30 games left.......

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have 30 games left and 85 wins. So even 500 baseball over the last month is 100 wins. They have a 7.5 game lead on the 2nd best record in the NL, the same size lead as the AL leader has over a team that is outside of the playoffs. they are 15 freaking games up over the cards, and the only team playing over 600 ball. Hell they are almost at 650.

At this point it looks like they will basically be wire to wire best record in baseball, sans ~2 weeks. The Cubs have never been this good in my life, or that I can recall. They may not win the WS, but they are the best team in baseball this year.

I have a hard time not seeing them win a WS in the next few years, unless something just really odd happens. I know some people like being negative and focusing on the rough patches, but this is a really damn good team. Really damn good teams don't always win the the last game of the season, but no matter how it shakes out from here going forward, they are the best team in baseball. 162 games will say they are. I am so glad that I had an opportunity to see this season. Watched 90% f the innings so far, and am looking forward to a few more years just like this.

Just glad it happened in my lifetime.

Yeah man this team has been a real joy to watch. Last nights game was so exciting. I can't believe its already September. Last night and Im sure the next 4 games will feel like a playoff game. It has been really fun to watch them this year. :)

The went 22-6 in August which is tied with the 1932 Cubs for the best August EVER!! They are peaking right at the right time. Its going to be fun watching the game tonight and I expect a big win behind Montgomery. Probably Cahill comes in in the 6th and shuts them down. Chapman for the save unless were up by 5 or more runs.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
You just made the case on why the Cubs may not be the best team in baseball. The difference between the first and second place team is the same as the AL best and a team out of the playoffs. Lots of trash teams in the NL where the AL has very strong parody.

Cubs still could be the best team in baseball. It's hard to really say honestly.

Dude I want some of what you're smoking. Because you are high as hell if you don't think the Cubs are the best team in baseball. They're playing .644 ball when the best next best team isn't even over .600!!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Dude I want some of what you're smoking. Because you are high as hell if you don't think the Cubs are the best team in baseball. They're playing .644 ball when the best next best team isn't even over .600!!
And 11 games over 500 against 500 teams with nine of that being the Pirates and the Rangers are 30 games over. :smh:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
And 11 games over 500 against 500 teams with nine of that being the Pirates and the Rangers are 30 games over. :smh:

What a remarkably stupid argument. Pythagorean expectation, second order wins, third order wins--take your pick--clearly show that the Rangers are an extraordinarily lucky team.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What a remarkably stupid argument. Pythagorean expectation, second order wins, third order wins--take your pick--clearly show that the Rangers are an extraordinarily lucky team.

:lol:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Clearly, there is no way of stating fact who is the best team in baseball. Clearly the Cubs have the best record and are a well balanced team. Fact.

What is also a fact however is the amount of disappointments the team with the best record have had in most recent years in the playoffs as far as winning it all.

All you have to do is look at the amount of WC teams that have went deep. Obviously, it is due to a team being hot at the right time and also match-ups regardless of their record.

If the Cubs make it to the show, one thing for sure is that the AL teams are all going to knock themselves out of the playoffs, so the Cubs would only have to beat one of them. :)

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
I don't really care about the WS. Win or lose we have a great season if we win the NL pennant. More than anything I want that. If we do lose in the WS then we win next year going away, with our pitching and with Schwarber back and with these guys hitting as well as they have been, Rizzo, Bryant, Russell are on tears right now and they're the best defensive team in baseball.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
But the Cubs are clearly the best team in baseball. I don't care if they're just 11 over .500 against over .500 teams. That's what good teams do, go above .500 against winning teams and then take care of the losers which we have done.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Clearly, there is no way of stating fact who is the best team in baseball. Clearly the Cubs have the best record and are a well balanced team. Fact.

What is also a fact however is the amount of disappointments the team with the best record have had in most recent years in the playoffs as far as winning it all.

All you have to do is look at the amount of WC teams that have went deep. Obviously, it is due to a team being hot at the right time and also match-ups regardless of their record.

If the Cubs make it to the show, one thing for sure is that the AL teams are all going to knock themselves out of the playoffs, so the Cubs would only have to beat one of them. :)

The playoffs are a crapshoot. Statistically it's too small a sample size to determine who is "best" at anything but it's also the tournament that decides the championship. Of the major sports only hockey shares this randomness with baseball. While it's certainly possible for and NBA or NFL team to surprise it's nowhere near as likely. The 2001 Seattle Mariners are considered the best team in the modern era and yet they lost to NY in the ALCS. By every objective measure we have the Cubs are the best team in MLB right now, Brett's argument not withstanding, and they'll be going into the playoffs with the highest odds of winning it all that any team has had in several years. The rest is up to chance.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

Games are just nine inning snapshots that don't really correctly predict how good or bad a team is.

Texas - 134 games played
635 runs for
615 runs against

Chicago - 132 games played
652 runs for
450 runs against

So in less games the Cubs have scored more runs while playing in a worse ballpark for offense and defensively they are better by over 150 runs.

And oh yeah, if you want to measure a team by wins, the Cubs have 5 more wins and 7 less loses.

You cannot make any good argument that any team other than the Cubs is the best team this regular season. Winning in the playoffs is different but the Cubs have been amazing this year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

What a novel thing. Sticking with facts over feelings.

If they come out of the NL that is absolutely correct. Though nothing is saying they wouldn't make it if they were an AL team.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't really care about the WS. Win or lose we have a great season if we win the NL pennant. More than anything I want that. If we do lose in the WS then we win next year going away, with our pitching and with Schwarber back and with these guys hitting as well as they have been, Rizzo, Bryant, Russell are on tears right now and they're the best defensive team in baseball.

No they aren't. :sigh:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Games are just nine inning snapshots that don't really correctly predict how good or bad a team is.

Texas - 134 games played
635 runs for
615 runs against

Chicago - 132 games played
652 runs for
450 runs against

So in less games the Cubs have scored more runs while playing in a worse ballpark for offense and defensively they are better by over 150 runs.

And oh yeah, if you want to measure a team by wins, the Cubs have 5 more wins and 7 less loses.

You cannot make any good argument that any team other than the Cubs is the best team this regular season. Winning in the playoffs is different but the Cubs have been amazing this year.
Yes run differential. :smh: The 1987 Twins say Hello as do the giants, dbacks, and royals

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Yes run differential. :smh: The 1987 Twins say Hello as do the giants, dbacks, and royals

I don't see where anyone has said that teams don't get lucky and win. That has nothing to do with this discussion. Sometimes I wonder what it is you're arguing.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Brett has been staking out these narrow, unsupportable, idiotic positions since the offseason projections first predicted that the Cubs would be the head-and-shoulders best team in the league. Which of course he objected to.

Hodor.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
It's been a great regular season. I love our team. I'll never forget the season-saving game against Pittsburgh right before the All-Star break. It was BY FAR the most important game of the season. And I'm just so impressed with how we bounced back from such a rough patch when we couldn't beat anybody. Our guys really proved me wrong and I owe them an apology for doubting them.

We have such a great club house and Theo made some amazing additions -- particularly Chapman and Montgomery. If Heyward starts coming around, look out. Plus tremendous MVP caliber performances by Bryant and Rizzo. And I'm absolutely in awe of Addison Russell. Russell's potential ceiling is virtually unlimited. I honestly have no idea how good he can truly be. He's a stud for the ages.

And how about the assent-ion of Javy Baez? His defensive wizardry is jaw dropping. And none of this includes Schwarber -- who went down week one. What a year -- I hope we win the pennant at least. God, that would be magical.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
It's been a great regular season. I love our team. I'll never forget the season-saving game against Pittsburgh right before the All-Star break. It was BY FAR the most important game of the season. And I'm just so impressed with how we bounced back from such a rough patch when we couldn't beat anybody. Our guys really proved me wrong and I owe them an apology for doubting them.

We have such a great club house and Theo made some amazing additions -- particularly Chapman and Montgomery. If Heyward starts coming around, look out. Plus tremendous MVP caliber performances by Bryant and Rizzo. And I'm absolutely in awe of Addison Russell. Russell's potential ceiling is virtually unlimited. I honestly have no idea how good he can truly be. He's a stud for the ages.

And how about the assent-ion of Javy Baez? His defensive wizardry is jaw dropping. And none of this includes Schwarber -- who went down week one. What a year -- I hope we win the pennant at least. God, that would be magical.

Yeah Russell has been pretty special especially lately. He had basically limitless potential considering he's only 22!! :)

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see where anyone has said that teams don't get lucky and win. That has nothing to do with this discussion. Sometimes I wonder what it is you're arguing.

He's a Sox fan, TC.

That's what they do.