The Bears will have a top ten offense this season

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Top 20 by yards? Likely not

Top 20 by points? If our defensive play is strong and our return game is adequate, half of our drives could begin around the 50. We saw Grossman lead an offense well above its talent level in a similar situation.

This defense wont be on the level of the '06 team, not yet anyways. And we dont have Thomas Jones. Hell, I'd almost settle for Benson at this point.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This defense wont be on the level of the '06 team, not yet anyways. And we dont have Thomas Jones. Hell, I'd almost settle for Benson at this point.

I was a huge Thomas Jones fan. When all else failed, hand it off to Jones on first and second down and hope and pray to either get a first down (and rinse and repeat) or have Orton somehow complete a 3rd and 3.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ah, Cedric Benson.. what a great player. 4th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. Got paid and couldn't even start... Looked lazy and slow most of that 2007 season then got hurt after he was actually producing some... Was gone after the 07 season. Then put in a productive season in Cinci to get paid before disappearing again. Does anyone know what he's up to now?

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMG_7243.jpg

if this prediction comes true, this guy will be the reason why

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah, Cedric Benson.. what a great player. 4th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. Got paid and couldn't even start... Looked lazy and slow most of that 2007 season then got hurt after he was actually producing some... Was gone after the 07 season. Then put in a productive season in Cinci to get paid before disappearing again. Does anyone know what he's up to now?

hqdefault.jpg

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
We have two good receivers that when healthy are dominant in winning jump balls. Yet, even IF they stay healthy we still need serviceable play from our O-Line, RB, and a 3rd and 4th receiving option.

I think Fox will do well to hide our O-Line problems and I believe we will find a healthy runningback combo after a few weeks in the season. All this to say, I am a bit concerned about us developing other receiving options.Zach Miller could turn out to have a good year, but then again it is ultimately a matter of being healthy for him. Royal has been a let down when he is actually healthy and I don't trust any of our other receivers to be consistently reliable except Marquiss Wilson....who is, you guessed it, injured. Maybe Braverman can step up, but I am not going to expect much based off a few good practices.

To sum it up, either our offense is inexperienced, injured, or prone to injuries. As Bears fans all we can do is cross out fingers and hope for the best. If everything goes well and we stay healthy then there is potential to be a to 10-15 offense, but we have no reason to be boastful.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Jerry Angelo should've been fired for all the duds he had in the first round. He should've been gone in 2009. His only good 1st rounders were Tommie Harris and Greg Olsen. Olsen was misused by the Bears, and became All-Pro at Carolina for a return of a 3rd rounder. I hated the Cedric Benson pick since the Bears had Thomas Jones. Why? BPA? Plus there were reports that Benson was difficult and didn't get along with his teammates at UT.

Gaines Adams (RIP) was a bad trade. Angelo didn't do his due diligence and check to see that Adams had an enlarged heart before trading a 2nd round pick. A team should've done a complete physical before making the trade. That draft pick became Rob Gronkowski for the Patriots. Not to mention a 3rd rounder for Garrett Wolfe, a 2nd rounder for Dan Bauzin, and a 3rd rounder for a slow ass Roosevelt Williams.

AussieBear

Jeffrey had 800 yards last season in 9 games and did it while playing injured. He will establish himself as the third best receiver in the NFL this year.

White will have a great season. His size and speed just make him too much of a mismatch. He will exploit the double teams Jeffrey draws and put up a thousand yards.

Royal, Miller, and Langford will all be good role players as receivers.

The Bears have a good young tackle duo, an elite guard, and a top tier guard prospect. Our offensive line will be good, but not great.

Our Runningback trio will be good, especially behind this line. Fox always has capable running backs and this year won't be different.

This system is perfect for Cutler. He will build on his 2015 season career high passer rating.

deyz gun be skrate fiha boi... cutty gon all mvp... top 5 fo show

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Yeah we are missing some talent in the defensive backfield to be as great as the 06 defense. And our OL and running game are far less talented than we had back then as well.

I am just saying from a strategy standpoint, starting a drive with only 20-30 yards to be in field goal range makes your offense look a lot more effective.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Jeffrey had 800 yards last season in 9 games and did it while playing injured. He will establish himself as the third best receiver in the NFL this year.

White will have a great season. His size and speed just make him too much of a mismatch. He will exploit the double teams Jeffrey draws and put up a thousand yards.

Royal, Miller, and Langford will all be good role players as receivers.

The Bears have a good young tackle duo, an elite guard, and a top tier guard prospect. Our offensive line will be good, but not great.

Our Runningback trio will be good, especially behind this line. Fox always has capable running backs and this year won't be different.

This system is perfect for Cutler. He will build on his 2015 season career high passer rating.

I've heard of walking in your sleep but message boarding in your sleep is a new one for me.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They'll be in the middle of the pack at best. Oline blows, RB's blow, TE's blow and the QB is average on a good day. Now if we have a top 10 defense that can get off the field, that will definitely give our offense a boost if Jay can keep from giving the ball back.

This is too much, how can you say our oline, RB's and TE's blow when first of all we obviously haven't played a regular season down yet and second of all we do have good players on our oline, Langford has proven to at least be a decent RB and the same goes for K.Carey and J.Rodgers and we haven't even seen what J.Howard can be yet and Z.Miller has already proven to be a good TE if he can stay healthy. Are we gonna have some problems with certain parts of our oline? Absolutely but they won't suck. I think J.Langford is getting way too much hate on here just because he doesn't look like he's gonna be a great RB but with all 4 of our RB's rotating and if used correctly i think we'll be just fine at RB. I just think to say we blow at those positions is too strong of a word especially when we haven't even played a single down yet.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah we are missing some talent in the defensive backfield to be as great as the 06 defense. And our OL and running game are far less talented than we had back then as well.

I am just saying from a strategy standpoint, starting a drive with only 20-30 yards to be in field goal range makes your offense look a lot more effective.

I didn't even address the whole "we don't have Hester returning kicks" either... his value to that offense (from a starting field position standpoint) is understated, even by Bears fans.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I have always thought that this was a pick that sealed Angelo's fate and would be his Waterloo. They used the 4th pick for CedBen and had Thomas Freaking Jones already on the team. Jones was never going to be confused with one of the greats but he was more than servicable; he was a perfectly fine lead back. Given that teams state of affairs at the time I think there were many better choices at #4. Someone once posted a list of players the Bears could have had there but I don't have the time to look for it and, besides, it depresses me....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the offense will be somewhere around 15th and the defense around 8th.

I love our front seven and even the guys that will be rotating in but our secondary is still very scary and now with rumors of Fuller fighting to even be one of the starting CB's and how we already know that A.Amos is a good safety but doesn't create turnovers which nobody in our secondary did much of last year, that scares me some. We do have some new young kids that i like and i think have a chance of making some noise in the secondary but it's too soon to predict what any of them will be this year so we'll see but definitely worried about it as of now even with the pass rush being better and will help them out some.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We have two good receivers that when healthy are dominant in winning jump balls. Yet, even IF they stay healthy we still need serviceable play from our O-Line, RB, and a 3rd and 4th receiving option.

I think Fox will do well to hide our O-Line problems and I believe we will find a healthy runningback combo after a few weeks in the season. All this to say, I am a bit concerned about us developing other receiving options.Zach Miller could turn out to have a good year, but then again it is ultimately a matter of being healthy for him. Royal has been a let down when he is actually healthy and I don't trust any of our other receivers to be consistently reliable except Marquiss Wilson....who is, you guessed it, injured. Maybe Braverman can step up, but I am not going to expect much based off a few good practices.

To sum it up, either our offense is inexperienced, injured, or prone to injuries. As Bears fans all we can do is cross out fingers and hope for the best. If everything goes well and we stay healthy then there is potential to be a to 10-15 offense, but we have no reason to be boastful.

I trust that Royal could absolutely have a good season if healthy which he didn't have a chance to do last year and not sure how you can trust M.Wilson more than him cause Wilson has never had a healthy season to show what he can do and Royal has had multiple good seasons when healthy. I agree on Z.Miller, he can put up some really good numbers if he can stay healthy. I heard that J.Bellamy has been looking good at TC and in practice so maybe he steps forward this year. I like our backup WR's and think we could have a strong all around season receiving depending on Cutty and D.Loggains.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I did not know this until I looked it up, but Lovie's Tampa Bay team had the #5 offense in total yards last year. Jamies Winston threw for 4000 yards, Doug Martin ran for 1400 yards, Mike Evans caught 1200 yards. It makes you wonder what the hell the Bears are doing.

I did a double take on that when I listed all the teams ahead of chicago last season, and had to double verify I had the teams sorted by the correct column. I knew winston had a pretty decent season but was shocked to see them where they were.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears made the Super Bowl with Benson. Benson ended up rushing for more yards than the guy drafted above him (Ronnie Brown) and the guy drafted after him (Cadillac Williams). Yeah, Benson was a bad pick overall, but it wasn't horrendous relative to everything else. If any one move can be said to have sealed Angelo's fate, it was investing two #1s and the team's future in Jay Cutler.

Benson ran for 650 yards and 6 TD's that year. 109 of those yards came in a meaningless Week 17 game vs Green bay.

In general terms I agree Benson wasn't a "bust" because he went on to have a pretty productive NFL career, but I can't really "excuse" the pick either because the Bears went to the SB with him on the roster when Thomas Jones was the primary back that year.

To address another point, yeah the 2005 draft had some other good players but until you get down to about the 8th pick with Rolle there wasn't really a stable great player taken. There was a lot of "bad" or unproductive in that 2005 draft. The really good players were taken after pick #10.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have always thought that this was a pick that sealed Angelo's fate and would be his Waterloo. They used the 4th pick for CedBen and had Thomas Freaking Jones already on the team. Jones was never going to be confused with one of the greats but he was more than servicable; he was a perfectly fine lead back. Given that teams state of affairs at the time I think there were many better choices at #4. Someone once posted a list of players the Bears could have had there but I don't have the time to look for it and, besides, it depresses me....
They could have added linebacker or pass rusher depth... offensively that draft was awful in the top half of the first round.

Alex Smith
Ronnie Brown
Braylon Edwards
Benson
Cadillac Williams
Troy williamson
Mike williams

If anything the Bears should have traded down and gained additional picks. Oh well, they still made the Super Bowl a year later but this draft helped ruined them down the road.