Luck signs 5 year extension. $75m over first three years.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
His offensive line has also been complete shit the past few years. A few reasons why he is always banged up and takes so many hits. If the colts could put a competent team around him, they should be good for a long time. That division is somewhat up and coming though with the Jags and the Titan's aren't going to be a pushover anymore with the youth of talent they are acquiring.

They really should be pretty good this year. Bortles is entering his prime and has some toys to play with. They have built a pretty good defense (atleast on paper). I think they should have a winning record this year.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, & so are the number of times the Colts have made the postseason with Luck under center with a healthy roster...Luck reminds me a little of a young Favre & that type of QB is going to take a lot of shots with their arm, plus the turnovers that you mentioned are always easier to take when that QB throws twice as many TD's & basically proved right away that he is the main reason Indy has been to the postseason all but 1 year with Luck as their starter, & really only missed this year because the Colts roster was splurged with numerous injuries.

I don't know how anyone who is routing for a team like the Bears who are stuck on stupid with a guy like Cutler, who can either lead the league in turnovers or play to not make mistakes to the tune of a Orton like stat line, like last season to assure that he isn't good enough under center in any manner to lead a team anywhere, could not like the idea of having a QB of Lucks caliber long term, knowing that they are paying him as a proven commodity & for his upside also.

I only wish the Bears had the brains to get a QB like Luck & were able to lock him down long term.

I am on board with luck being a good player, and more than willing to throw last year out due to injury and whatnot. And again, were I a colt fan I would agree that they had to do it... but the jury is still out for me.

28 total tds his rookie year and 23 giveaways.
27 total tds and only 11 giveaways year 2.
43 total tds and 22 giveaways year 3.

His completion percentage is average, his rating suffers as a result, and the turnovers are bothersome. He is incredibly prolific, averaging over 600 passes a year his first 3, so his numbers are gaudy.
I am looking at Blake bortles, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr and seeing similar production and talent. Hell- comparing Stafford from 2011-2015 to Luck from 2012-2014, their numbers are virtually identical... with 1 outlier year for each guy with 40+ tds and under 20 picks.

The guy is a good player for sure... but is he head and shoulders above guys and his age range? I go against the grain and say no- he needs to trim the turnovers for me to say that.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could see this coming with QB salaries getting out of control. Colts just have to hope Luck has the stomach to live up to it.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It all depends on the Colts putting a good offensive line together and giving Luck some help. This guy is the real deal but the Colts have failed to protect the guy and it is ridiculous.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am on board with luck being a good player, and more than willing to throw last year out due to injury and whatnot. And again, were I a colt fan I would agree that they had to do it... but the jury is still out for me.

28 total tds his rookie year and 23 giveaways.
27 total tds and only 11 giveaways year 2.
43 total tds and 22 giveaways year 3.

His completion percentage is average, his rating suffers as a result, and the turnovers are bothersome. He is incredibly prolific, averaging over 600 passes a year his first 3, so his numbers are gaudy.
I am looking at Blake bortles, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr and seeing similar production and talent. Hell- comparing Stafford from 2011-2015 to Luck from 2012-2014, their numbers are virtually identical... with 1 outlier year for each guy with 40+ tds and under 20 picks.

The guy is a good player for sure... but is he head and shoulders above guys and his age range? I go against the grain and say no- he needs to trim the turnovers for me to say that.

Stats don't always tell the whole story.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stats don't always tell the whole story.

No, they do not- however, I am still waiting to see what separates him head and shoulders above his peers.

I am not buying the 2-14 to 11-5 being all him as a rookie... the colts team was 10-5 in 2010, and in 2011 they got a whopping 14 tds and 14 ints over 16 games out of the scrubs at QB... that is the entire story of 2011.

Luck had a very good season in 2014, but I am not buying one season as a career- See Stafford 2011 (which by the way was games 13 thru 29 of his career, earlier than lucks great season).
Or Griffen 2012.
Or Kaepernick 2013.
Or maybe even Cousins, Newton, and Carr of 2015.

Point being, Luck has a long way to go to reach Wilson status.
Luck in my opinion is mixed in with a handful of guys in the lower tier until such time as he shows he can make the smart choices when the games are close.
Wilson beats Luck in every category- every single last one. luck is a career 2-1 td to int guy prior to the dismal 2015 season, and wilson is over 3-1. Wilson has twice as many runs as luck, over twice the yardage, and they both have the same amount of fumbles.

Yeah, stats are not the whole story- but they are a big part of it. When you bring in the intangibles and extras, I don't see where luck is standing alone over Carr, Wilson, Newton, Bortles, or even Cousins.
As it stands, I am taking Wilson 10 times out of 10 if I have to choose between the 2 of them- and he might not even rank a second choice if any young QB in the league is available. I am leaning towards Carr as my #2 choice.

If I am reading you wrong here, forgive me- but if you are trying to make the point that Luck is the next rodgers or Brady, I am not seeing it.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
No, they do not- however, I am still waiting to see what separates him head and shoulders above his peers.

I am not buying the 2-14 to 11-5 being all him as a rookie... the colts team was 10-5 in 2010, and in 2011 they got a whopping 14 tds and 14 ints over 16 games out of the scrubs at QB... that is the entire story of 2011.

Luck had a very good season in 2014, but I am not buying one season as a career- See Stafford 2011 (which by the way was games 13 thru 29 of his career, earlier than lucks great season).
Or Griffen 2012.
Or Kaepernick 2013.

Luck in my opinion is mixed in with a handful of guys in the lower tier until such time as he shows he can make the smart choices when the games are close.
Wilson beats Luck in every category- every single last one. luck is a career 2-1 td to int guy prior to the dismal 2015 season, and wilson is over 3-1. Wilson has twice as many runs as luck, over twice the yardage, and they both have the same amount of fumbles.

Yeah, stats are not the whole story- but they are a big part of it. When you bring in the intangibles and extras, I don't see where luck is standing alone over Carr, Wilson, Newton, Bortles, or even Cousins.
As it stands, I am taking Wilson 10 times out of 10 if I have to choose between the 2 of them- and he might not even rank a second choice if any young QB in the league is available. I am leaning towards Carr as my #2 choice.

If I am reading you wrong here, forgive me- but if you are trying to make the point that Luck is the next rodgers or Brady, I am not seeing it.

No doubt, Luck's been carrying an eminence front.

There's also still an apparent lack of excellent QBs in the league, so he's still able to look comparatively indispensable.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Or Griffen 2012.
Or Kaepernick 2013.

If I had my choice of any NFL QB to play in the next ten years it would be Luck hands down. QBs need help around them and the Colts haven't given him any. But talent-wise, Luck has it all and his up side is huge.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Or Griffen 2012.
Or Kaepernick 2013.

To me he is indeed in the next tier of QB's. He inherited a horrible team and instantly made them better, that's more important than any stat out there for me. With that said, he does need reign in his errand throws and ints, but I would take him over any other young QB with Wilson a fairly close 2nd.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To me he is indeed in the next tier of QB's. He inherited a horrible team and instantly made them better, that's more important than any stat out there for me. With that said, he does need reign in his errand throws and ints, but I would take him over any other young QB with Wilson a fairly close 2nd.

I didnt see the colts team as terrible- 10-6 in 2010 with a limping Manning putting up his worst season in 8 years with a 23rd ranked d... they dont find out Manning is until the pre season with zero time to prepare, and they shit out Painter and orlovsky for 14 tds and 14 ints.
Luck walked in to a good team- the 2011 season was an absolute sham.
We are talking about a team that went for double digit wins 9 consecutive years before 2011. To paint the colts as a bad situation is flat out wrong.
The ineptitude was 100% the QBs- of the 3 that played for them in 2011, they combine for a grand total of 63 attempts in the NFL for 1 td and 3 ints since the end of the 2011 season. they were literal dogshit.

Wilson gave a FAR bigger boost to the seahawks, Smith gave a FAR bigger boost to the chiefs, and both of those teams were undoubtedly worse than the 2011 seahawks as a whole.

Luck may wind up being great... but I do not agree that he is at this point, and Wilson leads the pack of the young QBs imo. Carr coming up as a close second.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I earlier said that Luck was the guy that I wanted if I had to choose one young qb. Upon reflection, I'd have to put Cam at the top with Luck second. over-all.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
If I had my choice of any NFL QB to play in the next ten years it would be Luck hands down. QBs need help around them and the Colts haven't given him any. But talent-wise, Luck has it all and his up side is huge.

No help as in which side of the ball? Defensively I'll give you that. Offensively, they draft receivers and line for him like every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts_draft_history#2011_Draft

Aaron GODgers for example doesn't use crap line and bleh receivers as an excuse. If anything he's picking you apart and wants to hang on to the ball even more because of it rather than forcing bad passes.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didnt see the colts team as terrible- 10-6 in 2010 with a limping Manning putting up his worst season in 8 years with a 23rd ranked d... they dont find out Manning is until the pre season with zero time to prepare, and they shit out Painter and orlovsky for 14 tds and 14 ints.
Luck walked in to a good team- the 2011 season was an absolute sham.
We are talking about a team that went for double digit wins 9 consecutive years before 2011. To paint the colts as a bad situation is flat out wrong.
The ineptitude was 100% the QBs- of the 3 that played for them in 2011, they combine for a grand total of 63 attempts in the NFL for 1 td and 3 ints since the end of the 2011 season. they were literal dogshit.

Wilson gave a FAR bigger boost to the seahawks, Smith gave a FAR bigger boost to the chiefs, and both of those teams were undoubtedly worse than the 2011 seahawks as a whole.

Luck may wind up being great... but I do not agree that he is at this point, and Wilson leads the pack of the young QBs imo. Carr coming up as a close second.

10 years of winning is a prime reason why that team was really lacking in the talent category, constantly drafting at the back end of every round. I can't believe you're saying that was a talented team, talented teams don't draft 1st overall. It's fine if you don't like the guy, just say that though. He's an impressive QB to watch play and he was from his very first snap.

Roles reversed, Luck has a ring or 2 and Wilson is likely not even in this conversation and I like Wilson BTW. I have since his first season, but he has not had to carry that team like Luck had to every Sunday.

Last edited:

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
10 years of winning is a prime reason why that team was really lacking in the talent category, constantly drafting at the back end of every round. I can't believe you're saying that was a talented team, talented teams don't draft 1st overall. It's fine if you don't like the guy, just say that though. He's an impressive QB to watch play and he was from his very first snap.

Roles reversed, Luck has a ring or 2 and Wilson is likely not even in this conversation and I like Wilson BTW. I have since his first season, but he has not had to carry that team like Luck had to every Sunday.

I still think the colts are a very stacked team due to the luxury of never really having to draft for need.
Much like the pats IMO- 15 years of being rock solid all the way around.
Also, much like the pats, I would bet a QB of even Cassels dubious quality would have been enough to get the colts 9-10 wins in 2011. (see Brady's acl year)
It is worth noting that Freeman and Hasselback went 6-3 in starts with the colts last year to Lucks 2-5.

Any team that goes 6-3 with Freeman and Hasselback coming off the bench with little or no preparation is a solid team. We are talking about 10 tds combined over 9 games, 6 picks, and roughly an 80 passer rating.... which is in fact far, FAR superior to what they got in 2011.

Packaged that way, Luck was in fact a negative to the team last season due to whatever was ailing him. They are probably looking at 9 wins minimum with an uninjured guy under center.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No help as in which side of the ball? Defensively I'll give you that. Offensively, they draft receivers and line for him like every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts_draft_history#2011_Draft

Aaron GODgers for example doesn't use crap line and bleh receivers as an excuse. If anything he's picking you apart and wants to hang on to the ball even more because of it rather than forcing bad passes.

Rodgers is a HOFer and so is Brady. We are talking about a young quarterback in Luck and trying to project him down the road. He has got all of the tools to be a excellent quarterback is my assessment. He's not there yet, but I wouldn't bet against him becoming the next great NFL quarterback.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Luck has the talent to be among the best of his position. Like a lot of people here, I'm not ready to anoint him, yet. He needs a lot of help. The Colts are learning that its a bit tougher to build a championship level team w/out a a great GM. Time will tell.....

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Luck has the talent to be among the best of his position. Like a lot of people here, I'm not ready to anoint him, yet. He needs a lot of help. The Colts are learning that its a bit tougher to build a championship level team w/out a a great GM. Time will tell.....

That is exactly where I am at. He has the tools to get it done, but I want to see him put it all together for a couple years before calling him great.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:

The 2011/12 Colts weren't your typical bad team picking first overall.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
so Andrew Luck is the greatest QB prospect ever, but has failed to get the Colts to the Super Bowl, so he's a turnover-prone piece of garbage (every one of these points have been noted in multiple threads, and I don't go dumpster diving in old threads, so fuck you in advance) yet he does the same exact things that people condemn Jay Cutler for (and boy have they for the last 7 years) but he's a stud and totally worth every cent owed to him.

did I cover all the bases?

EDIT: before your vaginas get tangled in knots, I'm applying a heavy amount of snark here just to get everyone's blood pressure up

I like Luck, but these points r well taken. It's almost, almost like given away / trading away 2 first round draft choices for qb whose never even been to the playoffs. At least Luck has been 2 da playoffs. Again.... these points r well taken

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He has performed well at times, no doubt. But his passer rating is lower than Jay Cutler's and we know how much Jay Cutler is loved and respected around here. I guess if you throw out the rookie season and last year when he was terrible, he's done pretty well for a young qb.

Luck has been a winner regardless of stats, ratings etc.