WR Preview

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...ry-White/f398ca9f-10f8-467b-97d8-f1f0e30f74b2
Receiving corps led by Jeffery, White

Posted Jul 15, 2016
mayer_larry_60x60.jpg
Larry Mayer

When the Bears selected Kevin White with the seventh overall pick in the 2015 draft, they envisioned pairing him with Alshon Jeffery to form a dynamic receiving tandem.

Unfortunately, that never happened last year because White missed his entire rookie season with a leg injury and Jeffery was also hampered with a series of injuries.

But both are back healthy this year and are expected to play integral roles on a Bears offense that also features quarterback Jay Cutler, a group of talented young running backs led by Jeremy Langford, tight end Zach Miller and a revamped line.

Jeffery was selected by the Bears in the second round of the 2012 draft. He was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2013 after catching 89 passes for 1,421 yards and seven touchdowns and followed with 85 receptions for 1,133 yards and 10 TDs in 2014. After appearing in all 16 games in both 2013 and 2014, Jeffery was limited to nine contests last year due to injuries to his calf, hamstring, groin and shoulder. He was productive when healthy, however, catching a team-high 54 passes for 807 yards
and four touchdowns.

White, meanwhile, hopes to pick up where he left off at West Virginia in 2014 when he caught 109 passes for 1,447 yards and 10 touchdowns. Medically cleared to fully participate in this year's offseason program, White impressed coaches and teammates.

"I think the sky is the limit," Cutler said in June. "He's an unbelievable kid. You know that every day he comes to work he's going to give you everything he has. His demeanor on and off the field doesn't change. Physically he can do anything he wants. He's fast, he's strong, he's got good hips. He can get out of breaks. It's just a matter of him mentally getting there so that he can use all of his ability instead of thinking so much."

Jeffery and White aren't the only Bears receivers rebounding from injuries. After playing in 31 of 32 games the previous two seasons with the Chargers, veteran Eddie Royal was limited to nine contests last year in his first season with the Bears due to injuries to his hip, ankle and knee, catching 37 passes for 238 yards and one TD. Marquess Wilson is out indefinitely after fracturing his foot last month in a minicamp practice. It's the same foot he broke last season, causing him to miss the final five games. Wilson could open the season on the physically unable to perform list, which would make him ineligible to play the first six weeks of the regular season.

Other receivers who will be vying for playing time in training camp and the preseason include Joshua Bellamy, Daniel Braverman, Marc Mariani, Cameron Meredith and Deonte Thompson.
Bellamy enters his third season with the Bears. He made the most of expanded playing time last season, appearing in all 16 games with three starts and catching 19 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns, including a 48-yarder against the Arizona Cardinals. Bellamy also ranked second on the team with 10 special-teams tackles.

Braverman was selected by the Bears in the seventh round of this year's draft out of Western Michigan. As a junior last year, he ranked second in the nation with 108 receptions for 1,367 yards and 13 TDs. Mariani excelled last season with the Bears. Appearing in all 16 games with five starts, he established career highs with 22 receptions and 300 yards. Mariani produced first downs on 19 of his 22 catches, including all 11 on third down. He also averaged 6.1 yards on 36 punt returns and 25.8 yards on 36 kickoff returns.

Meredith joined the Bears last year as an undrafted rookie from Illinois State. He played in 11 games and caught 11 passes for 120 yards.

Thompson gave the Bears a boost on special teams late last season, averaging 29.2 yards on 14 kickoff returns with a long of 74 yards in the final seven games. His 29.2-yard average was second in the NFL among players with at least 10 kickoff returns, trailing only the Vikings' Cordarrelle Patterson (31.8). In limited action on offense, Thompson caught two passes for 81 yards, including a 45-yarder in the season finale against the Lions.

Other receivers on the Bears roster are undrafted rookies Kieren Duncan, Derek Keaton and Darrin Peterson.
With Mr Welson out indefinitely, Bellamy, Thompson, Mariani and Meredith have a extra shot to make the team.

WR (6): (4 likely locks) Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman

Who's the remaining two?

1. Bellamy had 10 ST tackles, and answered with 19 rec/224, 2 TD.

2. Mariani was freak'n clutch with 19 1st downs among his 22 rec/300. Question is: can/will he play good ST coverage?

3. Thompsom is our best KR, 29yd avg 2nd in NFL (better than Bolden IMO), who showed some field stretching receptions last yr: 2 rec/81. Question: can he return punts well? If yes, he's my Returner.

KR/PR/S Bolden only avg 23yds on15 KRs, a TD on 5 PRs. I think he also plays ST coverage. Signed 1yr/760k deal with Bears from Broncos. I don't think this is as important as some think.

Thoughts?

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Hard to really speculate until camp. Not sold on Mariani making it though. He'll really have to stand out as a WR because he wasn't dynamic on special teams.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't see how Braverman is a lock but we are an injury or two away from a repeat of 2015.

True, he's not an absolute lock, but I think he's a likely lock because he's on a 7th rd draft contract, was 2nd in the nation with 108 rec (1,367 yd, 13 td). He's profiled with solid technique and quickness out breaks to get open, shifty after catch production, good Fox-friendly work ethic & character, even some PR exp, projected 4-5th rnd.

With the age, injury-concern and price tag of Royal, the age of Mariani, there's a place for a proficient slot guy sooner than later. I'm not alone in projecting a roster spot.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Hard to really speculate until camp. Not sold on Mariani making it though. He'll really have to stand out as a WR because he wasn't dynamic on special teams.

Easy to speculate! :p

Mariani won't make the squad as our Returner. I bet you he won't even compete in camp.

But he impressed me in the slot last year; which was johnny-on-the-spot for our decimated WR bench. I'm not saying it was All-pro, but he produced.

There certainly are quick players like him who make good ST gunners. He knows the return blocking schemes.

I have no idea if there's any intention to try him in ST coverage. If I was him I'd ask for the duty.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
"I think the sky is the limit," Cutler said in June. "He's an unbelievable kid. You know that every day he comes to work he's going to give you everything he has. His demeanor on and off the field doesn't change. Physically he can do anything he wants. He's fast, he's strong, he's got good hips. He can get out of breaks. It's just a matter of him mentally getting there so that he can use all of his ability instead of thinking so much."

Oh shit.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They're going to need Mariani when shins and Alshon go down.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Mariani makes the team, as does Braverman. I'd guess Jeffery, White, Royal, Mariani, Bellamy and Braverman barring injury.....Wilson on PUP.

Last year, the Bears completely 311 passes, only 150 (less than half) to the WRs. I'd like to see that number closer to a 210-100 WR: TE/RB ratio, which seems feasible and probably necessary with no Bennett and Forte.

Jeffery healthy for all 16- gets his usual 85+ catches, 1200+ yards, 8-12 TDs
White, healthy for all 16- puts up 50-60 catches, 750-900 yards, 6-8 TDs
Royal, healthy to start then starts to get phased out a little in the 2nd half to give younger guys a chance puts up 35-45 catches, 375+ yards
Then 15-25 each from Bellamy, Mariani, Braverman/Wilson (combo for last 2 not each).

That leaves 50-55 for Miller, 25-30 for Langford, and then a handful of catches for all the backups at TE/RB.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Oh shit.

Why, how would you describe his demeanor?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think Mariani makes the team, as does Braverman. I'd guess Jeffery, White, Royal, Mariani, Bellamy and Braverman barring injury.....Wilson on PUP.

Last year, the Bears completely 311 passes, only 150 (less than half) to the WRs. I'd like to see that number closer to a 210-100 WR: TE/RB ratio, which seems feasible and probably necessary with no Bennett and Forte.

Royal, healthy to start then starts to get phased out a little in the 2nd half to give younger guys a chance puts up 35-45 catches, 375+ yards
Then 15-25 each from Bellamy, Mariani, Braverman/Wilson (combo for last 2 not each).

That leaves 50-55 for Miller, 25-30 for Langford, and then a handful of catches for all the backups at TE/RB.
Agreed, we want to see a big shift of receptions to our WRs.

Usually you expect the RB to draw tacklers to him on play action fakes, or be a pass blocker. You don't hope your RB provides the best receiving matchup on the field. And you don't hope for a lot of dump-off passes to your RB either.

I also don't want to subject Miller to a ton of hits and tackles. He hasn't proven that kind of durability. And we hope another TE will show up for us to split snaps with Miller. I have a good feeling about Braunecker.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Agreed, we want to see a big shift of receptions to our WRs.

Usually you expect the RB to draw tacklers to him on play action fakes, or be a pass blocker. You don't hope your RB provides the best receiving matchup on the field. And you don't hope for a lot of dump-off passes to your RB either.

I also don't want to subject Miller to a ton of hits and tackles. He hasn't proven that kind of durability. And we hope another TE will show up for us to split snaps with Miller. I have a good feeling about Braunecker.
Plus, passes to WR = more yardage. RBs and TEs are often checkdowns. WRs typically put up bigger yards per catch numbers for several reasons (more routes down the field, better YAC, fewer tacklers outside the numbers where WRs are). Cutler can complete the same 311 passes this year and have over 4000 yards if pass distribution changes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
They're going to need Mariani when shins and Alshon go down.

Pretty stupid to assume stuff off of what happened the previous season. Remember when AP duplicated his 2000 yard season in 2013???? Or when Strahan broke his sack record again in 2002?? Me neither.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

I like Mariani a lot; he was super reliable and clutch when called upon. He's not the most athletic, but he can come up big when needed.

He'll stick.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Pretty much every single team in the NFL is an injury or two away from playing average to below average WR's.

Pretty stupid to assume stuff off of what happened the previous season. Remember when AP duplicated his 2000 yard season in 2013???? Or when Strahan broke his sack record again in 2002?? Me neither.

Injury histories should affect how you build your team. Was anybody shocked by the Marquess Wilson news? He won't even be eligible to return till after week 6, so absolutely best case scenario, he plays in 10 games, I will be surprised by any more than 8.

I'm a Bears fan, I want them all to play all the games, but the reality is Alshon, and Royal will probably miss games. If that happens while Wilson is out, were talking about an untested rookie and a bunch of #5's. That is a very realistic and frightening possibility.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Mariani a lot; he was super reliable and clutch when called upon. He's not the most athletic, but he can come up big when needed.

He'll stick.

Mariani will be lucky to make the team this year, do you watch the games?