Class Sleepers – NFC North

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not sure if posted before, but couldn't find it on the first page.

Chicago Bears – Jordan Howard, RB Indiana 5th rd. 11th pick (#150 overall)

After not resigning veteran Matt Forte the Bears were looking to add both depth and talent to the running back position. By selecting Howard in the fifth round the Bears added a bruising north south downhill runner who will be a perfect complement to last year’s fourth round selection Jeremy Langford.

Howard, who played only one season for the Hoosiers after Alabama-Birmingham shutdown their football program, rushed for over 1,200 yards and nine touchdowns in just nine games. Late in the season on consecutive weeks Howard rushed for 174 yards versus Iowa and followed that up with 238 yards against Michigan’s eighth ranked (nationally) defense the following week. The 238 yards were the second most an opponent has ever gained against a wolverine defense.

Howard is a big back who runs behinds his pads and who can deliver jarring hits on opposing defenders. Howard has good vision and balance. Easily running through arm tackles, and requiring multiple defenders to bring him down.

Look for Chicago to throw him in the mix at running back early on in the season complimenting Langford’s quickness and shiftiness with Howard’s power and physical style giving the Bears a capable one two punch.

With head coach John Fox’s affinity for big powerful runners it would also not surprise me if Howard ended up starting for the Bears next season.

You can find the NFC North sleepers here: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/class-sleepers-nfc-north/

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised if he started or at minimum gets almost as many carries as Langford (assuming he is the starter) but he had trouble staying on the field at IU. I hope that last year was an aberration and he is more durable than what he showed last year. It was a great pick in the 5th round.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised if he started or at minimum gets almost as many carries as Langford (assuming he is the starter) but he had trouble staying on the field at IU. I hope that last year was an aberration and he is more durable than what he showed last year. It was a great pick in the 5th round.

Howard missed all of the preseason workouts. He missed rookie mini camp, OTAs and veteran's mini camp. I think he worked out partially on the last day of mini camp but wasn't in 11 on 11 or any of the real team oriented activities. Howard will have to have a major training camp if he's even healthy at all.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard missed all of the preseason workouts. He missed rookie mini camp, OTAs and veteran's mini camp. I think he worked out partially on the last day of mini camp but wasn't in 11 on 11 or any of the real team oriented activities. Howard will have to have a major training camp if he's even healthy at all.

Yeah I think there's a reason Howard was there in the 5th. Most ppl had him in the late 2 to early 4 range. He may've came pre-injured which dropped his stock

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think people are vastly overrating Howard. Rookie RB's typically struggle in their first year as they adjust to the speed of the game. He was a 5th round back, I'm not expecting much from him this year although if he turns out to be a stud I will be pleasantly surprised.

Trump32

Liked Posts:
I'm expecting a lot more out of the offensive line as far as the Run game. I think the health of the Oline is the biggest factor in the success of the Run game. One injury can derail everything. If they win the injury lottery I can see the backs being a very successful group. A lot of this hinges on Langford's stone hands improving.