Future QB Talk

MCFeltman

Liked Posts:
I feel like all the talk about which incoming college QB is best just emphasizes NCChiFan's point above. Of course it's highly unlikely that Watson is awful, but you're seemingly just as likely to find a franchise guy after the first round as in it. I want to know why we can't stick with Cutler for a couple more years and get him some tackles and a defense with a secondary. I know he's been awful lately but look at what he's been playing with.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I feel like all the talk about which incoming college QB is best just emphasizes NCChiFan's point above. Of course it's highly unlikely that Watson is awful, but you're seemingly just as likely to find a franchise guy after the first round as in it. I want to know why we can't stick with Cutler for a couple more years and get him some tackles and a defense with a secondary. I know he's been awful lately but look at what he's been playing with.
Nice second post. Cutler should get a few more years, I think another 100 mil and it could happen.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fortunately, everyone here knows that isn't true. Doesn't mean you make a huge reach but if you have the grade on a QB, you take him.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I suppose so, though you do actually have to field a QB this year and probably the next. Just pisses me off that we finally have a pick at #3 and the one position we need the most is absent due to a lack of decent QB's in the draft.

Would it have helped us if it were last year?

QB went 1 and 2 (and one was a reach). The 3rd went late 1st. We would have been without a QB last draft also.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

QB went 1 and 2 (and one was a reach). The 3rd went late 1st. We would have been without a QB last draft also.

Trying to cheer me up?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's actually been true of every year. Bortles was the last QB to go 3 in quite some time and he was the 1st guy taken. I think Trubisky goes top 2 by either original pick or trade up but I personally hope he's there for us.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

Last year there was a general consensus about 2 qb's going 1-2, zero consensus this year except the qb class is mediocre. Point 2, the best qb taken last year looks like a 4th round pick.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you'll find a consensus of Trubisky top 3 after the combine when that sort of consensus can actually take shape and even that's early. Everyone will be there and that's where consensus starts to develop.

The 2 QBs were not the consensus top 2 picks at this time last year or the year before either. Mariota showed a lot at the combine and it moved him there. In fact Milner had him 6th in his post combine mock. Goff, 7th. Wentz was still climbing at this time of year as well. Some had him there but some have Trubisky already there as well and as early as last year.

It's like posters are in hurry to make proclamations before it's time. Like saying it makes it so. It doesn't. I have my opinion and you have yours. There can be no 'consensus' at this time. That's just pushing an agenda.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I've been trying to figure out who Deshaun Watson reminds me of and it finally came to me. Colt McCoy anyone? Watson is a better athlete for sure, but I think as a passer there are similarities. What do y'all think?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I've been trying to figure out who Deshaun Watson reminds me of and it finally came to me. Colt McCoy anyone? Watson is a better athlete for sure, but I think as a passer there are similarities. What do y'all think?

I think you're way off. The similarities begin and end with the leadership ability they showed at the collegiate level. Watson is not only a better athlete, but better all around passer, especially on any throws over 12-15 yards. Better pocket presence, better intermediate game, better anticipation, better deep ball.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Colt was great leader and had better placement. He lacked the arm strength of Watson, is probably an inch shorter and not quite as athletic. Not that different overall but not as good a prospect. Guys that float a deep ball drop in the draft. It's why JG lasted and why guys like Webb and Peterman won't go as high as some here think.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Won't throw sarcasm at you. Simply put Jay Cutler goes 16 million dollars against our cap. Now if he was a 16 million dollar quarterback I would agree on keeping him. But to take that kind of hit when you might, and I mean might, get 8 games out of him is stupid. I used to support Jay Cutler but at this point his value isn't worth the money. They are better off letting him go and trying to pick up someone that can do the same job but for half the cost. At the same time you can get a young qb to groom for the job.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jeremiah polled 5 Execs

Executive 1: Kirk Cousins
"My first option would be to find a way to get Kirk Cousins. I think there's a big dropoff after him, including college and pro options. If I couldn't land Cousins, I'd target AJ McCarron over Jimmy Garoppolo."

Executive 2: Tony Romo
"If you are close to winning, Romo is by far the best option. Obviously, if you are looking for a long-term solution, you would be more likely to pursue Garoppolo, (Mike) Glennon or one of the QBs in the draft."

Executive 3: Romo
"I'd make a run at Tony Romo. I think he can still play at a high level."

Executive 4: Davis Webb
"If I were a team like Cleveland, I would take impact players at (pick Nos.) 1 and 12 and then trade back into the bottom of the first round for Davis Webb. I think he will end up being the best quarterback of this draft class."

Executive 5: AJ McCarron
"I wouldn't feel good about making a major commitment to any of these quarterbacks. If I had to choose one, I would go after McCarron. Ideally, you get him for a late second- or early third-round pick. Then, if it doesn't work out, you draft a QB in 2018."

Summary: That's two votes for Romo and one apiece for Cousins, Webb and McCarron.

Conclusion: Most of these executives seem to prefer the veteran signal-callers over the quarterback options in the 2017 NFL Draft. However, the Davis Webb scenario for Cleveland has me intrigued (I need to go study some more of his tape). I think the best option might be to wait for next year before going all-in on a quarterback. In the meantime, do your homework on the quarterback options in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft and pray that you get lucky and land the next Dak Prescott.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
20 bucks says Jeremiah comes back with a new glowing review of Webb..........Confirmation bias is the norm this time of year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Webb reminds me of Barkley.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
My dark horse pick from both before, and after yesterday's showing, is Brad Kaaya. He just does everything well, but doesn't wow you with hype. I think he had the best showing yesterday, even better than the four big named QBs. But, when people are selling you on hype, they don't bend sometimes.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you're way off. The similarities begin and end with the leadership ability they showed at the collegiate level. Watson is not only a better athlete, but better all around passer, especially on any throws over 12-15 yards. Better pocket presence, better intermediate game, better anticipation, better deep ball.

To me he is similar to Russell Wilson in his ability to move around and throw from different arm angles.