Best non-'06 Brian Urlacher Bears squad

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO there are three to pick from.

You got Jauron's 13-3 bunch from 2001, Brian's 2nd season.

Then you got another 2nd-seeder that also got bounced by a 3rd in the divisional, the 11-5 Lovie Smith 2005 installment.

Finally, the 2010 Bears (also coached by Lovie, also 11-5, also 2nd-seed) that actually did make it to the NFCCG but, let's face it, via a 7-9 team. Are they still the better of the three anyway? Or is it '01 or '05?

It's came down between 2001 and 2010 for me:

I'd go with 2001. The offense was better and more efficient and neither had truly appetizing options at WR but at least the 2001 Bears could hang their hat on Marty Booker. The 2010 Bears leading pass catcher was Matt Forte/Johnny Knox. Cutler was better than Miller in the respective seasons but Miller was at least more consistent and you knew what you were getting week in and week out. Cutler was more volatile. The 2001 offensive line was MUCH better.

Neither defense was great against the pass but the 2001 Bears lead the NFL in Pts Against(which I had completely forgotten about)

The conversation might boil down to who you want at QB and if Julius Peppers(a DPOY candidate) on the 2010 defense is enough to counterbalance the 2001 team leading the NFL in pts allowed.

But what say you CCS?

Best non-'06 Brian Urlacher Bears squad

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
As a purely, non-objective post, I say 2001 just because there were no legitimate expectations for anyone on that team.

That was the last season Training Camp was held in Platteville and I enjoyed meeting Urlacher that year and getting his autograph as an 8 year old. The San Francisco and Cleveland games that year are memories that I will never forget and cemented my fandom as a Bears fan.

I also remember the Washington game where Urlacher caught a TD on a fake FG attempt, and it was the last year of "Old" Soldier Field.

2005 was great defensively, but aside from Thomas Jones, the offense was a disaster.

2010 is a close second, but 2001 was just so much better because I felt the 2001 Bears were better overall whereas the 10 Bears were more lucky overall (even though 2 straight 2 TD comebacks is nearly impossible). The 2010 Bears felt like there were some expectations because of Cutler/Peppers, but I felt the 01 Bears were more enjoyable and therefore "better"

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a purely, non-objective post, I say 2001 just because there were no legitimate expectations for anyone on that team.

That was the last season Training Camp was held in Platteville and I enjoyed meeting Urlacher that year and getting his autograph as an 8 year old. The San Francisco and Cleveland games that year are memories that I will never forget and cemented my fandom as a Bears fan.

I also remember the Washington game where Urlacher caught a TD on a fake FG attempt, and it was the last year of "Old" Soldier Field.

2005 was great defensively, but aside from Thomas Jones, the offense was a disaster.

2010 is a close second, but 2001 was just so much better because I felt the 2001 Bears were better overall whereas the 10 Bears were more lucky. The 2010 Bears felt like there were some expectations because of Cutler/Peppers, but I felt the 01 Bears were more enjoyable.
See,

I feel like the 2001 Bears were more lucky. Look at the SF and Cleveland games.

I will agree though the 2001 team was MUCH more enjoyable.

I wanted to give 2005 more of a mention because that defense was ridiculously dominant(and Urlacher won DPOY) and had the most dominating defensive performance I've ever seen(vs Carolina in the regular season) aside from the mid to late 80's Bears defenses... but that offense was SO bad it's tough to elevate the entire team above excellent defenses in 2001 and 2010 and average offenses in 2001 and while not even good, better offense(compared to 2005) in 2010.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I felt way more hope with the 2005 team. The future was looking bright. You could tell the 2001 and 2010 teams were good squads, but didn't have as high of a ceiling as the 2005 team.

But to answer the question in the OP, I'd have to go with the 2001 team. Better record, better offensively, and was a breath of fresh air after the abysmal baers 90's, and having gone just 5-11 the year prior. That high didn't last long though, as they fell hard in 2002.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

2010 is a close second, but 2001 was just so much better because I felt the 2001 Bears were better overall whereas the 10 Bears were more lucky overall (even though 2 straight 2 TD comebacks is nearly impossible). The 2010 Bears felt like there were some expectations because of Cutler/Peppers, but I felt the 01 Bears were more enjoyable and therefore "better"

Who's this guy?

2001 squad was obviously the "luckiest", as the record the year before and after was 5-11 and 4-12 respectively. Not to mention, they didn't even make it out of the divisional round.

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
See,

I wanted to give 2005 more of a mention because that defense was ridiculously dominant(and Urlacher won DPOY) and had the most dominating defensive performance I've ever seen(vs Carolina in the regular season) aside from the mid to late 80's Bears defenses... but that offense was SO bad it's tough to elevate the entire team above excellent defenses in 2001 and 2010 and average offenses in 2001 and while not even good, better offense(compared to 2005) in 2010.

Yeah, I added that to my post, and I think my feelings about 01 are viewed through a kid's lens. That will always be nostalgia to me.

I just remember the non-catch week 1 vs. Detroit and the Packers penalizing themselves out of the game in week 3, and I remember the clunkers the Bears played against Seattle and Washington in back-to-back weeks in 2010.

I can't find the stats on PFR from the 05 Carolina game, but I remember the 06 Arizona game (not here or there, still a dominant performance)

Also, if I recall the 05 team clinched the division on Christmas, which was cool as well. I know I'm not providing much in objective analysis, but those are the only "good" teams I've seen. :lol:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2001 is second only to 2006 as the season I've most enjoyed watching in the last 25 years. I thought they were a .500 team on talent that somehow begged, borrowed and stole its way to 13 wins out of nowhere. The SF/Cle back to back games are like nothing we'll ever see again. The Mike Brown walk off OT pick 6's in consecutive weeks was ridiculous enough, but both games went into OT after miraculous comebacks, especially the way the Browns game ended. I'll always remember that season very fondly.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 2001 team was smoke and mirrors. It was enjoyable to watch but I never had any illusion that they would do anything in the playoffs. 2010 I think..but not by a whole bunch. They did make it to the NFC championship and the game was certainly closer than the drubbing they received in their one and done 2001 season.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
See,

I was at the 2001 Browns game. Hugging people I didn't even know and shouting 6-1 over and over again. Went with my dad who is a Browns fan (actually my 2nd favorite team) and he couldn't believe it. The Browns actually were good for there standards that year and that loss was what derailed their season.

2001 was really lucky. They even got lucky in the Tampa game where the game ending FG hit the upright. I knew they were lucky and it probably wouldn't go their way in the playoffs. But I didn't care because I was so sick of losing in the late 90s.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
2001 for me, considering all the unlucky shit and just plain abysmal franchise management in the 90's. That year was a good one to be a Bears fan.

Probably wasn't the ideal scenario for JA though

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
The Bears were goddamn assassins that year.

Miller comes off the bench to replace Noodle Arm in one of the first post 9-11 games, and helps grind out a 17-10 win against the 'Queens.

Shutting down that scrub Corey Dillon and shutting out the Bungles.

Urlacher catching a pass from Maynard on a play called "the ninja."

Keith Traylor and Ted Washington eating running backs - and making INT's in some cases...

[video=youtube;yNnnwSTIEkQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNnnwSTIEkQ[/video]

2001 was a magical year and wins hands down.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
See,

Oh man, I was like 15 at the time of that Carolina game you mentioned. Drove down to Rockford with my cousin and bought tix off some guy on the old CBMB. My cousin and I had to sit across the stadium from eachother and it was cold AF. Bears had like 8 sacks that game. What a great memory, thanks for reminding me!

Liked Posts:
2005. Hell I like the 2005 defense better than the 2006 Bears defense. Mostly because of having a healthy DT tandem centered around Tommie Harris & Tank Johnson, all season long in 2005 that they didn't have all season in 2006. You must have that A Gap pressure from a good or better 3-Tech & Shade DT tandem in the face of a QB in order for that system to function to it's full potential. As soon as Tommie went down in 2006 the Bears defense immediately dropped in the rankings, especially vs. the run.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
2005. Hell I like the 2005 defense better than the 2006 Bears defense. Mostly because of having a healthy DT tandem centered around Tommie Harris & Tank Johnson, all season long in 2005 that they didn't have all season in 2006. You must have that A Gap pressure from a good or better 3-Tech & Shade DT tandem in the face of a QB in order for that system to function to it's full potential. As soon as Tommie went down in 2006 the Bears defense immediately dropped in the rankings, especially vs. the run.

Team? Not just the defense.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That 2005 offense under Orton was kinda hilarious..... remember that 10-7 win over the Jets where the only offense all game was Mark Bradley breaking a tackle on a curl route and racing to the endzone?

Gotta give it to 2001 as a whole, and like fisch I am remembering it thru kid glasses.... I went to every home game that year with my Dad.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That 2005 offense under Orton was kinda hilarious..... remember that 10-7 win over the Jets where the only offense all game was Mark Bradley breaking a tackle on a curl route and racing to the endzone?Gotta give it to 2001 as a whole, and like fisch I am remembering it thru kid glasses.... I went to every home game that year with my Dad.

That was in 2006. 10-0 Bears.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I broke this down by how each defense fared in some of the major defensive categories. The ones I chose from were Points Against, Yards Against, Turnovers, Scoring %, and Turnover %.

2001:

PA - 203 (1st), YA - 4978 (15th), TO - 37 (6th), SC% - 18.7% (2nd), TO% - 18.7% (5th)

2005:

PA - 202 (1st), YA - 4509 (2nd), TO - 34 (6th), SC% - 19.7% (1st), TO% - 15.3% (10th)

2010:

PA - 286 (4th), YA - 5029 (9th), TO - 35 (4th), SC% - 25.0% (1st), TO% - 17.9% (3rd)

Based off of these numbers I will have to go with 2005 year as the best squad outside of the 2006 season. Here are the same numbers for that 2006 season:

PA - 255 (3rd), YA - 4706 (5th), TO - 44 (1st), SC% - 20.6% (2nd), TO% - 19.6% (2nd)

I think an argument can even be made that the 2005 defense was better than the 2006 defense.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks FT... during this slow time you and Rory are coming up with some good threads that get people posting.