Q & A with Kyle Long

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Q & A with Kyle Long

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...e-line-interview-spt-0724-20160722-story.html

Just like that, football season is upon us. The Bears will point their caravan toward Bourbonnais on Wednesday, readying for the start of yet another training camp. Coming off a 6-10 season and a last-place finish in the NFC North, coach John Fox has his troops hungry and driven to make dramatic improvements. And no player may be more eager to get to Olivet Nazarene University than offensive lineman Kyle Long.

Long went to the Pro Bowl for a third consecutive year after last season, a late addition that made him the Bears' only representative at the all-star exhibition. And while the 27-year-old lineman still thinks of himself as a young and developing player, Long has a combination of traits — his track record of success, his work ethic, the respect he has earned across the locker room — that positions him to be one of the team's most influential leaders.

As one of the faces of these Bears and one of the most important pieces in John Fox's reconstruction effort, Long's continued growth is worth monitoring. Recently, the exuberant lineman sat down with the Tribune for an exclusive interview at Halas Hall to talk about the upcoming season.

The atmosphere at Halas Hall seemed energized throughout the offseason. A lot of guys have talked about the positive vibe and the productive culture. How would you describe, as a player, what you've experienced?

Obviously, having John Fox at the helm is something that has been really big for this team. The culture is changing. And with that I mean that there are guys in here who not only want to play in the NFL, but they want to win in the NFL. And they won't accept anything short of that.

There are guys who have been on winning teams before, guys we paid a lot of money for and rightfully so. I can tell we have the right people in the building. There has been a lot of "us" going on. There's not a lot of "me" going on. And I'd say this all starts with the defense. Playing against these guys now, they'll wear you out. It starts with Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman up front, then Willie Young, Lamarr Houston. These guys are here to get after you. And then if we do happen to get past those guys, you get to those two linebackers (Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman).

And Vic (Fangio) has done a great job with all the young guys coming in, with all the guys learning our system, you can just tell this is a different defense. And you feel it.

What do you feel? What do you sense there?

Just heavy, explosive. These guys are working together. You can tell immediately it's a group that plays with one another. It's not just a bunch of individuals. It's what you want to see. I mean, I hate to practice against them. But it's a lot of fun. I think it'll be a lot more fun once we get to see them go against other teams. But we have a lot of time yet for that.

You mentioned Coach Fox's presence. And obviously there was a sense all throughout last year that something was being established. As you've gotten further into his program and his philosophy, what is it that you're sold on?

No (B.S.) Plain and simple. Everything that we do on the field is on film. Everything that we do, say, the way we carry ourselves, it's all there. There are eyes on it. It's not like you can just float through a drill or just float through a practice. You will be noticed and you will be out of here. And that's what makes this group special. I think we're building something here with a culture that's that of "I'm going to work hard so you work hard. And you're going to work hard so on those days that I don't feel like I can work hard, I'm going to push and dig and go harder for you."

That's kind of the universal thing here now. There's a lot of charisma across the board from all the guys. You see it when we get into competitive periods between the offense and the defense. You can see it in special teams group. We've got guys in every phase and every facet of the game who can improve this team. I think it's scary. The sky's the limit for us. We're a really young team. And that's part of this.

It's an interesting point. Because this has become a really young team quickly. It's interesting that that's so noticeable to you.

I remember when I first got here, it was like a football museum in the locker room. And I mean that in the best way. You don't get in a museum unless you're a legend. So I'm in there with (Charles) Tillman and Lance (Briggs) and Matt Forte and all these guys. And then you have (Jermon) Bushrod coming in. That's what it was.

Foxy wants young guys who are ready to learn who are physically capable to run around and hit things. And he can teach them how to football. Looking around now, I'm one of the older guys in our room. It's me and Ted Larsen.

You've gone from wide-eyed rookie to senior member of that O-line room overnight. Is that something that strikes you?

It's wild. But my role doesn't change. I still get to hang out with the rookies and work with them and make sure they understand the significance of this moment. This thing is over in a flash if you don't really, really live in it. I'm going into Year 4 now and it seems like yesterday we were revisiting draft day. So having the opportunity to grow with this group has been special for me. I've been to the bottom. And I'm going to be around here when we're at the top. And I'm excited for that.

What kind of leadership role do you want?

I want to be a guy who comes to work every day and is consistent. I want to be consistent with my work ethic and my attitude towards coming into the facility. And I want to be able to be there for the younger guys. Maybe they're having a long day and they don't feel like coming into work or whatever. That's why for me, it's always good to hang out with the younger guys and find ways to get them prepared mentally for this.

It's a long season. It can wear on a lot of guys. I've had those long days where I'm like, "I don't know if I can do this," and there was always an older guy who was there for me. Matt Slauson was always great with that.

Do you want your voice to be heard in that locker room?

I don't know. Don't talk about it. Be about it. I'm here to play football. And I think that guys will respect that. We have enough guys here who are really good at playing football and talking about it. And I mean that in the best way possible. But you're going to see it with our defense. This defense is going to run this team. This team is going to be based on this defense. And our job, as the offense, is to put points on the board and don't turn it over and give them a rest. But this is going to be a defensive football team.

That's what we're building here. All great teams have that. And we have the ability to score some points, too, now.

Fox talks all the time about understanding complementary football. If this defense makes the kind of strides that everyone is expecting it to make, how does that change the offense?

My gosh. We won't have to be taking shots every drive (to catch up). We can get chunks and work the clock and establish the run and do the things that every offense talks about wanting to do. But I know Willie Young's getting after the quarterback. I know Akiem Hicks is going to stop the run. I know Eddie Goldman is going to give people nightmares. I know Tracy Porter is going to be locking people down on the outside. Jerrell and Danny are going to be doing what Jerrell and Danny do. Right now, that's been frustrating for us (as an offense), practicing against that. And it feels like we can't get our wheels turning. But at the same time, other teams are going to have to play against these guys. And hopefully they'll echo the same sentiment about us.

Offensively, you've got a new coordinator, new running backs, new combination of receivers for the most part, a reshuffled offensive line. How much of a work in progress is this at this point?

Like any team, it feels early in the process. But that's what the spring weeks are for and summer ball and training camp. I've spoken to guys on numerous clubs where they've had great success before. And I say, "When did you know that you had a really good team?" They said, "Man, we didn't know we had a great team until the end of training camp or preseason Week 2." So it does take time. Some teams just roll out of bed great. And some teams take some jelling. So while we have a lot of great pieces here, we're all rather new. There are a lot of new faces in here. And it'll take time. But we're willing to put in the work and I know this group of guys has the mentality to do that.

Is the process difficult in the regard that you guys have this big-picture vision but the day-to-day of getting there can be and has been bumpy?

The process is fun. Because you can't improve unless you make a different mistake every day. We look at mistakes as opportunities to grow. Not as negatives. If I get beat on a spin move, good. That's an opportunity for me to work on that tomorrow. It's not, "Damn, I'm down in the dumps about it." Or if Danny gets blocked, it's not, "Man, I got blocked." It's, "How am I going to beat that block next time?" So it doesn't happen again.

If Ka'Deem (Carey) or Jeremy (Langford) miss a cut, they can't hang their head. They say "Coach, how am I going to fix that?" And you better believe the coach is going to be there ready to give them how they can fix it. That's the group we have here. It sounds simple. But this is not a bunch of guys playing for themselves who are going to get down on themselves. It's a bunch of guys who are looking at every single opportunity they have as a chance to get better.

Fox says often, when he's asked about you, that he wishes he had 11 Kyle Longs. That's his recurring praise. What do you hope he sees in you to say that?

I think he sees a guy who loves to work, who loves the game of football. And I'll put myself second to anybody on this team. I'll lay my body out for the guys in this building. And the guys I've played with before understand that. But at the end of the day, it's about treating the game with respect and playing hard and trying to do what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it for however long you're supposed to do it.

Do you sense, on the flip side, that there are specific things they want you to focus on going forward? The key areas of improvement.

Yeah, trying to block the guy across me. Ask (Coach Dave) Magazu; he'll tell you that. Like, "I just want him to block the three-technique." But seriously, look at it however you want, but this is a simple game. A blocks B and C runs through it and six points happen. The defense's job is for B to beat A and not let C through.

Dowell Loggains. New sheriff in town. His identity as an offensive coordinator?

He's a guy who really relates to the guys in this building. There is no barrier between us. Except that I've got to look way down on him a little bit. But Dowell will jump up your ass really quick. And he's a guy who you understand that every time he speaks, it's for a reason. And he always presses the right buttons when he does press them. He's a really bright guy. He works well with Jay. And he can vibe with the entire offense really well. He gets along with all the positions well. So we're happy to have him.

What's different about this offense this year versus last year?

I don't know yet. There are a few things here and there that are different. But we've been all scripted so far, so we'll get an opportunity to see how that progresses when training camp starts. As an offensive lineman, I know that I want to run the ball. I don't want Jay throwing the ball 40 times a game. Personally I'm just trying to fill my role and communicate and have the guys on the O-line understand what we're trying to accomplish. Which is protect the ball, protect the ball carrier, protect the quarterback. And just go block somebody. That's what it comes down to.

You've known Bobby Massie for a while. What's your scouting report?

He's a simple man. He's just a simple guy. He's bright. But all he cares about is football. That's all he wants to do is football. I love that about him. He doesn't talk a lot. He's low key. He's country. And he likes to fish and be by himself. But the guy is football all the time. And it's great to have a guy like that, who I train with in the offseason. We have a special relationship. We're both from Virginia, played each other in high school. And now I get the opportunity to play next to him.

Jay Cutler got a lot of praise last season for his progress. For you, what stood out about his growth?

You look at his ability to learn and it's special. You see a lot of quarterbacks and they hit that mental plateau. Jay never stops learning. It's cool. It's like when Neo was in the Matrix and all of a sudden it's "Oh, I know kung fu now." Well, Jay is that way. The guy learns new stuff all the time. That's what makes him great. He's somebody who is always going to continue to strive to get better. Whether that's mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually. He's always looking for something to get that edge. Jay puts the time in. He really cares about this. And he's somebody who really wants to elevate the game of everybody around him.

How does that work with you?

He stays on me. All the time. He rides me hard on certain things. I want to choke him sometimes. And he's one of my best friends in the world. He cares about me greatly. But he's the only guy I can't hit. For him, there's a right thing to do and a wrong thing to do in every situation. You're either above the line or below the line. And he does a very good job of making sure I stay above the line. He can be annoying. He's like a big brother that you don't want. But I get it.

Kevin White is a player here that fans are excited about. But no one on the outside has seen him yet. So when he starts practicing in Bourbonnais, that's going to be the first look a lot of people have at who this kid is. You've spent time out there with him this spring, this summer. Tell people what you've noticed.

He's a very, very competitive kid. It's cool. And he's really fast. And he catches a lot of balls, mostly everything you throw at him. I remember one of the first days I saw him on the field, he had his jersey rolled up and his arms and shoulders were out. And the guy is built like the Predator. He's an absolute freak show like that. But he's a great guy. Works hard. And he understands that after missing last year, this is a big year for him and a big year for us. There are great expectations for him. But he's not overwhelmed by that. I think the level of expectation truthfully just raised his level of preparation.

He's very enthusiastic. And he's a genuine dude. If we run power and we run for a touchdown and he watches the film and notices a big block, he's going to be fired up. And it he makes a big catch, he's in the meeting room being very low key about it. He fits in really well with his room with the receivers.

Another guy in that room, Alshon Jeffery, is back in the mix. What do you need from No. 17 this season?

We need him to be 17. When he's on the field, he's as scary as it gets in the NFL. Nobody can guard him. I've watched it firsthand. And it's disgusting what he can do and the plays he can make. He's very quiet. He's a small-town, country, quiet guy. But you don't want to mix it up with 17 now. He's a dog. Trust me.

You mentioned the defensive progress this offseason. And you've talked about Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman and what they bring. What opens your eyes?

They're so fast. And they're strong. That's the one thing that struck me about them. I remember there was a play where I got to the second level and Danny came up and 'Wham!' He hit me. And I'm like, "Damn, you're supposed to be fast. But not this strong." And I see Jerrell in the weight room squatting 500-something pounds. I don't get it. I don't.

These guys are physical specimens. And that's why they're in the NFL. I was told there were going to be guys like this. Now I'm experiencing it. And they have really good synergy right now. Because they're both very, very bright guys who communicate well. So they're diagnosing a lot of what happens and they can communicate to the guys in front of them. If Danny and Jerrell get a formational key or a motion key, we're screwed. Because they know what's going on.

Is that cool to watch, even though it's frustrating for the offense?

I'll be in my stance and I'll make a call to Bobby. And I'll see their eyes lock on to me and they'll make some call in Vic's defense. And suddenly, we've got three guys coming through the B gap and there is no play.

You're naturally an unselfish guy, humble in your success. To go to three Pro Bowls after your first three seasons, how do you process that? How do you use that?

If I do my job and we win games, I'll be happy. The Pro Bowl has been fun and a really cool experience. But I wish there were more guys that could have gone with me. Also, I've been to the Pro Bowl and I notice the guys who (made it but) weren't there. And it's because their teams were deep into the playoffs. And that's where I want to be. I'd rather take a jersey and be in the playoffs.

If you go back in 2017, looking to take some teammates this time?

No doubt. I'm still in that rookie contract, man, post CBA. Hawaii is an expensive flight. Now, though, I guess we're in Orlando.

Your gaming habits, obviously, have been a fun little extracurricular hobby for you. What is it about that that juices you up?

I don't get juiced up about it. I'd say it's a good way to stay competitive. A non-contact competitive sport, I guess you could say. It'd be like if I took up chess.

But honestly, it's a lot of fun for me because I'm not a guy who likes to go out and party and live that lifestyle. So this gives me something on a Saturday night to be able to do. I don't have a girlfriend, don't have any kids. No wife. So I don't have anybody that's going to tell me to go to bed when it's 11:30 and I've got Madden cranked up really loud in my living room. I have a fun time with it.

I've started streaming it and the purpose of that is that we're doing charitable work. We get subscriptions and donations and a large portion of that goes to waterboys.org, which is my brother's clean water initiative in Tanzania. And gosh, there has already been more than $20,000 raised just by me playing video games. Just playing video games. That makes no sense.

But it's why I keep doing it. It's fun for me as well. It's what I intend to do when I'm done playing. I want to do a lot of streaming, YouTubing, that sort of thing. So it's good practice now because I basically have a studio set up in my house. And you're non-scripted. You're live to an audience of 400-500 people.

That seems dangerous for somebody like you.

It's dangerous. But if you watch what you say and you have some basic guidelines and rules to the chat, it can be a civil place and it can be a new place to connect with fans. It's different.

My dad doesn't get it. He thinks it's impressive that I can do that and have free-form scripting and no script. None of that stuff. And I can stream for like three hours. My mom says I use the F-bomb too much. Those are her words. She said, "It's funny. You look cute. But there is too much cursing." I said, "Mom, how much time have you spent in the video game community? These kids are cussing me out after every round of Call of Duty."

What are your go-to games?

Right now, DayZ. I play a lot of DayZ right now. H1Z1. And Counterstrike. That's a really, really hard and highly competitive game.

Are you really good at all these?

I'm really good at DayZ, H1Z1. Really good. But Counterstrike is so hard. People are ridiculously good at that game.

Does it make it easier to stream when you're good at a game so you can kind of wear that on your sleeve a little bit?

Yeah. Because then you're in a better mood. If I'm playing Counterstrike, it's hard. And if I'm doing very well, they call it getting tilted. And when you're tilted, you're just off. You're not reading chat. You're not responding to people. You're not saying anything. People will come after you. "Oh, he's salty. He's salty!" They make fun of me.

I remember when I used to stream and it would be four viewers and it would be the same people chatting at you. But now it's 400, 500 people. I've had upwards of 2,500 people in my channel. It's $4.99 for a subscription for a month. We have close to 300 subscriptions now. And then donations. We've had nearly $20,000 in donations and I match. So if there's a $2,000 donation, I'm getting out my checkbook. And it kills me. Because some people see that I'm matching and they'll just start donating. And I'll be like '(Bleep) me.'

At a certain point, they're just trolling you. It's for a great cause. But people have a lot of fun with that. It's a good feeling to know that there's a tangible difference we're making in the world. We can't change the world. But you can do your best to kind of influence the small little ripples. And getting clean water to people in Tanzania and being able to raise money for waterboys.org is second to none.

When you examined your own play of 2015, what did you see? Positive, negative, across the board.

I saw a guy who wasn't ready. I worked really hard at it. I got frustrated with myself a lot last year. Obviously, we were in a lot of close games. And I saw a lot of really good times and a lot of really ugly times from a personal standpoint. There were some games where I thought I was really good. And there were some games where I felt like I was the worst. It was probably true. But the great thing about the NFL is you get a new game every Sunday and we're coming up again on a new stretch of Sundays.

You're a pretty harsh critic on yourself. Are you still finding the equilibrium to be self-critical without beating yourself up too badly?

I mean, I'm always going to be my harshest critic. We haven't seen what I'm like during the season yet so. So that's something I'm working on.

I know you're worn out on talking about position changes and now moving back from right tackle to right guard. If this was the last time you ever had to do that, what would be your final word on moving back inside?

Any discussions for a contract extension for Kyle Long?

I'm an offensive lineman, man. I think I can play any position on the offensive line. Heck, I think I can play tight end. But I like having my hand in the ground (at guard). I like being closer to Jay. End of story.

With this team as a whole, you mentioned the identity and the culture of a group that's smart, tough, driven, passionate. That's the John Fox formula that seems to be here. The outside skeptic will say that only produced six wins in Year 1. So how do all those things translate into victories more frequently?

You win the close games. If we win more close games last year, we're 10-6. And that's all in the small details and understanding it's in the small details. If I'm run blocking and I'm on the backside during practice and the play is way away from me, I still have to chase that ball down. What if our guy gets stripped? If it's on the ground, am I going to pick it up? Or is the defense going to pick it up?

If a receiver runs a route next to another guy and the other guy gets the ball, is he going to run down the field and block for him or is he going to let a defender get there to tackle him or strip the ball? If I'm a defender and I'm chasing a play and there's a cutback, am I going to be the guy there to make the play or am I going to watch him run? And I know that this team has a bunch of guys who want to be the guy. They want to do the extra, the little details. And our time will come to find out what that's worth. But all signs are pointing in the right direction.

When you feel that, when you notice those things on the practice field and the optimism feels real and not that you're grasping for things, how do you sense that?

I don't look at it from a reporter's standpoint when I'm out there. I'm trying to fight for my job. So if I get beat, I'm pissed off. I'm not happy for our defense. But I can assure you that they've won enough times.

With the guys who have come in from winning programs, what is the value of that?

They've seen what it takes. They've played into the later months. And they've been around great before. So I think that's important. That energy is here. It's real. So we're excited to go.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Long, to me, is a very interesting guy. I just hope that Pace doesn't fuck around with him when it comes to contract time!

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
tl;dr

... but I don't think reading it is necessary to pretty much know what it says. I'm going to guess everything is great, great group of guys, great locker room, new additions are all incredible and the arrow is pointing up, etc.

Just a wild guess.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
tl;dr

... but I don't think reading it is necessary to pretty much know what it says. I'm going to guess everything is great, great group of guys, great locker room, new additions are all incredible and the arrow is pointing up, etc.

Just a wild guess.

Nah in the middle they started talking about whether you call it tomato gravy or tomato sauce.... it got weird.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
tl;dr

Just a wild guess.

You forgot "the culture is changing" and
They got rid of the "me's" and replaced them with guys that think "we".

Also a funny jab at our former LB corps.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;3BkIh1R5utY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BkIh1R5utY[/video]

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
tl;dr

Just a wild guess.

Kyle Long is a company man to the core, but there are still some interesting details in there. Especially about how good the D has looked, how they have basically been whooping the O, and how this is definitely a D first team now.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its weird people are crapping on this article. There is some fluff in there, but some interesting details too. Its not like there is a bunch of bear news right now that this is distracting from.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Love Turnstile Kyle. Think he's gonna have a huge year this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Long is the man.

But who the hell watches some dude play video games? Good god that's weird.

Brb let me spend my evening watching someone else.. Play video games?

Reactions: DC

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Its weird people are crapping on this article. There is some fluff in there, but some interesting details too. Its not like there is a bunch of bear news right now that this is distracting from.
You must have missed. We cut Matt Slausen. That is going to be front-page news for decades. it's so important I have forgotten about Rick Meier.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You must have missed. We cut Matt Slausen. That is going to be front-page news for decades. it's so important I have forgotten about Rick Meier.

You're the most annoying fuck on the boards these last couple days

Reactions: DC

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good article. I'm looking forward to watching this defense play. I also think it will be good for them to practice against the Patriots.