Kevin Barkley vs Charles Durant thread formerly AtL

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It doesn't matter who are on the teams. The Warriors with Durant could win 80 games and it's still possible that a 57 win team could challenge them for a title. The regular season is about the most consistent team. A 7 game series can see a less consistent team get hot and challenge an arguably better team.

Which leads me back to the point. For evidence of the fact that 57 win teams can challenge for a title against 73 win teams see the 2016 playoffs

Barkley is crying because Durant got a better job offer. That is all. He's a hypocrite because the Rockets team he went too was championship caliber.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks.

On a completely unrelated note but directed at you...Would you say that, without Durant, the Warriors are the best NBA team heading into the 2016-2017 season? I would. Would you say that, with Durant, the Warriors are the best NBA team heading into the 2016-2017 season? If not, then God help you.

Would you say that, without Barkley, the Rockets were better than the 72-10 Bulls heading into the 1996-97 season? I wouldn't. Would you say that, with Barkley, the Rockets were better than the 72-10 Bulls heading into the 1996-97 season? I wouldn't.

I think he just muddy that the Warriors went 73-9. I think he is just muddy that if they beat that next year. They will probably go down as the greatest team ever.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Barkley is crying because Durant got a better job offer. That is all. He's a hypocrite because the Rockets team he went too was championship caliber.

I think you've failed to grasp what Barkley was "crying" about. It is not about just going to a championship contender. Every single player wants that. It's about the 2nd leading scorer in the NBA, leaving a CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER that was up 3-1 in the WCF, to go to the team that beat you in that very same WCF. Barkley is 100% right that it is a weak move. You can call him a hypocrite all you want but the situations have ZERO comparison.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players on the team don't matter.

Team records don't matter.

Any free agency move ever is exactly comparable to Barkley getting traded to the Suns.

Got it.

Good thread guys

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
??????

I would think it would matter if your point was that Barkley went to a team that was comparable to the 2016 Warriors, and use the time when Barkley was on the team as the point of comparison (57 wins vs. 48 wins). It would be like saying LeBron James went to a Heat team that was comparable to the 2016 Warriors, and using James' 1st year with the Heat as the point of comparison.

It makes absolutely zero sense, and is 100% incorrect.

So, if Durant and the Warriors go 80-2 and win the title, would you say the 2017 Warriors are comparable to the 1997 Rockets because the Rockets hypothetically could have challenged the Warriors for a title?

Contradictory statement. Durant didn't get a better job offer because both the Rockets and Warriors are of "championship caliber". Barkley can't be upset because what Durant did was "better', yet at the same time be "hypocritical" because what Durant did was the "same".

They both went to championship contending teams. That is what makes Barkley's crying hypocritical. Further, the fact he went to the Rockets leads me to belive that if the Bulls or Jazz had come calling he would not have refused. One can be a hypocrite for not only through one's actions but also if you chastise someone for doing something you would have also done if given the opportunity. Barkley simply never had the opportunity to go play with the Bulls.

Having said that, Durant clearly went to the better team. Things can be comparable without being equal or the same.

Pretty simple concept really.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at anyone considering the 48 win and 5 seeded Rockets as championship contenders after the 1996 NBA season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't mind me...I'm just keeping a running tally here for reference purposes...carry on...

Your being dense again. The first comment was I relation to my argument which was not based on theit records but the fact that the team had 3 stars on it once be Barkley was added.

You then started throwing out records and as it relates to your specific argument about records, my point is a 57 win team and a 73 win team are both championship teams so in the context of your moaning about records who cares who is on the teams. We know the players on the teams must be good because they won 57 and 73 games.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
LOL at anyone considering the 48 win and 5 seeded Rockets as championship contenders after the 1996 NBA season.

not to mention swept in the 2nd round

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Right Barkley went to then because he thought they were not. Try had 2 of the greatest players in NBA history and obviously Barkley though adding him would improve them contending. They also had won the championship just recently and 96 a down year for them directly in part to injuries.

So now you are rewriting history in pretending like Barkley couldn't easily see that they were championship caliber. He was obviously right because they won 57 games the year after and we're simply beat by a 64 win team.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your being dense again. The first comment was I relation to my argument which was not based on theit records but the fact that the team had 3 stars on it once be Barkley was added.

You then started throwing out records and as it relates to your specific argument about records, my point is a 57 win team and a 73 win team are both championship teams so in the context of your moaning about records who cares who is on the teams. We know the players on the teams must be good because they won 57 and 73 games.
:aj:

The 1996 Rockets were not a 57 win team and were not championship contenders.

No idea why you are evaluating what they were AFTER they got Barkley, very good, with what they were before they got Barkley, a 5 Seed.

The Warriors prior to Durant were 3 minutes away from being one of the best teams in basketball history. Prior to Barkley the Rockets got swept in the 2nd round.

COMPARABLE!

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right Barkley went to then because he thought they were not. Try had 2 of the greatest players in NBA history and obviously Barkley though adding him would improve them contending. They also had won the championship just recently and 96 a down year for them directly in part to injuries.

So now you are rewriting history in pretending like Barkley couldn't easily see that they were championship caliber. He was obviously right because they won 57 games the year after and we're simply beat by a 64 win team.

You're remytarded. I'm sure Barkley felt that with him the Rockets could win a title. (Duh). It's not the same as Durant walking onto a team that was 73-9 and minutes away from winning one with three all stars in the prime of their careers.

#remyfail

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Rockets in 95 won the championship with 47 regular season wins so 48 games in 96 means nothing. They lost to the Western Conference finals champion.

They were a perennial playoff team and a championship contender. Being a contender doesn't mean you win each and every year.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Rockets in 95 won the championship with 47 regular season wins so 48 games in 96 means nothing. They lost to the Western Conference finals champion.

They were a perennial playoff team and a championship contender. Being a contender doesn't mean you win each and every year.

Any free agency move ever is exactly comparable to Barkley getting traded to the Suns.

Got it.

Good thread guys

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol I see once presented with facts that they were in fact championship contenders you shift quickly to the Rory tactics.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol I see once presented with facts that they were in fact championship contenders you shift quickly to the Rory tactics.

No one considered them contenders prior to Barkley. They were a 5 seed coming off getting swept.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Got it.

Good thread guys

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't believe Rondo chasing rings by going to Chicago

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think you've failed to grasp what Barkley was "crying" about. It is not about just going to a championship contender. Every single player wants that. It's about the 2nd leading scorer in the NBA, leaving a CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER that was up 3-1 in the WCF, to go to the team that beat you in that very same WCF. Barkley is 100% right that it is a weak move. You can call him a hypocrite all you want but the situations have ZERO comparison.

I am aware of that. I am saying it's self serving. Once you demand a trade to go play with 2 of the greatest players players in NBA history, crying about the fact that Durant went and joined 3 stars instead of just 2 stars is lame.

Do you honestly think if the Bulls had wanted to trade for Barkley, he would have said no?

Give me a break. He was chasing a championship just like Durant. Durant just has a better offer so crying about his better offer is dumb.

If Barkely had never chased a championship and stuck it out with his teams then his comments wouldn't be hypocritical. History shows he chased a title just like the guy he is complaining about and it's stupid for him to act like there are some rules or protocols to chasing a ring like never go to the best team in your prime or whatever other nonsense he is going on about.