Flying over from London

LondonCub

Liked Posts:
Hello Cubs fans from the Uk
8 years ago I moved to Rockford for the summer. I did the same for 09 and parts of 2010. I lived with a family crazy for the Cubs and I was lucky enough to share a season ticket. I have been obsessed with baseball ever since and fell in love with Wrigley field. I don't know how but I'm 13-0 there, I've only ever seen the W flying, and that's seeing some games in 2009 and 10!

ive always subscribed to MLB tv. Cubs have been a great team to watch because of the amount of day games they play, which start in the uk at about 7pm. The post season games have meant I start watching at 1pm and then go to work as a teacher at about 6am. One San Fran game was still going on when I drove to school! The kids haven't suffered too much, mostly because the games have been so outstanding that I've been buzzing all day.

I'm on the verge of giving up trying to save for a deposit on a house and putting it into going to a World Series game. The cheapest option is to fly out to Cleveland and watch game two, then get a mega bus to Chicago the next day and hang around wrigley for games three and four.

Do you think it will be worth it going to wrigleyville? Will I get into bars or will I need to buy tickets or book etc? Is it great just being around the ground? Flights will be about 1400 dollars. To be honest, with the amount of failure that surrounds my English sports teams, I have saved that up easily by not seeing them in any final!

Also, do you think there will be people selling tickets on the Friday at wrigley? If so, how much do you think the cheapest will go for?

I'm normally quite reserved and level headed but this team has me thinking with my heart, and this is a once in two lifetimes opportunity.

Hopefully see some of you out and about next weekend!

Russell

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Rockford is a crazy town ,and so are you lol ,it will probably be cold out ,I hear of $50-$100 cover charges at Wrigleyville bars. A few place around Wrigley field sell tickets legally and the price will drop close to game time if any are left. I would use stubhub , they quit selling six hours before game time.

Go Cubs !

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty cool you're willing to do all that.

Hard to say on ticket prices for Friday's game......I'm guessing even with scalpers on gameday, nobody is getting in for under $1000

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's great seeing fans from all over the world!

As excited as we all are about them being in the WS... I wouldn't blow my "down payment for a house" wad on a single experience. (Then again, I guess it depends on how long it took you to save that much and how long it will take to save again.)

Ok... with the voice of reason out of the way... If you do go, it will be electric almost anywhere you go. My sister lives 7 blocks from Wrigley and she said the whole neighborhood was going nuts during and after this last game. Good luck getting in the game though without spending an arm and a leg!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Tickets for standing room are $2000 IIRC

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Crazy. I still can't believe I pad $76 for two tickets for G1 2005 WS and could not snipe ticket sites whatsoever to get in this year.

Good news though, if you want to shout with passer-byers on Clark, it will only cost you a poke and a rib.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You could save a few £££ by staying in Englewood. They have some great rates on cheap rooms.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I guess ticket heap has tickets in Cleveland for 1100 for an actual seat for the first two games since there is no clinch markup. Cub standing room that are left start at 2000. I am sure there are some ticket holders that will decide they can either be in their seats or put their kid thru college for a year and sell tickets day of at a big enough price that they would just turn them over or happily go to the game.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Crazy. I still can't believe I pad $76 for two tickets for G1 2005 WS and could not snipe ticket sites whatsoever to get in this year.

Good news though, if you want to shout with passer-byers on Clark, it will only cost you a poke and a rib.

Amazing. I know a guy that paid $500 for Gm2 after the first four innings went by. You got a great deal.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Amazing. I know a guy that paid $500 for Gm2 after the first four innings went by. You got a great deal.

Box office price. I stayed up and sniped tickets at 3AM when they went on sale. Games and 2 combined sold out in 6 minutes IIRC. Plus, MLB had a general admission policy for online purchases. While it still exists to some extent, the resellers have the system gamed hardcore now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Box office price. I stayed up and sniped tickets at 3AM when they went on sale. Games and 2 combined sold out in 6 minutes IIRC. Plus, MLB had a general admission policy for online purchases. While it still exists to some extent, the resellers have the system gamed hardcore now.

you were out of the country at that time?

LondonCub

Liked Posts:
The flights to Cleveland are the same price, so I'm thinking of buying a ticket for game two, getting a mega bus to Chicago for thirty dollars at 2am. Get in to Chicago at about 9am, meet up with friends and party at wrigley over the weekend. Luckily I won't have to pay for any accommodation, as I can sofa surf all over town.

Ticket prices in Cleveland are dropping everyday. Still 700 dollars cheapest though, but I'm saving that on accommodation.

Just thinking, where would I put my luggage in Cleveland, they're not going to let me in with a large bag! British accents don't seem to charm anymore either!!!

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
you were out of the country at that time?

Nope. I got off from a gig, rushed home and like thousands of other fans, refreshed the site until purchases for non-stix holders were possible. Weekend games, and the unplayed games were sold out in something like 20 minutes. I didn't sleep that night. Frick, also hard to believe that was already 11 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Now this World Series. I'd love to know how anyone got direct tickets without stix loyalty. I setup a snipe strategy and failed miserably.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Nope. I got off from a gig, rushed home and like thousands of other fans, refreshed the site until purchases for non-stix holders were possible. Weekend games, and the unplayed games were sold out in something like 20 minutes. I didn't sleep that night. Frick, also hard to believe that was already 11 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Now this World Series. I'd love to know how anyone got direct tickets without stix loyalty. I setup a snipe strategy and failed miserably.

That must have been a very limited second round of tickets. The initial round was done at 12 PM which is why I asked you about being out of town. The tickets sold out in 11 minutes IIRC.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The flights to Cleveland are the same price, so I'm thinking of buying a ticket for game two, getting a mega bus to Chicago for thirty dollars at 2am. Get in to Chicago at about 9am, meet up with friends and party at wrigley over the weekend. Luckily I won't have to pay for any accommodation, as I can sofa surf all over town.

Ticket prices in Cleveland are dropping everyday. Still 700 dollars cheapest though, but I'm saving that on accommodation.

Just thinking, where would I put my luggage in Cleveland, they're not going to let me in with a large bag! British accents don't seem to charm anymore either!!!

look up public lockers. There may be luggage lockers at the airport, more likely subway or train station, or something like that. Or look up the cost of a travel Club with a clevaland location, maybe one has a free trial period.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That must have been a very limited second round of tickets. The initial round was done at 12 PM which is why I asked you about being out of town. The tickets sold out in 11 minutes IIRC.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/new...ent_id=1253909&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

18 minutes.

It's possible that it was around midnight. In 2005, I was getting home around 2-3AM from work every night back then. Maybe I pulled some sneaky business and got home much earlier. I'll give you that as a possibility because I frankly don't remember exactly. But as far as the ordering, the setup, I remember that, the holds, the site errors, and how affordable the tickets were.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/new...ent_id=1253909&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

18 minutes.

It's possible that it was around midnight. In 2005, I was getting home around 2-3AM from work every night back then. Maybe I pulled some sneaky business and got home much earlier. I'll give you that as a possibility because I frankly don't remember exactly. But as far as the ordering, the setup, I remember that, the holds, the site errors, and how affordable the tickets were.
:)

That's why I asked if you were out of the country. The sale went on at 12 PM CST. But no matters, it was a fast sell out with the issues you and I both speak of in trying to get tickets.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Bars are charging $100-200 cover that night. Best bet is to get to Wrigley early and sit in a damn seat at a bar that's not as popular and watch football all day.