How concerned should we be over our injuries?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think as others have mentioned, I just want the recent draft picks to be healthy. Floyd, White, Bullard, etc. We already lost Grasu... that's enough.

As a fan of the NFL, I know just about any team can make a run at the playoffs if they get lucky enough. While I don't expect playoffs, we have a better shot than the last 2 years to say the least.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We shouldnt be concerned at all. Preseason doesn't matter. Therefore, It isn't like injuries in the preseason will still be injuries when the regular season starts.
Injuries are only real in the regular season.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not good...

Kyle Fuller - DB - Bears
Bears GM Ryan Pace seemed to suggest CB Kyle Fuller's knee injury could force him to miss significant time.
"He’s kind of had this nagging injury that we thought maybe he could play with, but as time went on, you could tell it was affecting his movement skills," Pace said. "So he’s been getting evaluated over the last couple of days and I’m optimistic that’s something we can get ahold of to make him a better player." Fuller did not travel with the team to New England for this week's joint practices, but there did not seem to be much concern about the injury. That has certainly changed. Very thin at corner, the Bears cannot afford to be without Fuller for any significant time.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Would a Fuller injury really be that devastating? The majority of people on here complain about his play week after week. Sure, you can blame it on Mel Tucker's incompetence as a coach or a new system last year, but everyone can agree that Fuller has struggled in coverage especially against other teams WR1. I don't see Callahan as a CB who can play opposite of Porter due to his size though. I think he fits much better as the NB. Throw Hall in there and see what he can do. Our DB's are going to struggle this year with or without Fuller due to inexperience, the only thing we can hope for is a more consistent pass rush.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think a long term Fuller injury would be an issue. Devastating? I don't know but it is a problem. First, I think they need him on the field for evaluation purposes. He is a #1 pick and, unfortunately, he is still being evaluated instead of being a player the team can base a secondary around. Second, the Bears are thin in the secondary. He is more than a warm body and is a starter. This isn't a good thing for the defense's development as a whole. It isn't a recipe for winning, either.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Anyone thing we should just say fuck it and throw Hall into the fire? We already know what Porter is.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Doesn't Minnesota also have a favorable schedule?

They have two considerably tougher games against the Panthers and Cardinals. But other than those two their schedules are virtually the same.

ignignokt

Liked Posts:
Anyone thing we should just say fuck it and throw Hall into the fire? We already know what Porter is.

I really am hoping Hall steps up to be a solid shutdown corner for several years to come. He has the range and length to be what Tillman was to us for years..
Don't know if Fuller is going to anything spectacular,. He shows flashes at times of being able to be a starting corner but more than often looks lost. He was a reach as a first round draft pick and Phil didn't have a backup plan when A. Donald went to the Rams right before us. Hope he recovers and contributes but more than likely won't be in Chicago much longer.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
I really am hoping Hall steps up to be a solid shutdown corner for several years to come. He has the range and length to be what Tillman was to us for years..
Don't know if Fuller is going to anything spectacular,. He shows flashes at times of being able to be a starting corner but more than often looks lost. He was a reach as a first round draft pick and Phil didn't have a backup plan when A. Donald went to the Rams right before us. Hope he recovers and contributes but more than likely won't be in Chicago much longer.

It feels like that sometimes for sure. I didn't think it was the case at the time but now ... 20/20 and all that.

I sometimes feel Fuller may have been misused thought people on here back when we drafted him mentioned his ability to tackle and blitz, have we ever seen him blitz and be used in other ways other than not getting his head round when it needs to be?

Maybe Hall is the future, but we might all have to roll with the growing pains if he is thrown into the fire.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Fuller is competent at best, but he's way better than anyone else the Bears have at CB. But, more importantly, I think the problem with some of these guys missing time due to injury is that they are missing time to 'develop'. If Fuller misses the majority of this season, then his alleged 'improvement' is delayed by a year. That is the issue with Grasu...he sucked last year, but he now will go into the 2017 season as a still sucky player. Kevin White should be primed to be an elite WR this year, instead we are still talking about 'route trees'. Floyd should be a Week 1 starter at OLB. Forte should have been completely phased out of the Bears offense early on last season if the Bears had no intention of re-upping his deal.

Even worse for Grasu, he was a undersized OL before and was really bad. Now he'll be coming off a non contact ACL injury at a position where his legs/knees will obviously be a huge deal.

You have to wonder at times in this case if Grasu trying to bulk up etc helped lead to the ACL.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Bad turf at Bourbannais. The Bears had more leg injuries in non-contact drills on the Bourbannais turf than they did in scrimmages against the Patriots...a team that holds training camp at their pro facilities.

Grasu got hurt at Soldier Field.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Any injuries to the Oline and TE will be bad. We have enough depth at WR and RB to function. The depth at the other 2 positions is abysmal at best. Because the secondary is a quagmire already counting on the young players to develop, any injury there might just open the door for someone else although those injuries would inhibit development.

As Rory said, we really lack depth across the board save for a position or two.

I also don't see losing Cutler as being devastating as Windy thought. I see very little difference between Cutty and Hoyer. They are both average but Hoyer is paid like an average QB.

This team has a longs ways to go before they can handle injuries.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Let him start in preseason and see how he does. If McManis ever sees the field as a starter again, my eyes will bleed.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Any injuries to the Oline and TE will be bad. We have enough depth at WR and RB to function. The depth at the other 2 positions is abysmal at best. Because the secondary is a quagmire already counting on the young players to develop, any injury there might just open the door for someone else although those injuries would inhibit development.

As Rory said, we really lack depth across the board save for a position or two.

I also don't see losing Cutler as being devastating as Windy thought. I see very little difference between Cutty and Hoyer. They are both average but Hoyer is paid like an average QB.

This team has a longs ways to go before they can handle injuries.

Do we really have depth at RB? Unproven bodies would be a more accurate term. Carey, Howard and Langford have potential but not anything we can really rely on to call them depth.