Strength of Schedule

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm really tired of hearing the strength of schedule argument for why we should see a better record this year. Last year's records are irrelevant to this year!!

A closer look at our schedule should not invoke confidence in anyone…

Wk 1 Texans: (9-7)
Playoff team last year with Brian Hoyer at QB. Whatever your feelings on Osweiler are he should represent an improvement for a team that already had some nice weapons and a playoff D.

Wk 2 Eagles: (7-9)
Good D and a vet QB whose playing for his NFL career. Plenty of weapons on O and Doug Pederson will be a good coach IMO.

Wk 3 Cowboys: (4-12)
This team is built around it's O-line and a QB who won't fuck everything up. Worked pretty well for them in 2014 (12-4) when Romo was healthy and Murray was cranking out yards on the ground. Without Romo the team crumbled to 4-12. Romo is back and Zeke is in the mix with McFadden and that powerful OL.

Wk 4 Lions: (7-9)
Surged at the end of last year saving Cladwell's job. Decent QB and defense. Beat us twice last year.

Wk 5 Colts: (8-8)
The Colts' 2015 saw a dramatically different and injury riddled Andrew Luck. I'd expect to see the Luck of old and a Colts team that is closer to the 2014 team that went to the AFC Championship.

Wk 6 Jaguars: (5-11)
Bortles is an up and coming star at QB with a good core of weapons in Robinson, Hurns, Thomas, and 1-2 punch in Yeldon and Ivory in the backfield (both of whom would be #1 back here). Then you look at all the pieces they added on the defense (Jackson, Fowler, Ramsey, Jack etc...) and the Jags look tough on paper.

Wk 7 Packers: (10-6)
The Packers may be on a bit of a down tilt but they get Nelson back this year and as long as they have Rodgers they will be extremely hard to beat.

Wk 8 Vikings: (11-5)
Reigning NFCN champs. Very good D and QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes backed by a HOF RB. Beat us twice last year.

Wk 10 Bucs: (6-10)
Young improving team with a young improving QB who has some weapons and a very good running game.

Wk 11 Giants: (6-10)
New regime but they still have Eli and Beckham. They also added a bunch of new pieces to a struggling D and by this point in the year the new systems should be running on all cylinders.

Wk 12 Titans: (3-13)
Another young QB who looked pretty damn good as rookie and it's pretty easy to project Mariotta to improve. I don't see the Titans as 3 win team as of right now.

Wk 13 49er's: (5-11)
One of those 5 wins came against us.

Wk 14 Lions: (7-9)
See wk 4

Wk 15 Packers: (10-6)
See wk 7

Wk 16 Redskins: (9-7)
Cousins has a nice set of weapons and their D isn't half bad either. Oh yeah... They beat us last year also.

Wk 17 Vikings (11-5)
See wk 8

I'm not making this thread to be all "doom and gloom" and I do believe that the Bears are improved but there are also 31 other teams that think they improved also. I don't see any automatic "W's" on that schedule. On the flip side I don't see and automatic losses either like during the Trestman era.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'm seeing 4 wins and I have lasik

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Texans, Osweiler unproven ...meh

Eagles ....suck

Dallas bad defense, Oline is a bitch with EE could be hard to beat.

Lions, no Megatron, beat us twice last year not again.

Colts, will Luck be better this year?

Jaguars not as good as Bears.

Packers we know who they are a split would be good, maybe Floyd will sack the very happy AR a couple times

Vikings, tough young fast D they'll be hard to beat

Bears 9-7

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Texans, Osweiler unproven ...meh

Osweiler beat us last year

Eagles ....suck

We don't know that yet

Dallas bad defense, Oline is a bitch with EE could be hard to beat.

Agreed but Rod Marinelli is a pretty damn good DC

Lions, no Megatron, beat us twice last year not again.

We don't know how this will effect their O yet. Stafford used to lock onto him too often. I think overall losing Megatron will hurt (obviously) but not as much as some are projecting.

Colts, will Luck be better this year?

Yes

Jaguars not as good as Bears.

Says who?

Packers we know who they are a split would be good, maybe Floyd will sack the very happy AR a couple times

Hopefully Floyd will get his but that doesn't equal a win(s)

Vikings, tough young fast D they'll be hard to beat

Agreed

Bears 9-7
Possibly

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
All those other teams suck. Only way we lose a game is if we forfeit.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm really tired of hearing the strength of schedule argument for why we should see a better record this year. Last year's records are irrelevant to this year!!

A closer look at our schedule should not invoke confidence in anyone…

Wk 1 Texans: (9-7)
Playoff team last year with Brian Hoyer at QB. Whatever your feelings on Osweiler are he should represent an improvement for a team that already had some nice weapons and a playoff D.

Wk 2 Eagles: (7-9)
Good D and a vet QB whose playing for his NFL career. Plenty of weapons on O and Doug Pederson will be a good coach IMO.

Wk 3 Cowboys: (4-12)
This team is built around it's O-line and a QB who won't fuck everything up. Worked pretty well for them in 2014 (12-4) when Romo was healthy and Murray was cranking out yards on the ground. Without Romo the team crumbled to 4-12. Romo is back and Zeke is in the mix with McFadden and that powerful OL.

Wk 4 Lions: (7-9)
Surged at the end of last year saving Cladwell's job. Decent QB and defense. Beat us twice last year.

Wk 5 Colts: (8-8)
The Colts' 2015 saw a dramatically different and injury riddled Andrew Luck. I'd expect to see the Luck of old and a Colts team that is closer to the 2014 team that went to the AFC Championship.

Wk 6 Jaguars: (5-11)
Bortles is an up and coming star at QB with a good core of weapons in Robinson, Hurns, Thomas, and 1-2 punch in Yeldon and Ivory in the backfield (both of whom would be #1 back here). Then you look at all the pieces they added on the defense (Jackson, Fowler, Ramsey, Jack etc...) and the Jags look tough on paper.

Wk 7 Packers: (10-6)
The Packers may be on a bit of a down tilt but they get Nelson back this year and as long as they have Rodgers they will be extremely hard to beat.

Wk 8 Vikings: (11-5)
Reigning NFCN champs. Very good D and QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes backed by a HOF RB. Beat us twice last year.

Wk 10 Bucs: (6-10)
Young improving team with a young improving QB who has some weapons and a very good running game.

Wk 11 Giants: (6-10)
New regime but they still have Eli and Beckham. They also added a bunch of new pieces to a struggling D and by this point in the year the new systems should be running on all cylinders.

Wk 12 Titans: (3-13)
Another young QB who looked pretty damn good as rookie and it's pretty easy to project Mariotta to improve. I don't see the Titans as 3 win team as of right now.

Wk 13 49er's: (5-11)
One of those 5 wins came against us.

Wk 14 Lions: (7-9)
See wk 4

Wk 15 Packers: (10-6)
See wk 7

Wk 16 Redskins: (9-7)
Cousins has a nice set of weapons and their D isn't half bad either. Oh yeah... They beat us last year also.

Wk 17 Vikings (11-5)
See wk 8

I'm not making this thread to be all "doom and gloom" and I do believe that the Bears are improved but there are also 31 other teams that think they improved also. I don't see any automatic "W's" on that schedule. On the flip side I don't see and automatic losses either like during the Trestman era.

Teams go from good to bad and from bad to good in one season all the time so it's kinda hard to say what teams will be good, average or bad.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Teams go from good to bad and from bad to good in one season all the time so it's kinda hard to say what teams will be good, average or bad.

Which is part of point. People throw around strength of schedule like its a useful predictor of how the season will go. It isn't.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Do you think when other team's fans do these comparisons they think:

Bears (6-10).
They got rid of that locker room cancer Bennett and let the old man Forte go. This will the year Jay Cutler becomes MVP making the Bears a much improved team on offense.

I do agree with the premise of the OP but I'd rather be seeing those teams than the likes of NE, Sea, Den, Car, Az, etc. While the teams on our schedule might be better than last year, it is still a very likeable schedule.