FirstTimers Big Board of QB's

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd say the biggest problem with Cutler is not staring down receivers or not reading the field. It's that he throws with no anticipation. He has a bad habbit of waiting until the WR has made his cut to throw relying on his arm strength to make up for the fact he didn't throw in anticipation of the WRs cut.

Inevitably that leads to a lot of instances where guys were open but by the time Cutler decides to throw, the window is already closing.

To me that's the biggest thing you want to see in a QB and not what offense they play on or whether they can read the whole field. If you have a QB that can read whether a guy is going to separate when it comes out of his cut then the rest will follow because to be able to do that means you are deciding whether a guy is open or not earlier in the route which means you naturally have more time to switch to another WR if he isn't.

Guys like Brady can scan the field and make quick throws because they are judging whether a WR is open or not before they have even made their cut just by knowing the coverage, their WRs positioning, etc.

I agree and this has been Cutler's fault all of the time he has been their quarterback. It seems like he is often a split second slow in delivering the ball. For awhile I thought that it was because he didn't trust his receivers on their routes but he appears to do it with every receiver he has ever had. It is really frustrating to watch.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't disagree but it seems a year late and who knows how bad the bridges have been burned in Denver. Minn could still be possible if Teddy B cannot fully recover.

Oh yeah. Probably doesn't make sense now for either of those teams. Was just saying, teams with a good D and running game probably the best landing spots for him.

ditka4life

Liked Posts:
I'd say the biggest problem with Cutler is not staring down receivers or not reading the field. It's that he throws with no anticipation. He has a bad habbit of waiting until the WR has made his cut to throw relying on his arm strength to make up for the fact he didn't throw in anticipation of the WRs cut.

Inevitably that leads to a lot of instances where guys were open but by the time Cutler decides to throw, the window is already closing.

To me that's the biggest thing you want to see in a QB and not what offense they play on or whether they can read the whole field. If you have a QB that can read whether a guy is going to separate when it comes out of his cut then the rest will follow because to be able to do that means you are deciding whether a guy is open or not earlier in the route which means you naturally have more time to switch to another WR if he isn't.

Guys like Brady can scan the field and make quick throws because they are judging whether a WR is open or not before they have even made their cut just by knowing the coverage, their WRs positioning, etc.

Exactly, stop blaming the oline for Cutler's faults. Its the quick decision making that prevents sacks.
Brady and Hoyer were taught to read the defense (spygate) before the snap and know where the open man is
before the play even begins. The ball is thrown within 4 seconds.
Cutler is so lethargic and slow. Sure, he can throw a nice deep ball a couple of times per game,
but that's not enough to survive and win games.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I had to rank the QB options right now

1. Jimmy G, if it didn't cost the 3rd pick.

2a. Deshaun Watson
2b. Deshone Kizer
2c. Mitch Trubisky

3. Jimmy G, if it costs the 3rd with picks coming back to us.

4. A 2nd round QB

5. Mike Glennon

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I think Watson could be a good NFL QB, but I don't see him as anything special in the NFL. JT Barrett is definitely not an NFL QB.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:

2a. Deshaun Watson
2b. Deshone Kizer
2c. Mitch Trubisky

4. A 2nd round QB

5. Mike Glennon

Your logic has a little hole in it here. So you would be willing to trade a 3rd round pick for Jimmy G only if the Bears get back another pick presumably 3rd round in another draft or later pick in this draft. Yet you would be willing to draft a QB in the top of this draft and maybe pass on Jonathan Allen who would be a big boost to the pass rush. So it makes sense to you to pass on one of the surest picks on this draft Allen and also pass on Jimmy G at the same time only if a third round pick or later is part of the haul. You believe Watson or Kizer or Trubisky is worth a gamble over getting Jimmy G and a top DE in this draft if the Bears do not get a draft pick to replace the 3rd pick to trade for Jimmy G. Thats some pretty short sighted horse trading IMHO.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
He's saying the 3rd overall pick in the draft, assuming that's right around where they'll be picking.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's saying the 3rd overall pick in the draft, assuming that's right around where they'll be picking.

Thank you.

If I do not love the QBs I would entertain trading the 3rd pick for Jimmy G something like.

3rd pick

For

Jimmy G
30th pick
4th round pick

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Thank you.

If I do not love the QBs I would entertain trading the 3rd pick for Jimmy G something like.

3rd pick

For

Jimmy G
30th pick
4th round pick

i stand corrected. I dont think I would make this trade if Jonathan Allen is on the board.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As part of the Bill Polian interview on ESPN 1000 he made a pretty compelling argument about trading for Jimmy G.

He said you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, QB of the present and future, you have a talented guy who has been tutored and prepare by the best.

If we could get Jimmy and keep the 3rd round pick for an impact defender that may be the best case scenario.

If the Bears offer 2(35), 4th and 2(2018) that values Jimmy as the 18th pick in the draft, which would be about where Philly's pick that the Browns have would be.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

2a. Deshaun Watson
2b. Deshone Kizer
2c. Mitch Trubisky

4. A 2nd round QB

5. Mike Glennon

Doesn't sound like the Pats will trade JG or that it would take at least that 3rd pick. Hey, maybe we'll be in line for the 2nd after this week.

I like Trubisky at the top, Watson 2nd and Kizer 3rd at this point with a couple of other prospects not that far of Kizer. I suspect he'll go later in one and can be had with a trade up of our 2 and a couple guys are viable with our 2 as well. I don't think this draft is as bad at the position as many. Kelly, Beathard and Webb seem viable. It's just that the top is thin. I like Trubisky more than most but he looks more intuitive and best guy from the pocket so easiest to transition to the Pro game. To me, Watson looks like he'll take a bit to become a pro but he's certainly got the tools. 3rd pick just seems a little high to me with a couple other dominant players available.

I wouldn't mind Glennon in the mix.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Depends on how good you think Jimmy can be.

This scenario wold be tempting: If the Bears offer 2(35), 4th and 2(2018) that values Jimmy as the 18th pick in the draft, which would be about where Philly's pick that the Browns have would be. I wanted Jimmy G when he was in the draft but is this trade the best use of resources maybe yes maybe no. It really depends on how scouts finally view the "2nd round QB's" in this draft compared to Jimmy G. For example I liked Derek Carr and Mahomes has been compared to Carr. All the QB's I liked had good intangibles and were accurate passers. If Barkley plays well these next few games I would lean toward a trio of Barkley and an experienced QB like Hoyer signed to compete for the starting job. Then draft the "best" QB on the board with the Bears second pick. There is no obvious answer to the Bears QB solution but as important as that is also acquiring a game changing pass rusher needs to be given every possible chance to be shoehorned into the Bears off season if at all possible while also making smart choice and or choices for the Bears QB needs current and future.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You never know about a NE smokescreen but rumor is that NE really likes JG and wouldn't consider less than a couple ones. An early one has a similar value but other than maybe our #3, I don't think it happens and I personally don't feel good enough about Garoppolo for that.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
You never know about a NE smokescreen but rumor is that NE really likes JG and wouldn't consider less than a couple ones. An early one has a similar value but other than maybe our #3, I don't think it happens and I personally don't feel good enough about Garoppolo for that.

You just know Belichick is going to squeeze until it really hurts before he even gets serious about a trade. I dont feel good about expecting to make a reasonably reasonable trade for Jimmy with the Pats.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Schefter on ESPN 1000 was discussing that the Patriots reputation of squeezing people in trades is not ready true.

He said that in most of the trades where they send players out they get reasonable returns. Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins you could argue they got ripped off.

Where they make their money in trades is by buying other people's players low.

He said he expects the Patriots to set a value on Jimmy and to then trade him to the best spot, which would be the NFC.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
teams occasionally running plays that result in reading only half the field is far different than college qbs only being able to read half the field. plain and simple... if a qb cant stand back in the pocket and go though a number of reads, fuck him. i want them to draft the most pro ready prospect possible, as long as he has the talent worthy of the pick. but if all thats available are typical college passers id actually be ok with them passing. of course if they took one id try to be optimistic simply do to the fact that we finally have a shot at a franchise qb, but i rather not have to hope that he can adjust, because chances are he cant.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I agree and this has been Cutler's fault all of the time he has been their quarterback. It seems like he is often a split second slow in delivering the ball. For awhile I thought that it was because he didn't trust his receivers on their routes but he appears to do it with every receiver he has ever had. It is really frustrating to watch.

If after practicing week n and out with da wr's...... jay still doesn't trust them then there's a huge problem. What gets me is they almost never look in sync game day.
YES ...... It is really frustrating to watch, especially with how much these guys are paid

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think Watson could be a good NFL QB, but I don't see him as anything special in the NFL. JT Barrett is definitely not an NFL QB.

Why to both statements. What makes these guys "not NFL Qb's or not special" VS. the many garbage Qb's already in the NFL. Yes....I have a list ready with all the b.s. Qb's in the NFL right now.....starting with Case Keenum who's total b,s, with the Rams.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am done over thinking Deshaun Watson.

The guy is a play maker, doesn't matter if he is getting hit, his defense doesn't show up, he just keeps coming back and making plays and making throws.

The #2 team in the country lives and dies on their QB, that tells me a lot about him.