AMD Bristol Ridge, ZEN?

AussieBear

Ive still been holding off on the upgrade, and im starting to get impatient. good thing i got shit to do in life and dont mind subpar performance from the shit i have right now. plus i havent been playing anything new.. But im getting ready to pounce when bristol ridge or zens finally hit the shelves. Hopefully its not all hype and they can deliver. Worst case, perhaps they cause 1-2 year old intels cpus to drop in price some and i just go that route instead.

I may just go bristol ridge to begin with since the am4 sockets will be compatible with the zens aswell. I know the bristol ridge is apu but i noticed it said dual graphics.. im assuming i can hook up a gpu and get the benefits of the apu/gpu combo.. is this feature just fluff??

What are your thoughts on bristol ridge/zen... dont care?? should i just get another intel cpu??

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Hard to have thoughts on something with limited exposure.

I'm hoping Naples boards are out soon. I've been holding off for a while, because AMD fell asleep and Intel started slipping. If the new Xeons have good price:performance, then sorry Naples. The good news, as always, if you get an AM4 board, you can run ECC ram. Very useful if you have a security based project system. And if you just play games, save a buck and don't go ecc and see how intel changes prices to compete. This is a win win. Even idiot fanboys have been saving their jokes for the new spark in the rivalry. win win win?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i would have liked to see what zen had to offer before building my pc, but as it turns out that would have meant waiting a year since zen isnt releasing until at least q1 2017.

anyway based on whats out their, zen should offer performance per core around recent intel chips, though perhaps not quite on par with skylake/kaby. as for core count it looks like theyll offer 4 core 4 thread and 4 core 8 thread variants, as well as enthusiast 8 core 16 thread chips. the one nice thing is theyll all be on the same socket rather than itnel with its separate x platform. price wise theyll probably be on par with intel of similar core/thread count/performance, perhaps trying to undercut intel a bit, but the cant by much since amd needs the money.

in the end if youre just gaming or doing average desktop stuff and even light multitasking an i5 is plenty, and an i7 will cut it for all but the heaviest work. is it worth waiting at least 4, maybe 5 months?

AussieBear

Hard to have thoughts on something with limited exposure.

I'm hoping Naples boards are out soon. I've been holding off for a while, because AMD fell asleep and Intel started slipping. If the new Xeons have good price:performance, then sorry Naples. The good news, as always, if you get an AM4 board, you can run ECC ram. Very useful if you have a security based project system. And if you just play games, save a buck and don't go ecc and see how intel changes prices to compete. This is a win win. Even idiot fanboys have been saving their jokes for the new spark in the rivalry. win win win?

i would have liked to see what zen had to offer before building my pc, but as it turns out that would have meant waiting a year since zen isnt releasing until at least q1 2017.

anyway based on whats out their, zen should offer performance per core around recent intel chips, though perhaps not quite on par with skylake/kaby. as for core count it looks like theyll offer 4 core 4 thread and 4 core 8 thread variants, as well as enthusiast 8 core 16 thread chips. the one nice thing is theyll all be on the same socket rather than itnel with its separate x platform. price wise theyll probably be on par with intel of similar core/thread count/performance, perhaps trying to undercut intel a bit, but the cant by much since amd needs the money.

in the end if youre just gaming or doing average desktop stuff and even light multitasking an i5 is plenty, and an i7 will cut it for all but the heaviest work. is it worth waiting at least 4, maybe 5 months?

yeah im hoping amd delivers and a price war ensues on the older stuff... well one can hope.. im not a fanboy of either.. just a price to performance whore..

i thought about getting an i5 or i7.. i have two older i3s.. 1st and 2nd gens... theyve been okay.. but its time to upgrade the 1st gen rig to something else...and a gpu upgrade as well...

monitors too...i had been eh on 4k... but im considering it now.. especially since they are finally coming down in price here... i may even get an aldi brand 4k and use it as my monitor.. they carry 48" and 65" ones every now and then... the only con is the 60hz and 8 ms.. idk.. i could get three 24" hd monitors with 1ms if i wanted the 60hz for the price of the aldi 65".. im gonna have to pay for higher hz i suppose.....eh one thing at a time...

itll be for gaming... software development (Infinity- gemrb and unity engines)....2d/3d modeling/animation and audio production...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see why anyone would wait unless they are just hoping for a more competitive price to performance ratio.

But in terms of Zen achieving some big step in performance, meh. I don't see it. For folks that mostly game, you can get plenty or performance already. I have a 4790k overclocked to 4.7 gHz at 1.28 mv. That is like a 4 year old chip that performs within 5% of anything that has come out since.

I am just hoping that zen has a successful launch just to put some heat intel and some competition in the market.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah im hoping amd delivers and a price war ensues on the older stuff... well one can hope.. im not a fanboy of either.. just a price to performance whore..

i thought about getting an i5 or i7.. i have two older i3s.. 1st and 2nd gens... theyve been okay.. but its time to upgrade the 1st gen rig to something else...and a gpu upgrade as well...

monitors too...i had been eh on 4k... but im considering it now.. especially since they are finally coming down in price here... i may even get an aldi brand 4k and use it as my monitor.. they carry 48" and 65" ones every now and then... the only con is the 60hz and 8 ms.. idk.. i could get three 24" hd monitors with 1ms if i wanted the 60hz for the price of the aldi 65".. im gonna have to pay for higher hz i suppose.....eh one thing at a time...

itll be for gaming... software development (Infinity- gemrb and unity engines)....2d/3d modeling/animation and audio production...

I just helped this kid build a computer and got a i5 4590k and z97 mobo off HardwareSwap for $155. I would look on there.

AussieBear

I don't see why anyone would wait unless they are just hoping for a more competitive price to performance ratio.

But in terms of Zen achieving some big step in performance, meh. I don't see it. For folks that mostly game, you can get plenty or performance already. I have a 4790k overclocked to 4.7 gHz at 1.28 mv. That is like a 4 year old chip that performs within 5% of anything that has come out since.

I am just hoping that zen has a successful launch just to put some heat intel and some competition in the market.

I just helped this kid build a computer and got a i5 4590k and z97 mobo off HardwareSwap for $155. I would look on there.

are you running win 10? i read awhile back, lots of issues with oc on win 10 but i didnt look too much into it.

as far as prices.....prices here are jacked...i dont want to spend too much... but i might just to future proof some... idk.... 850-1k for a 1080 here.. 4590 non k is 297 on newegg aus.... 4790k is 500 bucks... newegg does have a combo deal for a 4790k for about 700 though.. z97 and a stick of ram

part of the reason i wanna see what bristol ridge is all about is that i might just buy an am4/bristol and a do a zen upgrade at a future date... if bristol ridge dual graphics are compatible with rx 460-480.. i may go that route for now

im also deciding if i want be vr ready now or wait awhile on the a 1080 or rx480 and get a couple of steps below.. i mean id still be paying 170 for a 4b rx 460.. same price for a 2gb 460 with crossfirex.. could buy one now and add another later.. ive just seen issues with certain games using crossfire.. so im a little apprehensive about the tech.. im willing to spend more on a gpu vs a cpu though... just need to find a good producing combo at a good price so i can get some new monitors too..

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was talking about CPUs and suggesting you get a used one. Thats all.

And no, I have not had problems with 10 and OCing.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think I should start a business as a shipping middleman. Like people order stuff to my house off US amazon or newegg and then I ship it to them directly. Charge a flat fee per item or some shit.

Would that work?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, also, there is zero point in buying VR shit until there are actual fully developed VR games that are good. Which could still be 3-4 years down the road.

AussieBear

I think I should start a business as a shipping middleman. Like people order stuff to my house off US amazon or newegg and then I ship it to them directly. Charge a flat fee per item or some shit.

Would that work?

yeah until you see shipping charges.. the sister sent me 12 sticks of deo (they dont carry the one i like) and some shirts and the bill was 60-65 dollars to ship..

ppl in oz are just fucked. even when the aussie dollar was buying 1.10 us a few years back.. brand new console games for example, were still 100 bucks new. it only buys .77 us now, so we get that hit as well.

a lot of ppl do make money importing specific things.. the inlaw use to import boats from tx... they cost 10k, plus up to 10k for freight/taxes and sold them for 30k.. cars are good money if you have the capital and want to sit on merchandise for awhile.. anything not 20 years old, you'll have to convert them to right hand drive as well (suppose to anyway).. i mean a brand new 2016 chevy silverado is only a mere 160k http://www.carsales.com.au/car/chevrolet/silverado ... look at that list and even a 2003 silverado is listed for 45k. what are they in the us 8-15??? but freight/taxes 10k+.. convert it to right hand drive 5-10k???? idk 23k(30k aud) - 35k (45k aud)... need to buy and ship in bulk to save a little i suppose

id buy used tech if there was a good reliable market for stuff here... at the same time ppl want their money and its really not much cheaper than new.. for example https://sydney.craigslist.com.au/sys/5760616025.html 900 bucks for someones used rig... at the same time that cpu is nearly 3 new and 4 for the card..

plus there are only 8 cpus even listed.. craigslist aint shit here.... they have something similar called gumtree... but thats pretty hit and miss too... i may need to travel to the cbd and find some non advertised chinese pc shop to see if they have any of those asian specials..

AussieBear

Oh, also, there is zero point in buying VR shit until there are actual fully developed VR games that are good. Which could still be 3-4 years down the road.

yeah i may hold off.. i would definitely save a chunk of change not buying a top shelf gpu. im sure in a few years there will be better and cheaper options anyway

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, do they really convert cars right hand drive? Thats insane.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you want to game now, then get a gpu. The waiting game doesn't pay off. There isn't gon be some big jump in power. If you are waiting for VR to finally have a "killer app" like a fully realized rpg or open world action game or some shit, you are looking at years.

In terms of price/performance the best are rx480 or gtx 1060. GTX 1070 if you want more high end. Otherwise gon have to wait for the 1080ti. GTX 1080 is not worth it at all right now.

Also, forget 4k unless you are trying spend a lot of money.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

But the Sony commercials.... PEOPLE SEEM SO AMAZED IT MUST BE REALLY LIFELIKE

AussieBear

lol, do they really convert cars right hand drive? Thats insane.

If you want to game now, then get a gpu. The waiting game doesn't pay off. There isn't gon be some big jump in power. If you are waiting for VR to finally have a "killer app" like a fully realized rpg or open world action game or some shit, you are looking at years.

In terms of price/performance the best are rx480 or gtx 1060. GTX 1070 if you want more high end. Otherwise gon have to wait for the 1080ti. GTX 1080 is not worth it at all right now.

Also, forget 4k unless you are trying spend a lot of money.

yup right hand drive and we drive on the wrong side of the road... im use to now though

the last main hold up is seeing what bristol ridge is all about.. if i doesnt impress ill probably just get another intel.. if it wasnt for the wait id probably just get a i5 6600k today... 500ish combo deal right now.

as far as gpu.. rx 460-470 and 1060 are on the list... it just depends on what i spend elsewhere...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
By all accounts, VR is fucking amazing. Like holy fuck amazing.

But it suffers the same problem so many platforms that came before it had - there aren't really any full games for it. Its a problem cause the user base is so small, producing a full on AAA release for VR presents an obscene risk. It's not enough for everyone that already has a VR unit to buy your game. That likely isn't enough to turn a profit. You would have to count on tens of thousands more people buying the ~$600 units to play your game.

From the start, I thought the big failing of Oculus/Vive was that they forgot about the software. They put all their development into hardware and sorta took it on faith users and game devs would follow. But users don't come unless there are games and devs don't come unless there are users. Sort of a catch 22. If Oculus/Vive had really wanted to jump start VR, they should have bankrolled a big ass AAA game - something on the level of skyrim or the witcher. A blockbuster title would have had those units flying off the shelf.

By the way - I know they DID bankroll some games, but a such a small scale that they turned out to be basically just glorified tech demos.

Sony VR could really change the landscape. It appears that Sony already has a large number of games in development for VR as well as ports of older games. This could lead to a scenario where companies are developing for Sony VR and then eventually porting over to PC or just gaining the experience with the unique challenges to VR to make future titles for all platforms. It's possible that sony VR could really jump start the whole VR market.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yup right hand drive and we drive on the wrong side of the road... im use to now though

the last main hold up is seeing what bristol ridge is all about.. if i doesnt impress ill probably just get another intel.. if it wasnt for the wait id probably just get a i5 6600k today... 500ish combo deal right now.

as far as gpu.. rx 460-470 and 1060 are on the list... it just depends on what i spend elsewhere...

Bristol ridge gon be a waste of money. They are for people that don't have anything at all right now and somehow know for sure they want zen and want something to hold them over while they wait.

The intel kaby lake chips will be an optimized version of skylake and will probably be bad ass - like the difference between 4770k and 4970k. They are supposed to come out this year, but will probably be overpriced like all intel chips. They are probably worth waiting for tho.

AussieBear

Bristol ridge gon be a waste of money. They are for people that don't have anything at all right now and somehow know for sure they want zen and want something to hold them over while they wait.

The intel kaby lake chips will be an optimized version of skylake and will probably be bad ass - like the difference between 4770k and 4970k. They are supposed to come out this year, but will probably be overpriced like all intel chips. They are probably worth waiting for tho.

yeah i was wanting a stop gap myself... if the dual graphic compatibility is with a decent card and if the price/performance are decent.. it may be something i use for a year or two.. if i can save some on the cpu, i dont have to look like an ass to the wife.. and to be honest, myself.. since im no longer a hardcore gamer and dont game that much anymore... going high end is probably overkill for me..

thought about just getting the skylakes to future proof for a couple more years?? part of me still wants to buy into the dead am3 platform, but i wont...

i even thought about OCing i3 6100/6320 (then getting the 6600 or 6700 2-3 yrs later) with some ddr4 3200. using the difference saved now to a better gpu.. i had read you could still oc the non k's with a line of MSI mobos and others. i just wouldnt know which to get atm... got an opinion on any of these msi boards if i were to go this route??? the mobo list is nearly a 1/4 of the way down the page http://overclocking.guide/updated-msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide-new-bios/

First Intel Core i7-7700k Benchmarks Are Out – Show An Impressive 40% Gain in Single Threaded Performance and 20% Gain in Multi Threaded Performance Over Skylake

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-benchmarks/

when are the kaby lakes hitting the shelf?? wonder how they will affect the skylake prices regardless of amd zens