Only as Good as Weakest Link: Winningest College Coach P. Summitt

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Only as Good as Weakest Link: Winningest College Coach P. Summit

Heard (late) Pat Summitt interview today (winningest coach college basketball: 1,098 wins/8 national championships). She said a team is only as good as it's weakest link. That summary surprised me a little.

There's been many a game watching the Bears I'm sure she was right.

Who do you think is the Bears current, or likely, weakest link?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Last year the weakest link was the center position on offense and inside linebacker on defense.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
She was the ultimate motivator. Biggest stat that really sticks out, every person she ever coached in her 40 years graduated.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
At the moment I would say CB, with hopes that Deon Bush is going to change that.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
At the moment I would say CB, with hopes that Deon Bush is going to change that.

You think CB is weakest link? Both Fuller and Porter equally?

hmm...

Weakest link, in the context of the OP question, would be the worst player on the field -- coupled with the extent to which the opposing team can exploit that player.

CBs can certainly be heavily exploited. You can give him some Safety help. But I tend to see Fuller and Porter as being fairly solid, but you might be right.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
QB. Every decision the organization makes is designed to limit that position's impact on the game.

Going by severity, can't argue that QB as your worst player will cost you the most.

If they really wanted to limit that position's impact (Cutler) on the game as much as possible, wouldn't they go Wildcat?

Bronze65

Liked Posts:
QB. Every decision the organization makes is designed to limit that position's impact on the game.

Complete garbage. Peyton Manning was less than average last year and the Broncos won the super bowl.

AussieBear

Only as Good as Weakest Link: Winningest College Coach P. Summit

Heard (late) Pat Summitt interview today (winningest coach college basketball: 1,098 wins/8 national championships). She said a team is only as good as it's weakest link. That summary surprised me a little.

There's been many a game watching the Bears I'm sure she was right.

Who do you think is the Bears current, or likely, weakest link?

new faces.... the lack of cohesion and synergy... lack of depth across the board

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the fuck kind of OP is that?

You want us to ruminate on some fucking ancient, hackneyed cliche with zero context?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Patrick Omameh/Vlad Ducasse had to have been the worst football players the Bears started last year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is just a saying. There have been championship teams with bad players on them. And at important positions.....it really is how dominate the best player is.....that is very true in many sports.

Basketball especially....the court is limited to a few players and one person can take things over......football less so.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What the fuck kind of OP is that?

You want us to ruminate on some fucking ancient, hackneyed cliche with zero context?
Sure! Go for it!

it's just a conversation starter...

You can comment on who you think/predict will be the weakest player on the field.

Or you can comment on Summitt's quote about "a team is only as good as it's weakest link".

Hitting 1,000 college basketball wins, she had a 84% winning percentage, onto 8 national championships, and 38 years as a head coach. She knew a lot about making successful teams.

She (I surmise) concentrated on having/making every player good, as opposed to having a few super stars (as a policy and priority).

With Fox ditching some "stars", among other things, it looks to me Fox and Fangio are more about solid, complete and comprehensive team over a few "stars".

They talk about "impact players", but they're spreading out the bank.

There's some context, Botty-O'boy!

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It is just a saying. There have been championship teams with bad players on them. And at important positions.....it really is how dominate the best player is.....that is very true in many sports.

Basketball especially....the court is limited to a few players and one person can take things over......football less so.

That's party true... but classic example against that philosophy was early M. Jordan thumping 60 points a game, but the 6 championships only came when Bulls assembled a nifty supporting cast.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's party true... but classic example against that philosophy was early M. Jordan thumping 60 points a game, but the 6 championships only came when Bulls assembled a nifty supporting cast.

still the team didn't ride on what BJ Armstrong did....the weakest link......or Luc Longly

mmkyszka

Liked Posts:
Actually, Harry Statham is the all time winningest coach in college basketball.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Sure! Go for it!

it's just a conversation starter...

You can comment on who you think/predict will be the weakest player on the field.

Or you can comment on Summitt's quote about "a team is only as good as it's weakest link".

Hitting 1,000 college basketball wins, she had a 84% winning percentage, onto 8 national championships, and 38 years as a head coach. She knew a lot about making successful teams.

She (I surmise) concentrated on having/making every player good, as opposed to having a few super stars (as a policy and priority).

With Fox ditching some "stars", among other things, it looks to me Fox and Fangio are more about solid, complete and comprehensive team over a few "stars".

They talk about "impact players", but they're spreading out the bank.

There's some context, Botty-O'boy!

She also coached college, not the pros.

Jordan never averaged 60 points a game. His average always stayed above 30. I highly doubt Jack Haley & Trent Tucker were the final pieces to any puzzle.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
She also coached college, not the pros.

Jordan never averaged 60 points a game.

k

His average always stayed above 30. I highly doubt Jack Haley & Trent Tucker were the final pieces to any puzzle

Obviously there's rotation of players in basketball during the game. I don't know what % of total minutes Haley and Tucker were on the court. Nor do I know how good they were. Question would be, (assuming they had significant time on the court) how often were teams able to take advantage of Haley or Tucker in scoring, rebounds or steals?

That's what she's talking about: the cost of the weakest link when they're in play. I'm just wondering how much that's significant in pro-football, and who might be the weakest links on the Bears this year?