Willson Contreras

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wondering if those who suggested Contreras was a terrible catcher have changed their mind on him at all. .

Contreras last 6 starts as Catcher. .

Starters have pitched 43 innings 11 walks 35 Ks giving up just 3 ER..

Winning 5 starts
Tonight winning 2-0 so far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Um, I like him so far... For what that is worth.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wondering if those who suggested Contreras was a terrible catcher have changed their mind on him at all. .

Contreras last 6 starts as Catcher. .

Starters have pitched 43 innings 11 walks 35 Ks giving up just 3 ER..

Winning 5 starts
Tonight winning 2-0 so far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

He still has issues. He has done better at receiving the ball. He still isnt calling the games. He has improved. No one said he wasnt going to improve.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Maddon was talking today about the improvement he expects from him. So what's the issue here?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He still has issues. He has done better at receiving the ball. He still isnt calling the games. He has improved. No one said he wasnt going to improve.
I agree he still has some growing to do..
I just never agreed with some who thought he was horrible or reason the starters went South..
Especially considering he didn't catch Arrieta or Lester who really took the dive of the five starters during that time.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:

And no one said he was "terrible".

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
the people that said he was terrible were the ones that think jaded multi millionaire egomaniac starting pitchers can take no blame. But hey, you give two starters their own personal catchers, I guess the rest of them think they deserve it too.

There have been alot of comments about willson setting up in the left handed batters box when he wants the pitcher to miss wide, but it all reality, he gives the umpire a perfect view of the ball across the plate.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The difference in catching minor league pitching to catching MLB arms is a huge leap. Contreras wasn't finished developing as a catcher at AAA. It only stands to reason that he would be a little rough starting out with the big club and he was. Nobody here ever said he was terrible. The thing is he has really taken some huge leaps since his call up. That doesn't mean he wasn't an issue, especially in terms of framing and game calling early on. It was not the only reason for some of the poor pitching in July but it was a factor. As far as I recall that's all anyone has said.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I can't believe Egg Trousers didn't say he was terrible at some point.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Fuck you. I have never said anything negative about him. Fucking troll
With all the negatives you've posted about this team and a lot of the players throughout this season, that's hard to believe. Contreras must be the lone bright spot for you, Poopypants.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point I see very little reason for Montero to play. I loved Montero, but he's just done. Maybe situationally in the playoffs, but if Contreras keeps playing, come playoff time he'll even be that much better.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The difference in catching minor league pitching to catching MLB arms is a huge leap. Contreras wasn't finished developing as a catcher at AAA. It only stands to reason that he would be a little rough starting out with the big club and he was. Nobody here ever said he was terrible. The thing is he has really taken some huge leaps since his call up. That doesn't mean he wasn't an issue, especially in terms of framing and game calling early on. It was not the only reason for some of the poor pitching in July but it was a factor. As far as I recall that's all anyone has said.

It just does not matter because they are starting over again when they finally get to the majors. The veteran pitchers dont care how much they "developed" in the minors. Contrares has all the tools, framing, calling, and an incredible throwing arm, quick feet, pickoff throws to bases. He has done more development over the past two weeks with these pitchers than another year in AAA.

I never liked Montero, basically traded Castillo for him after Arizona realized they sorely overpaid. Its great insurance to have three catchers, with one that can play other positions, lets remember, Contrares started out as a third baseman, but to end up with Montero and Ross as your pinch hitting options off the bench will sting us more times than they come thru.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
At this point I see very little reason for Montero to play. I loved Montero, but he's just done. Maybe situationally in the playoffs, but if Contreras keeps playing, come playoff time he'll even be that much better.

Done? he has another year on his contract

Washington

Liked Posts:
If people are upset with Contreras, which I think is unwarranted, wait till The Babe starts catching next year. Pitchers are gunna have to do rock paper scissors to see who draws the short straw.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If people are upset with Contreras, which I think is unwarranted, wait till The Babe starts catching next year. Pitchers are gunna have to do rock paper scissors to see who draws the short straw.

But its a much better answer to trade him or leave him on the bench right?

Willson has been getting the same bullshit any rookie catcher gets and the same shit Schwarber got last year. You know what, fuck the pitch framing, pitchers should be good enough to throw the ball over the plate. Yes, we know we gave Lester a 126 million dollar contract even though he cannot throw the ball to bases. Thats just fine, no problem whatsoever, but a rookie catcher can play like Johnny Bench and still take shit from some fans.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Willson has been getting the same bullshit any rookie catcher gets and the same shit Schwarber got last year. You know what, fuck the pitch framing, pitchers should be good enough to throw the ball over the plate. Yes, we know we gave Lester a 126 million dollar contract even though he cannot throw the ball to bases. Thats just fine, no problem whatsoever, but a rookie catcher can play like Johnny Bench and still take shit from some fans.
Pitch framing matters because a poor pitch framer can cost a pitcher strikes.

Washington

Liked Posts:

I think he plays LF with very few stints behind the plate. I'm not sold on him defensively in LF either. Maybe Wood can give him some lessons :). If a young TOR with years of control comes available, I have no issue at all with including Schwarber to make that move.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think he plays LF with very few stints behind the plate. I'm not sold on him defensively in LF either. Maybe Wood can give him some lessons :). If a young TOR with years of control comes available, I have no issue at all with including Schwarber to make that move.

If Heyward was producing like he should have then I would agree here. The lacking of a 2nd LH power bat has been noticeable. When Zobrist is your #4 hitter it is a statement on how the line up falls south after Rizzo on RHSP days. A example of this was game 1 vs the birds. Nothing going on until a rushed swing by Cog's when the ump didn't give him time. Then a bunt by Ross. But losing Baez, Soler and Contreras killed the line up.

I would like to see Schwarber and Contreras playing the personal catcher game. Set Schwarber up with Hammel like he was supposed to. If they can trade Montero go for it. If not let him be Jake's caddie. Contreras takes the rest.

This allows them to keep Soler in LF at a decent rate. Ideally they work on his routes so he can take over RF. Then use Almora as a switch guy with Heyward starting in CF. this nets the highest impact line up every day. Baez you rotate 3B/SS/2B/Off. To keep those guys fresh.

Over all it comes down to run production. These starters are pretty damn good as it is. What they need is run support.