OT: What's wrong with Aaron Rodgers?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Rodgers falls from ranks of greats

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...5/mcginn-rodgers-falls-ranks-greats/92053540/

"GREEN BAY - It starts in August, with Rich Gannon serving as analyst for the exhibition games.

Now it continues with the network broadcasters assigned to the games that count.

From the standpoint of the Green Bay Packers, the story begins and ends with Aaron Rodgers, twice a winner of the NFL most valuable player award.

A lovefest is what it is, non-stop talk about the quarterback that is the face of the Packers franchise and how great he is. The narrative, with a wrinkle here and there, basically has been the same since Rodgers’ magnificent play led Green Bay to a Super Bowl title six years ago.

People working for networks that pay billions to become NFL partners won’t change their sunny approach. Realists understand, however, that it’s time for that narrative to change.

Rodgers might be great again, and from someone who picked the Packers for a 13-3 record and Super Bowl berth this season it’s fully expected that he will. It could happen Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field. The Packers have the pieces to turn it around on offense, and in dramatic fashion.

Until it happens, Rodgers should be categorized as a good veteran quarterback scuffling to regain his elite form.

Are 16 games, the equivalent of one regular season, long enough to say a quarterback has slipped? That should go without saying.
Rodgers hasn’t been the same player since Game 7 last season when the Packers, a three-point favorite, went to Denver and were crushed, 29-10.

“I haven’t had my ass kicked like that in a long time,” said coach Mike McCarthy, but Rodgers might have said the same thing after throwing for a career-low 77 yards.

That was the start of a 16-game stretch – 12 last year, four this year – in which Rodgers’ level of play, so outstanding season after season, has fallen.

Working backward, Rodgers’ career was divided into eight 16-game segments, playoff games included. The two games in which he departed early because of injury also were counted. The eight 16-game segments totaled 128 starts; left out were the first eight starts of his career in 2008.

The decline in Rodgers’ statistics in the most recent 16-game segment is startling, if not shocking.

Start with passer rating. His 83.6 mark in the last 16 games doesn’t even begin to compare to his previous seven segments, which are listed here in reverse chronological order: 110.0, 105.5, 113.0, 110.9, 115.5, 98.6 and 98.5.
Now check out completion percentage. His mark of 56.8 percent in the last 16 games was preceded by 65.1, 66.5, 66.9, 66.6, 69.2, 65.2 and 63.3.

Look at yards per attempt. His mark of 6.04 in the last 16 games was preceded by averages of 8.20, 8.20, 8.36, 8.25, 8.77, 7.96 and 8.07.

His passing yards (3,677) and touchdowns (29) in the last 16 games were the lowest of the eight segments, and his interception total of 10 was his highest since the first two segments of his career.

It’s almost as if an imposter has been wearing the No. 12 jersey since that night in Denver.

At the risk of statistical overload, allow me one more set of metrics to underscore the depths of Rodgers’ struggles as the face of this offense and this franchise.
Situational football dominates analysis of the game. Whether it’s third down, red zone, short-yardage or goal-line, it’s all important."

More in article. Informative read, with some good statistical breakdowns. Written before the clunker the Packers layed against the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Monster

Liked Posts:
He will be his HOF self in 3 days.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Still better than Cutler and Hoyer.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While Rodgers is an excellent QB...he also has been the luckiest one in the league. His fumbles that were usually covered by a teammate are suddenly being picked up by the other team, his deflected passes instead of hitting the turf are now hitting the hands of defenders. Things like that always have a way of balancing out over time.

This holds true only when the Packers are not playing the Bears.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Seriously though, are we witnessing the decline of an "elite" QB? Or just an extended slump?

He's been worse than pedestrian of late. It's puzzling, though I'm not complaining.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
People in Wisconsin have been saying this for a while now. And some are wondering why more aren't more critical. And today 95% of game recaps on radio stations has been what's wrong with Aaron.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
People in Wisconsin have been saying this for a while now. And some are wondering why more aren't more critical. And today 95% of game recaps on radio stations has been what's wrong with Aaron.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U

It's hard to criticize former MVPs and super bowl winners.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
It's so bizarre to see Rodgers playing this bad. I thought the way he played against the Bears on Thanksgiving last year was just an anomaly but apparently that's the way Rodgers has been playing since the middle of last season.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
whatever ails you as a team will disappear when facing the bears

he will get right back on track

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
New OC when problems begun. Shit I should have kept this one to myself. Changing OC's don't matter. It's the QB. Nothing to see here.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
New OC when problems begun. Shit I should have kept this one to myself. Changing OC's don't matter. It's the QB. Nothing to see here.

Agreed, but McCarthy went back to calling plays and the problems still persist. Doesn't add up.