Addi!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Great article on him and how his confidence has lead to his success. I just dream of him and Baez up the middle permanently. I think the Cubs are starting to think that way as well based off Maddon's comments about Baez. This combo would probably become the best up the middle combo in the game. The range would be unreal.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/197610164/cubs-addison-russell-confident-at-shortstop/

Did I miss something? Maddon's latest comments on Baez were along the lines of, "We play him wherever we think the ball is going to go that day." That doesn't imply that the Cubs are starting to think about locking Baez into one position. In fact, it implies the exact opposite.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They will be a very good combination, although it will be interesting to see how Maddon handles both Baez and Zobrist at the same time.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did I miss something? Maddon's latest comments on Baez were along the lines of, "We play him wherever we think the ball is going to go that day." That doesn't imply that the Cubs are starting to think about locking Baez into one position. In fact, it implies the exact opposite.

SAN DIEGO -- Javier Baez has played all four infield positions for the Cubs this season, and he has definitely shined at second base. Shouldn't he be settling down at one spot?

"It depends on how we morph as a group over the next couple of years," manager Joe Maddon said Wednesday. "I like the way it's working out."
Full Game Coverage

That's because Baez not only has handled himself well defensively, but he has also improved offensively. He entered Wednesday's game batting .276, with a .333 batting average on balls in play.

"You're seeing a lot of progress," Maddon said of Baez. "Who knows if by playing sporadically, this is becoming a part of who he is as opposed to playing every day, getting caught in the trap of not hitting well, which sometimes affects the defense. He's an everyday player, no question."

But Baez won't be an everyday player right now. Maddon likes that Baez has to prepare to play second, short, third or even first, which gives him less time to think about his batting average.

"I believe playing more defense and playing different positions can help a young player become a better offensive player," Maddon said.

The goal now, the skipper said, is if Baez plays, put him at the spot where the ball is most likely going to be hit.

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/197430578/javier-baez-handles-several-infield-positions/

Baez has played more at second base the second half than the first. He has almost caught up in innings at second to third. Zobrist has been sitting or moving to right more. He may put him where he thinks the ball will be hit, but its been up the middle more than anywhere else. Zobrist will be 36 next year. His range has diminished at second. Its only a matter of time until Baez is the majority starter if he continues his hitting especially against righties.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Great article on him and how his confidence has lead to his success. I just dream of him and Baez up the middle permanently. I think the Cubs are starting to think that way as well based off Maddon's comments about Baez. This combo would probably become the best up the middle combo in the game. The range would be unreal.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/197610164/cubs-addison-russell-confident-at-shortstop/

Also possible they play them on the left side rather than up the middle. Having Happ progressing nicely in time with Zobrist's contract could mean more often than not Baez plays at 3B but Happ is also versatile too so chances are they will all see various positions depending on the particular day.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also possible they play them on the left side rather than up the middle. Having Happ progressing nicely in time with Zobrist's contract could mean more often than not Baez plays at 3B but Happ is also versatile too so chances are they will all see various positions depending on the particular day.

They are going to have to commit Bryant somewhere. He isnt going to be able to play multiple positions every year. They are going to have to settle that down.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
They are going to have to commit Bryant somewhere. He isnt going to be able to play multiple positions every year. They are going to have to settle that down.

If Soler is traded in the offseason, Bryant will probably start at 3B against RHP and play LF against LHPs, with Schwarber sitting and Baez starting at 3B.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

At some point....but he's only 24. He can keep doing what he's doing for awhile. Same with Baez, it's the beauty of this team.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

It's not entirely implausible that they just play Heyward in CF for most years and him in RF. I know some on here don't have a lot of love for Almora as a hitter but that sort of alignment would essentially alleviate most of that pain. For me personally, I think Maddon is always going to move guys around. It's just sort of his thing and I really don't see him ever sticking to a "standard" every day line up. I'm sure Baez will play 2B and 3B a lot. I'm sure if Happ hits and is with the team he will play 2B and corner OF. I'm sure Bryant sees playing time at 3B and OF next year. Hell, I'd even bet we see Schwarber behind the player assuming his knee allows it at all next year. I'm not saying it will be often but we know Maddon likes carrying 3 catchers and Schwarber essentially gives you a third C without giving you a third catcher again assuming he's healthy enough for that.

And because Maddon plays guys like this so liberally, it is pretty easy for him to play great match ups and also have most guys on the roster see semi-regular playing time. Guys like Szczur and La Stella probably don't see enough playing time on other teams to have the impact they did this year here or at least if they do see playing time it's often because of injury rather than a steady stream week to week.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Addison at SS and Baez is 2B is ridiculous. Easily the best defensive SS/2B tandem in the league. No duo possesses a better combination of athleticism, foot work, and instincts. Both are major athletes -- hell, Baez is like Gumbo.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez on the bench is the reason why they are this good

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Heyward in CF and Bryant at RF sounds like it would be better. But you lose Baez as the 6th man that keeps the starters fresher all season long.

Joe gets this and that is why Baez is not starting. Is he starter quality? For sure but his real value is keeping guys rested I.E. Off the DL.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This is another feather in Addi's cap though, playing this D with multiple second basemen turning double plays. That is also something special. Slower Zobrist, too quick Baez, and probably why Maddon chose to play stella at third more than second. It matters.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

Nah, I could see him being Zobrist like in playing hundreds of innings at a secondary position. He's a phenomenal athlete. It surprises me more and more that he fell to #2.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nah, I could see him being Zobrist like in playing hundreds of innings at a secondary position. He's a phenomenal athlete. It surprises me more and more that he fell to #2.

Wasn't a fall. Most expected him to Col.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Wasn't a fall. Most expected him to Col.

I'm saying I can't believe Houston didn't take him. To be fair to them, there were questions about the swing and miss in his bat and his ability to field at a high level.

Cubs had five straight top 10 picks and went

Baez (previous regime)
Almora
Bryant
Schwarber
Happ

and the Astros had a similar run of picks and went

DeShields
Springer (11)
Correra
Appel
Aiken

Just amazing to think about the Cubs run at the top of the draft. Forget the other stuff they did, just that run alone is highly impressive.

czman

Liked Posts:
It's not entirely implausible that they just play Heyward in CF for most years and him in RF. I know some on here don't have a lot of love for Almora as a hitter but that sort of alignment would essentially alleviate most of that pain. For me personally, I think Maddon is always going to move guys around. It's just sort of his thing and I really don't see him ever sticking to a "standard" every day line up. I'm sure Baez will play 2B and 3B a lot. I'm sure if Happ hits and is with the team he will play 2B and corner OF. I'm sure Bryant sees playing time at 3B and OF next year. Hell, I'd even bet we see Schwarber behind the player assuming his knee allows it at all next year. I'm not saying it will be often but we know Maddon likes carrying 3 catchers and Schwarber essentially gives you a third C without giving you a third catcher again assuming he's healthy enough for that.

And because Maddon plays guys like this so liberally, it is pretty easy for him to play great match ups and also have most guys on the roster see semi-regular playing time. Guys like Szczur and La Stella probably don't see enough playing time on other teams to have the impact they did this year here or at least if they do see playing time it's often because of injury rather than a steady stream week to week.

If Fowler does walk, I would like to see Szczur play CF and bat leadoff next season. He is about probably equal to Fowler in the field but I think his bad could be better and he runs much better. Not sure about his ability to stay healthy, but Fowler can't do that either. If Fowler wants out, I wouldn't be upset if they threw Szczur and Almora out there for the year. I probably like Szczur far more than most though. 280/330/444 is better than Fowler for his career outside of Coors field and the cost control is nice. My feeling is the Cubs don't view Szczur high enough to give a real chance to start though. I don't suspect he is good enough to foce his way into the lineup. He just seems like someone who could kick start this offense set the table for the big bats they have.

czman

Liked Posts:

At some point I would like to see him out of the 2 spot in the lineup. I think it would be nice to have someone else in the second spot and move Rizzo up a spot and Bryant to clean up. This team is loaded and even if they don't win it this season, they have a great chance to win it all over the next 3 years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Happ will never see the day he can play D like Baez. The Cubs are trying to make him a 2nd baseman for some readon, when they don't have a glaring need for one.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
At some point I would like to see him out of the 2 spot in the lineup. I think it would be nice to have someone else in the second spot and move Rizzo up a spot and Bryant to clean up. This team is loaded and even if they don't win it this season, they have a great chance to win it all over the next 3 years.

Why do you want Bryant to bat fewer times?