IST: Cubs @ Pirates

DanTown

Liked Posts:
22-9? He is 18-5.

They're 23-9 in games he starts.

Their O is weak compared to the Cubs.

Moore has a ERA in the 4's for Frisco. Cubs kill MR quality lefties. If they want to match him up vs Hendricks sure. I would get it if they did because Shark starting in Wrigg game 2 would get fireballed by the fan base.

I really do not fear SF. Cueto vs Lester is a draw. But the Cubs and Cueto have history so I'm not expecting any edge to him. If anything the edge goes to Jon due to the Cubs having a superior O at home.

Game 2 is the Cubs. Can't see them losing it.

Game 3 in Frisco edge to SF with Bum. You can't say either Jake or John is going to win here.

Game 4 would be a push. At home edge countered by Cubs stronger O.

Could go 5. Hendricks at home you expect it to be a win.

That is how I would view it.

The question about the Giants compared to St Louis and NY is really two questions

1. Who are you MOST likely to be up 2-0 on?
2. If it's tied 1-1, who are you MOST likely to beat?

The answer to neither one of those questions is the Giants because they're starting a P as good as Cueto in game 1 and they have a juggernaut in Bumgarner waiting in game 3. To me, that's all that matters in who do you prefer in a five game series. I mean the Cubs tied 1-1 against the Cardinals and Mets isn't easy but I like my chances a ton more than I like my chances of having to beat SF two out of three. You said it yourself that they have an advantage in game 3. Why on earth would you EVER want to play a team that has an advantage in game 3 AND has a very good game 1 and 5 starter?

Part of the reason I felt very good about last year against the Cardinals was the fact the Cubs had Jake waiting to go in game 3 so all they had to was win one game of the first two and all of the sudden, the series flipped dramatically. That's the same problem with facing SF and to a similar extent the Mets but the Mets first two pitchers (Colon and Lugo both have FIP above 4 and will be pitching on the road) are two guys I like my chances against to have a 2-0 lead.

Since the WC has switched to team teams

2015: Astros tied 1-1, lost in five. Cubs tied 1-1, won in four.
2014: Giants up 2-0, won in four. Royals up 2-0, won in three.
2013: Pittsburgh tied 1-1, lost in five. Tampa down 0-2, lost in four.
2012: St. Louis tied 1-1, won in five. Baltimore 1-1, lost in five.

Wild Card teams are a robust 7-1 at winning at least one game. They are 4-4 overall. They are 2-3 in winning series when tied 1-1 albeit all went at least five.

I just don't get why anyone would want to face the team with the best SP, the most history of being there, and the best SP of the three teams in game 3.

The Cubs have faced Madison twice this year and lost both games and have 16 K vs 8 hits and 2 walks. They faced him last year and he went 6 innings with 2 hits, one walk, 12 K. I just don't want to see an entire's season of work come down to "having to beat Madison Bumgarner or win two games in a row".