw at your heels like Shaw.

Weren't there any big strong defenseman falling into the second round? I wouldn't have minded grabbing 3 of them. Shaw was the best Hawk in playoffs, I'm not saying I didn't love him but he had his flaws. No composure, too much time in box, little to know bite. But a gamer, scrapper, he was there and fighting for every inch, he backed down never no matter what you did to him. And he was a spirit, he wasn't no ghost. He helped inspire his teammates for sure.

He's gone and we got a good return, that 160 lb winger will probably cause some havoc on the 3rd or 4th line someday when he gets his chance. He won't be no Shaw. I would have liked to invest in some big body D's.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I am just saying that Shaw is going to be missed on the ice. Who is going to fill his spot that has the edge that he has? None that I can see in the organization.
His "edge" frequently resulted in stupid penalties and was most overrated aspect he brought to the Hawks. His willingness to go to the front of the net and his flashes of top 6 skill on the 4th line will be missed, however.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

His "edge" frequently resulted in stupid penalties and was most overrated aspect he brought to the Hawks. His willingness to go to the front of the net and his flashes of top 6 skill on the 4th line will be missed, however.

I understand that Shaw had some warts but I think that the Hawks will miss him quite a bit. This team doesn't have a lot of grit to begin with and losing Shaw will hurt them.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

I understand that Shaw had some warts but I think that the Hawks will miss him quite a bit. This team doesn't have a lot of grit to begin with and losing Shaw will hurt them.

Shaw was very good at what he did. And he deserves the next contract he's going to get, but he doesn't necessarily deserve it from the hawks. They had a very nice mutually beneficial arrangement just like they've had with other young players who out grew the cap strapped team. This isn't saying you are wrong, I'm agreeing with you in what he brought to the team, but it's something that is replaceable. It's not a finely cultivated talent or ability like shooting, vision, puckhandling, speed. It's a good combination of grit, hard work, scrappiness, and all those other adjectives that exude lower round picks that don't have the skill or talent to be an upper level guy, but the work ethic, leadership, and drive to be in the NHL that make them succeed. He had that, and the more he leaned into the role, the better as an actual player he got. Do I think he'll ever get back up to 20 goals somewhere else, no, but I think 10-15 will be doable because he works hard and stays around the net and distracts the other team. Again, at the end of the day both sides benefit. Shaw is maxing out his contract and potential. Hawks got a valuable piece of two cup teams, and are able to free up a spot for the next up and comer Shaw player who is going to be cheaper and help keep the core intact.

Last edited:

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fans tend to overvalue the lunch pail guys.
I remember when Wiz left.
Holy poop balls.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glad Stan was able to get some picks for him at least. I'll miss Shaw, but this was the right move.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Fans tend to overvalue the lunch pail guys.
I remember when Wiz left.
Holy poop balls.

The end is nigh. We will never see another shot blocking hard nosed offensive minded talent to the likes of Wiz ever again...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was a poster on IHN, called himself IMISSWIZ. He loved Wiz and would constantly argue about how good and valuable Wiz was to the Hawks. He ended up getting banned in the middle of a argument with a few different posters.

Better that Columbus(?) gave him that fat check rather than the Hawks.

Last edited:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was a poster on IHN, called himself IMISSWIZ. He loved Wiz and would constantly argue about how good and valuable Wiz was to the Hawks. He ended up getting banned in the middle of a argument with a few different posters.

Better that Columbus(?) gave him that fat check rather than the Hawks.

I had totally forgot about that guy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drafted him in the 5th, flipped him for a pair of second-rounders. That's some pretty good work there.

Now about those 2016 trade deadline deals ...

my grade on those will be determined by getting a cap friendly deal from a player in each trade. So if we can sign Fleishman and Ladd longterm, then they were good deals that made us better both then and in the future.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Shaw was 24 nothing to do with getting younger. Shaw was a role player who priced himself out of Chicago for good play. Can only hope more role depth guys play at that level

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Comcast SportsNet ‏@CSNChicago · 13m13 minutes ago

Canadiens agree to six-year deal with former #Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw: http://cmcst.sn/fV6c #HawksTalk

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
6 year 3.9 million per.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree. No way Blackhawks could've coughed up that $$$ without trading a "core" player.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1LW Lottery strikes again.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Too rich for our blood.