Pace is obsessed with finding the right QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
One thing no one is really talking about is Prescott had DUI right around the combine which could have taken him off some draft boards one would think.

Very good point. The haters won't admit it's a good point but it is and it's very true. I didn't even know he had a DUI around combine time.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the Minnesota turn around was quick?? Holy shit i hope that's not what we consider quick or we have a long ass way to go. The last time Minnesota was good was the D.Culpepper/R.Moss days so that's not what i would call a quick turn around....lol

Eh, Minnesota started building a pretty good talent base via the draft back in about 2012. From 2012 to 2015 they haven't really whiffed on much if at al. So really it's taken them about 3 drafts and a new coach to get it turned around. Having Adrian Peterson on the roster is obviously a massive help but even if he wasn't on the roster you could look around at what else they've acquired and say they've done damn well drafting.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace obviously was head over heels for Mariota and that trade up didn't work out. I think we have to keep this past draft in context. Pace tried to make the aggressive move for Mariota knowing what the '16 QB class would look like. No one should be surprised that he didn't grab a QB this year as part of the reason he tried to take Mariota last year is because he knew he didn't like the '16 class. He could end up being wrong about that but it's still something to keep in mind.

In '17 I haven't heard much of anything yet but the top end of this QB class looks better and IMO has more guys that someone like Pace would want. If he's going to make a move to hitch his wagons to a QB you have to assume/figure it's going to be this year.

proton

Liked Posts:
Yeah that long history of Bears coaching staffs developing young QB's is very impressive. Patton Oswalt will be fired soon and they will be starting from scratch on offense again. Based on a long history it would be very stupid to assume there is anyone in the building capable of developing a young QB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We see Prescott having success...it's easy to say see....he is better than Cutler! That's not the point...we had fucking Fales at the time...they already made it clear he can't play...hell even suit up.....he would be cheaper than Homer and probably had the ability to do the same shit.

So if Pace graded Nick K, Bush, and Hall as future productive starters but had Prescott as middling back-up QB, you think he should still have drafted him simply because he is better than the 3rd string QB who doesn't typically suit up on Sundays?

You can argue Pace's evaluation of Prescott was wrong but it seems odd to me to argue that we should draft a 3rd string QB in the 4th round even if we have players rated considerably higher.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So if Pace graded Nick K, Bush, and Hall as future productive starters but had Prescott as middling back-up QB, you think he should still have drafted him simply because he is better than the 3rd string QB who doesn't typically suit up on Sundays?

You can argue Pace's evaluation of Prescott was wrong but it seems odd to me to argue that we should draft a 3rd string QB in the 4th round even if we have players rated considerably higher.

He just signed two ILB in free agency, please tell me how Nick K was a starter or viewed as one? Bush and Hall....we could have still got them.

Also Prescott was very good at Mississippi St....he was in a leadership roll and produced at a high rate....if he somehow was graded low, then he has a fucked up way of grading a player that couldn't be better than Fales?...finding a abundance of starters in the fourth is pathetic way of looking at draft...how about he finds a productive one in the first, with two top 10 picks?

Prescott would have been a back-up to Cutler and if I recall he signed Hoyer after the draft...yes the same guy 99% of this board is unhappy with and how he proved he was already struggling in this league....sounds like a sound plan.

Sign castoffs that proved they were not that productive and draft guys that are potential starters even though we didn't need a ILB in the fourth, or a OLB in the first.....and since we are talking about evaluations of talent...this guy let go of 3 top ten players(at there respective positions)because they were supposedly too old or malcontents...., let's draft young guys and let them get use to this culture of losing, they don't need Vet's..forgot to mention this genius can't sign our best skill position offensive player in Alshon...if that's his history, then please quit acting like we are dealing with some roster move genius......he just signed a 30 year running back, because his pet fourth rounder in Langford can't get the job done. The same age half this board claimed was too old and it's time to move on from some other guy named Forte...SMH.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He just signed two ILB in free agency, please tell me how Nick K was a starter or viewed as one? Bush and Hall....we could have still got them.

Also Prescott was very good at Mississippi St....he was in a leadership roll and produced at a high rate....if he somehow was graded low, then he has a fucked up way of grading a player that couldn't be better than Fales?...finding a abundance of starters in the fourth is pathetic way of looking at draft...how about he finds a productive one in the first, with two top 10 picks?

Prescott would have been a back-up to Cutler and if I recall he signed Hoyer after the draft...yes the same guy 99% of this board is unhappy with and how he proved he was already struggling in this league....sounds like a sound plan.

Sign castoffs that proved they were not that productive and draft guys that are potential starters even though we didn't need a ILB in the fourth, or a OLB in the first.....and since we are talking about evaluations of talent...this guy let go of 3 top ten players(at there respective positions)because they were supposedly too old or malcontents...., let's draft young guys and let them get use to this culture of losing, they don't need Vet's..forgot to mention this genius can't sign our best skill position offensive player in Alshon...if that's his history, then please quit acting like we are dealing with some roster move genius......he just signed a 30 year running back, because his pet fourth rounder in Langford can't get the job done. The same age half this board claimed was too old and it's time to move on from some other guy named Forte...SMH.

Did you miss where I said FUTURE productive starters? And no the point is he may have been graded low relative to the guys selected in the 4th round. Prescott's competition wasn't Fales. It was the guys the Bears drafted ahead of him. If Pace saw those guys as future starters and saw Prescott as capable of being better than Fales then the best course of action is to take the guys he ended up taking.

We need good players period. This team isn't good enough to pass on good players just to sign 3rd string QBs. Being better than Fales isn't a reason to draft a QB. And I agree he should try and find productive players with the top 10 picks and he should do that next year by drafting a QB in the 1st round not trying to find a QB better than Fales in the 4th if he has players rated significantly higher on his draft board.

Our pass rush was inconsistent so we did need an OLB in the first. McPhee had injuries and Houston and Young have proven to be up and down players. We had every reason to want to add to a pass rush that was not elite last year. Or did I miss all the sacks the Bears had last year and this year?

And this thread isn't about his failing to sign Forte or Marshall so not sure why you are bringing them up. I never said those were good moves by Pace.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Brian Hoyer, Matt Barkley. He's real obsessed.

I would have been ok drafting Barkley in the fourth round of 2013 to develop though. His final preseason game was really good this year, but the eagles got a better option who did not need any development. People seem to think Barkley is garbage though.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did you miss where I said FUTURE productive starters? And no the point is he may have been graded low relative to the guys selected in the 4th round. Prescott's competition wasn't Fales. It was the guys the Bears drafted ahead of him. If Pace saw those guys as future starters and saw Prescott as capable of being better than Fales then the best course of action is to take the guys he ended up taking.

We need good players period. This team isn't good enough to pass on good players just to sign 3rd string QBs. Being better than Fales isn't a reason to draft a QB. And I agree he should try and find productive players with the top 10 picks and he should do that next year by drafting a QB in the 1st round not trying to find a QB better than Fales in the 4th if he has players rated significantly higher on his draft board.

Our pass rush was inconsistent so we did need an OLB in the first. McPhee had injuries and Houston and Young have proven to be up and down players. We had every reason to want to add to a pass rush that was not elite last year. Or did I miss all the sacks the Bears had last year and this year?

And this thread isn't about his failing to sign Forte or Marshall so not sure why you are bringing them up. I never said those were good moves by Pace.

Why did the Cowboys draft him Remy? Was it because they wanted a capable back up...or too start over Romo? Guess what,....a back-up and he responded and now looks like a potential starter in this league. QB is a huge need and at the time we had Cutler and Fales...how do u not want to improve on that position....is he waiting for a must need moment?

You had McPhee, Young and Houston...if ur going to draft a OLB...can it be one that fits the system and not a project? I agree our depth is pathetic and we need guys...but thats what usually happens in rounds 4-7 and u hope u land some. So hoping for a guy like Prescott to be a capable backup and allowed to learn is not a reach or why pick...Someone mentioned the Packers who have drafted QBs with studs...Rodgers has awhile to go in this league, but their GM seems to understand having a capable backup while learning is a good thing.

Ref Marshall and Forte...they are relevant...because we are talking about his ability to draft and evaluate....he created holes and used draft picks to replace them...White and Langford.

How old are Freeman and Trevanthan...because I still don't get the Nick K pick

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why did the Cowboys draft him Remy? Was it because they wanted a capable back up...or too start over Romo? Guess what,....a back-up and he responded and now looks like a potential starter in this league. QB is a huge need and at the time we had Cutler and Fales...how do u not want to improve on that position....is he waiting for a must need moment?

You had McPhee, Young and Houston...if ur going to draft a OLB...can it be one that fits the system and not a project? I agree our depth is pathetic and we need guys...but thats what usually happens in rounds 4-7 and u hope u land some. So hoping for a guy like Prescott to be a capable backup and allowed to learn is not a reach or why pick...Someone mentioned the Packers who have drafted QBs with studs...Rodgers has awhile to go in this league, but their GM seems to understand having a capable backup while learning is a good thing.

Ref Marshall and Forte...they are relevant...because we are talking about his ability to draft and evaluate....he created holes and used draft picks to replace them...White and Langford.

How old are Freeman and Trevanthan...because I still don't get the Nick K pick

They drafted him most likely because they had him rated higher than the Bears likely did. Teams have different grades on players. It's also possible they thought he fit their scheme and the Bears didn't think he fit theirs. Or that they thought he would develop faster and the Bears thought he was a project.

There are any number of reasons. All we know is Pace presumably had other players rated higher. You act like not getting a QB this year is the apocalyose. For all we know Pace already knew going in he was going to do whatever it takes next year to draft a QB because he likes next year's class better.

If he pulls a Washington and drafts a QB in the 1st and 3rd next year, would that not explain why he didn't draft one this year?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Eh, Minnesota started building a pretty good talent base via the draft back in about 2012. From 2012 to 2015 they haven't really whiffed on much if at al. So really it's taken them about 3 drafts and a new coach to get it turned around. Having Adrian Peterson on the roster is obviously a massive help but even if he wasn't on the roster you could look around at what else they've acquired and say they've done damn well drafting.

E.Griffin was drafted in 2010 and he's their best player on defense.
K.Rudolph was drafted in 2011 and he's a big part of their offense.
B.Robinson was drafted in 2007 and he's been a big part playing opposite of Griffin
A.Peterson was drafted 2007 and don't think i need to say much about him

Those 4 are big parts of why Minnesota is where they are.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace obviously was head over heels for Mariota and that trade up didn't work out. I think we have to keep this past draft in context. Pace tried to make the aggressive move for Mariota knowing what the '16 QB class would look like. No one should be surprised that he didn't grab a QB this year as part of the reason he tried to take Mariota last year is because he knew he didn't like the '16 class. He could end up being wrong about that but it's still something to keep in mind.

In '17 I haven't heard much of anything yet but the top end of this QB class looks better and IMO has more guys that someone like Pace would want. If he's going to make a move to hitch his wagons to a QB you have to assume/figure it's going to be this year.

Do you think the 2017 draft class of QB's will be one of the better ones to come out in a while?? It sure seems like it could be a really good class even after the top 3 that are being talked about there's still some interesting names.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

But nobody had a very good evaluation of Prescott or there would be no way in hell they would let him sit there until the 4th round if they had a good evaluation. It wasn't just Pace it was every GM.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Words: we value the QB position, we want to draft a QB every year like Ron Wolfe.

Actions: 15 picks, 0 QBs

Words: we are close, we are going to compete

Actions: a total non compeitive trash heap

Words: we have the best fans in the NFL

Actions: suck on 1-8 at home, stupidest fans in the NFL

I don't believe shit these clowns say.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This isn't about finding a starter, but he could have taken a guy that is better than our back up, Fales(at the time)....this is the mind boggling shit to me...fine he didn't see a starter....but does this mfer see a back up better than the piece of Shit who can't suit up on Sunday's?

Ouch.....but Calabis, tell us how ya really feel.:hi5:

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They drafted him most likely because they had him rated higher than the Bears likely did. Teams have different grades on players. It's also possible they thought he fit their scheme and the Bears didn't think he fit theirs. Or that they thought he would develop faster and the Bears thought he was a project.

There are any number of reasons. All we know is Pace presumably had other players rated higher. You act like not getting a QB this year is the apocalyose. For all we know Pace already knew going in he was going to do whatever it takes next year to draft a QB because he likes next year's class better.

If he pulls a Washington and drafts a QB in the 1st and 3rd next year, would that not explain why he didn't draft one this year?

No I don't act like getting a QB is the end of the world, but getting a QB and allowing him to sit and learn, is a far better option than drafting him and throwing him behind a garbage offensive line. I don't need to see a wasted pick because he gets blasted and thrown in as a immediate starter....acting like Cutler isn't at the end of his rope is ridiculous. We talk about every position as a need, yet when it comes to the most important one, it's like...."oh our bipolar QB, void of leadership, can hold the mantle while we address everything else"....we are void of talent at QB yet it's....let's wait til we get a sure thing....like who?

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Words: we value the QB position, we want to draft a QB every year like Ron Wolfe.

Actions: 15 picks, 0 QBs

Words: we are close, we are going to compete

Actions: a total non compeitive trash heap

Words: we have the best fans in the NFL

Actions: suck on 1-8 at home, stupidest fans in the NFL

I don't believe shit these clowns say.

It's amazing that people are OK that he hasn't. Cutler is 33 and damn near done....what are we waiting for?