Watching WS outside Wrigley

ARcubfan21

Liked Posts:
I'm planning on coming to Chicago from Arkansas later this week to soak up the atmosphere during the Series, could anyone tell me if there will be any public viewing sites set up outside Wrigley to watch the games? Or will watching it be pretty restricted to having a seat inside restaurants/bars etc.? Anything special I need to know coming in? Thanks! Go Cubbies!!

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Hey just got a speed ticket in Arkansas coming back from New Mexico, anyway do not know of any public viewing and I hear the bars were charging $100 cover charge, not sure if true. they say 300,000 people were celebrating around Wrigley. have fun.

Jason FechnerVerified account ‏@jasonfechner 22h22 hours ago Indianapolis, IN

My brother just said the cover charge at The Cubby Bear across from #Wrigley is... $100. And there's a line to get in. �� #Cubs #FlyTheW

ARcubfan21

Liked Posts:
Hey just got a speed ticket in Arkansas coming back from New Mexico, anyway do not know of any public viewing and I hear the bars were charging $100 cover charge, not sure if true. they say 300,000 people were celebrating around Wrigley. have fun.

Jason FechnerVerified account ‏@jasonfechner 22h22 hours ago Indianapolis, IN

My brother just said the cover charge at The Cubby Bear across from #Wrigley is... $100. And there's a line to get in. �� #Cubs #FlyTheW

Dammit. Well, maybe I won't be coming.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I told the wife in April that if the Cubs go to the World Series I was buying tickets. She said, 'You should, I am all for it.'

She saw the ticket prices. That permission was pulled immediately. It didn't matter, I saw the same prices too.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Well. Maybe it won't be worth it to go. :(

That's just one bar, man. I don't think that'll be the case everywhere.

I don't know if they do any formal viewing outside the stadium ... there may not be enough room in that neighborhood to put a screen where enough people could see it. But I don't think it'd be a bad idea to head up there for one of the games. The atmosphere would have to be incredible.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a bar right next to the field. No way they all pull that crap. That being said most of them in a 20 block radius will be pretty packed. I'd say get there early in the day to grab a seat and buckle down for the long haul. I'll hit my sis up and see what she's been hearing. She lives close by Wrigley.

Edit:

Ok. Just hit her up. Man was I wrong. She said she called a bar 3 blocks from the field for reservations and they said it was a minimum $400 bar tab. Sounds like the bars farther away have covers and the ones closer have minimum bar tabs.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's a bar right next to the field. No way they all pull that crap. That being said most of them in a 20 block radius will be pretty packed. I'd say get there early in the day to grab a seat and buckle down for the long haul. I'll hit my sis up and see what she's been hearing. She lives close by Wrigley.

Edit:

Ok. Just hit her up. Man was I wrong. She said she called a bar 3 blocks from the field for reservations and they said it was a minimum $400 bar tab. Sounds like the bars farther away have covers and the ones closer have minimum bar tabs.

Holy Hell. I should use up my PTO for the rest of the year and pick up a bar tending gig at one of the bars. I bet there will be some serious cash to make in tips.

ARcubfan21

Liked Posts:
The wife called the cubby bear and Murphy's, and both said there's no cover, just get there several hours early. Hope that doesn't turn out to be BS. We're going!!

ARcubfan21

Liked Posts:
I don't know what to think. Hebs, really? I sure %#@&ing hope I don't get there and all the bars are like, "yeah, you're gonna have to spend $500 to watch the game here."

ARcubfan21

Liked Posts:
Not sure what to think though with others hearing different in here. We talked directly to employees at the bars tho. Man, idk.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Holy Hell. I should use up my PTO for the rest of the year and pick up a bar tending gig at one of the bars. I bet there will be some serious cash to make in tips.

And I bet the regular bartenders wont want to work. ?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure what to think though with others hearing different in here. We talked directly to employees at the bars tho. Man, idk.

The one my sister and her bf go to is about 8 blocks out from Wrigley and she said for the last game it was standing room only but no cover. She said they will go back to that one since they know everyone there. She's not quite sure how they will charge this week. Idk how many bars she called, just that the one they tried to get reservations at had a minimum $400 tab requirement. It just sounds spotty for how much places will gouge you for. I'm sure you guys will find something. Just get there kinda early and expect to spend a good amount on food and booze.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know what to think. Hebs, really? I sure %#@&ing hope I don't get there and all the bars are like, "yeah, you're gonna have to spend $500 to watch the game here."

When are you guys getting up there? Friday or Saturday?

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah to rich for my blood, I was going to get a ticket but, minimum was standing room at 2,200 per. I'll sit at home and watch it on my HD TV and take a day off from work instead.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure why anyone would spend that much by Wrigley. I get it if you want to be a part of the atmosphere by the stadium, but there are literally thousands of cheaper options in the City, and you can watch the game, have good food a few neighborhoods over, then if the game is in hand, hit the CTA by the 7th/8th and head to ground zero to soak in the possible celebration.

I was at the Prior game in 2003 when they won against Atlanta, and the scene after the game was insane.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:

Edit:

You've got the be kidding me!! A $400 bar tab?!!! Who runs up that kind of tab? Why can't you just go and nurse a few beers and then bounce when you feel like it? I wouldn't pay $400 to sit in a bar and watch the Cubs. There are probably 200 bars on Clark and Addison and the surrounding areas. I paid $20 for me and my GF before game 1 of the NLDS for a BS cover charge. I didn't spend anything once in there because I had tickets to the game. I also have tickets to games 4 and 5 and my family has come out of the woodwork to come to Chicago to see the Cubs. Its a pretty awesome atmosphere but if you don't have a lot of cash just hang out outside the park. The place is a really nice neighborhood and you can be in the atmosphere of Wrigley without spending a dime.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Stop at a liquor store and get a fifth. Taco Bell is right there next to wrigley get yourself a large pop and stand outside the draft kings lounge and you should be able to see the game from there.

Total cost: $15-$20.