Bears projected to start 3 rookies

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think HJQ starts.

He made plays last season, he has good size and athletic ability, and the coaches going back to him later in the year shows that they like him. Most UDFAs do not get such a nice 2nd chance.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I get what logic there was for the different moves. And yeah I get the fan sentiment that hey, the shit is done, fucking move on already. I get it.

But that doesn't mean we all have to retroactively look back and accept all the moves as all perfectly reasonable, obvious choices that clearly made the team better without question.

(not that you are saying this, but just sayin)

Oh, and finally, the no SB this year holds zero sway. Its a dumb line of reasoning. Only a handful of teams can really have high expectations of going deep into the post season each year. Not going to the SB provides zero incentive to dump productive vets on reasonable contracts. Dumb line of reasoning. And either way, the Bears still have to take the field and I still have to watch them even if there is no chance at a SB.

They want to move on with the players they have....we know what Forte will produce, but he won't be producing it when we can compete. The Bears need to see what they have. All Forte and Marshall were doing was taking up reps from future potential starters.

I really liked Forte, but I have the luxury of just watching. It isn't my responsibility to field a contender 1 or 2 years from now....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They want to move on with the players they have....we know what Forte will produce, but he won't be producing it when we can compete. The Bears need to see what they have. All Forte and Marshall were doing was taking up reps from future potential starters.

I really liked Forte, but I have the luxury of just watching. It isn't my responsibility to field a contender 1 or 2 years from now....

Yeah, that is the tough one about Forte.

You need to see what you have in the young guys and the only way to do that is with carries. Carries that Forte wants and would deserve if he was here.

I don't know if I disagree with any of the veterans they have let go. Slauson is a tough one, but I get it from his perspective. Forte, I understand because of the position, Bennett, I get because he is a pain in the ass.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
More questionable moves than Forte right now,

1. Not having a competent swing tackle behind Bobbie Massie and Charles Leno.

2. Trusting Zach Miller to stay healthy.

3. Going ultra young and inexperienced in the secondary.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
I'm super excited to see Bush and Bullard play in the pre-season,i think those two will be cornerstone's to the Defense for years to come and be starters on opening day.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Excited about Bush. Follow him on instagram and twitter and the guy is football crazed. Hopefully it translates to a beast for yeas to come.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MojoRisin

Not necessarily. Harold Jones-Quartey or DeAndre Houston-Carson could surprise. I would not be shocked to see Harold Jones-Quartey get the start day 1.
Houston-Carson seems to be pegged as a Day 1 Special Teams contributor. Maybe he has more potential than Special Teams because of his youth, but right now I only see either Bush or HJQ as the realistic options(outside of starting some career special teamer like Prosinski or Demontre Hurst).
Our 2nd Safety, NB & DB will be very interesting.

I know Fangio is anxious to get Bush & Houston-Carson on the field cause they're very physically gifted and take the ball away, but profiles say they need a lot of mental work.

Combine that with: they are both top ST players, Jones-Quartey and Callahan looked promising, and Bolden was cut -- now I'm leaning towards Jones-Quartey starting S, and Ball & Callahan starting N/DB.

I still think they'll get reps at S, NB/DB early in the season, but not start.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Though largely unproven, I think we have some great talent at safety. I am curious to see who emerges to start. I think it will be a matter of preference. Do you want a hard hitting safety in Deon Bush or an instinctive ball hawk in HJQ. In the end I think HJQ will get the nod, but with a hard hitter like Bush and Houston-Carson, another safety I really really like, I think Fangio finds a way to get them all involved.

Like others, I am excited to see the preaseason games as well to watch the DBs performances. Wouldn't be surprised if Houston Carson plays some CB as well where he has some college experience.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

The interior OL right now is a complete shit show.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The interior OL right now is a complete shit show.

But there is talent there.

You have arguably the best RG in football. You have a rookie at LG that was very well respected during the draft, the biggest ? For me is if Grasu got his shit together, and Larsen has a ton of starts for a primary backup.

It is unsettled, but their are options, none of which are named Ducasse and Omaneh.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Outside of Long....eh...bunch of crap shoots....emphasis on the crap for right now.

But it is a more talented group than last season.

My concern is that there is not an OT on the roster who has started a game.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
But it is a more talented group than last season.

I guess? Maybe? These guys could end up sucking as bad the others. There's some "potential" there but overall...eh

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
As it stands right now, this o-line has the overall makeup of a group that should be an above average run blocking unit, with the athletic bodies they have combined with the zone block scheme they have implemented in Chicago to take advantage of that athleticism. My concern rests almost solely on short yardage situations and pass blocking as a whole. Elite (read: top 12) edge rushers are going to feast against us.

Last edited:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
As it stands right now, this o-line has the overall makeup of a group that should be an above average run blocking unit, with the athletic bodies they have combined with the zone block scheme they have implemented in Chicago to take advantage of that athleticism. My concern rests almost solely on short yardage situations and pass blocking as a whole. Elite (read: top 12) edge rushers are going to feast against us.

Expect the Bears to have an extra blocker on deep drop backs and utilize a bunch of screens on empty sets.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Expect the Bears to have an extra blocker on deep drop backs and utilize a bunch of screens on empty sets.

Obviously they'll do what they can to combat their defecncies, but that's not ideal. Having a stout, pass protecting, offensive line can really open up the playbook. The Bears dealt with similar issues last year. It didn't bode well for them.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Is that what a GM and Head Coach is paid to do? Or is it their job to put the best team on the field every damn season? I say that is their job and what Pace/Fox have done is weaken the offense unnecessarily. It was extremely dumb.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

They tried to address the TE position a bit....it was a swing and a miss....

A team can only work on so many positions at a time......with all the glaring holes there was a lot to do. I thought Pace did a credible job of trying address as many positions as possible, but it shows just how bad the Bears were.

This will be another year of evaluating and then hopefully trying to make some noise as a potential playoff candidate next year.

I expect the oline and the secondary to get the attention it needs this offseason.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is that what a GM and Head Coach is paid to do? Or is it their job to put the best team on the field every damn season? I say that is their job and what Pace/Fox have done is weaken the offense unnecessarily. It was extremely dumb.

No. There job is to keep the team competitive long term and win Superbowls....this is what Pace said he wants to do.

Hanging on to veterans just because they are better than another player in the short term can hurt your team for years to come. The only reason you hang on to aging vets is because you have a chance to win now....the Bears do not have that chance so you have to see what the next generation can bring.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They tried to address the TE position a bit....it was a swing and a miss....

A team can only work on so many positions at a time......with all the glaring holes there was a lot to do. I thought Pace did a credible job of trying address as many positions as possible, but it shows just how bad the Bears were.

This will be another year of evaluating and then hopefully trying to make some noise as a potential playoff candidate next year.

I expect the oline and the secondary to get the attention it needs this offseason.

We drafted 3 DB's this year. With the exception of a free agency signing, I'm not sure you can address a position more then that. Hopefully Fangio can work his magic with some young DBs similar to what he did with the niners.