My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
There has been talk all year about Baez becoming an everyday player. Based on his shitty hitting and horrible plate disciplne lately it's obvious he isnt ready for prime time and should retain his role as a multi-position sub

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You should let FirstTimer know that.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Baez is the best defensive 2B in the game. He's a glove glover - not a bench guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There has been talk all year about Baez becoming an everyday player. Based on his shitty hitting and horrible plate disciplne lately it's obvious he isnt ready for prime time and should retain his role as a multi-position sub
You forget who pretty much carried them the last series?
Baez has come a long way from where he was 2 years ago
He will be their starter next year..

Also..
I'm sure you've seen plenty of good hitters over the years put up 0fers in playoff..
Hell, I still have memories of Dawson and Sandburg shittn the bed in 89

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One day he may be the best, but not now.

Any opinion you post is disqualified due to all of the moronic statements you made throughout the season that qualify you as the Cubs forum idiot.

One of Eggpanties many dumbfuck posts..."Cubs have morphed into one of the worst teams in baseball. Not a chance in hell they would win a single playoff game."

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

Also..
I'm sure you've seen plenty of good hitters over the years put up 0fers in playoff..

Going 0 fer is not the issue. The problem is that he is a total swing from the heels hitter and anytime he makes contact it's total accident. He may be the most undisciplined hitter in the MLB. If it's the last inning of the WS and the game is tied the Cubs would have a better shot pinch hitting for him

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Going 0 fer is not the issue. The problem is that he is a total swing from the heels hitter and anytime he makes contact it's total accident. He may be the most undisciplined hitter in the MLB. If it's the last inning of the WS and the game is tied the Cubs would have a better shot pinch hitting for him
Sure he has his bad habit but that just him being young and over aggressive..
I'll bet the mortgage that he improves next year and even more So as he gets more experience and matures as a ball player..

As far as your scenario goes, no I wouldn't count on him now and especially if you had a better option in that situation.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
"In the Dirt Baez" just did it again. Must be the 20th time this postseason he has struck out on a ball in the dirt

greg23

Liked Posts:

Also..

Great analysis

Sandberg really sucked in 89

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
He should be a full timer.

He'll have a whole off season and then spring to work on some things. His glove is as legit as it gets.

Maybe getting a full season of consistent ABs will help as well.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He should be a full timer.

He'll have a whole off season and then spring to work on some things. His glove is as legit as it gets.

Maybe getting a full season of consistent ABs will help as well.
Or the Doctors give him the Low Ball Lobotomy

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's going to be a lot to figure out with the outfielders and Baez/Zobrist next season.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
There's going to be a lot to figure out with the outfielders and Baez/Zobrist next season.
no shit.

if Baez continues to develop at the plate he starts EVERY game at 2B so that means Zobrist doesn't have a position in the infield.

Schwarber is healthy and you want his bat in the lineup pretty much every game...

the RF struggling at the plate is one of the best in the game defensively and makes HUGE money on an 8 year deal...

if Fowler leaves do you platoon Almora and Heyward in CF (even though he makes that much money)?

tough decisions... if only Schwarber could be an every day catcher.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Baez will be the starter next year.

They will work with him and Russell in the offseason to hopefully improve plate discipline and learn how to pick up pitches. he will be all of 24 next year.

Free swinging is a feature of most new guys coming up. If, and I mean if, he learns to be a hitter then the sky is the limit. With his limitations he still hit 273. He needs to work on his OBP to be a better all around player but his defense is among the best in the league.

I'm not sure why you are so down on this kid. He carried us in the NLDS and we wouldn't be here at all if his bat hadn't come through. He is young, still raw at the plate and lacks discipline but his talent is without a doubt.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
You seem to operate on the assumption that young players don't improve. Also it's not accurate that he's solely a mistake hitter. He had stretches where his plate discipline was better and performed well in those stretches. My guess is Almora is the part time player next year with Heyward playing a lot of CF, and Zobrist playing a little less.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
they have really been clear on TV about this. NLCS MVP, two strikes, lost the leg kick, looked to right field. The world series both he and Addison with the big leg kicks again. He is guessing on strike 1 and thats all cleveland needs on him. I really thought that bunt would have started to lock him in.

Its a tough issue though, you can pay Heyward 184 million to be a defensive guy who needs to rework his swing 100% this winter, would even suggest winter ball, but a guy making 500K does not deserve it. That one or two days off a week is what kept Baez going, this is what happens when he plays every day.

The problem with next years lineup is Theo getting another center fielder, whether its Fowler or someone else. The focus needs to stay with Heyward in center, Almora in center for the lefty pitchers, and leaving that corner spot open for Bryant, Zobrist, Soler, Schwarber. People will bitch that Schwarber will catch next year, but you need to play the way that got this team to 112 wins so far, and that was some rest thru the year, and that will include Contrares and Baez.

Theo built the team that is set for the next 3-5 years. Then got 50 million to remain in charge where hopefully its just support pieces and a bullpen each year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
You may not like Heyward in CF. The few times he has played there this year he has taken poor route and he is way too concerned about running into the wall, like the time he flinched and he wasnt even on the warning track

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You may not like Heyward in CF. The few times he has played there this year he has taken poor route and he is way too concerned about running into the wall, like the time he flinched and he wasnt even on the warning track

Why rely on objective data when we can rely on selective, subjective, and faulty human memory?

Although it's a small sample size, Heyward has been fine in CF over his career. He's probably not a GG defender there, but he's still very good.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4940&position=OF#fieldingadvanced