ESPN Forte Article

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Believe his point is quite simply you won't see Forte as a future hall of famer if you remove the homer glasses.
Oh I get the point. Slight subtle sarcasm was my response.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I knew then what I know now.....I would still let Forte walk....

MontanaBear

Liked Posts:
Calling Howard slow is wrong. He just doesn't have the stamina to break 90 yarders. I couldn't care less about that with the way he finishes runs.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Howard is a good back but he is slow. He has no speed.

Nov. 9th

Thanks to NFL's Next-Gen Stats, we can provide the answer. According to NFL.com, here are the 10 fastest ballcarriers so far this season:

22.50 mph, Stefon Diggs
22.34 mph, Mike Wallace
22.25 mph, Marquise Goodwin
22.25 mph, Tevin Coleman
22.23 mph, Johnny Holton
22.17 mph, Travis Benjamin
22.03 mph, Jordan Howard
21.97 mph, Isaiah Crowell
21.50 mph, Ezekiel Elliott
21.46 mph, Mike Gillislee

http://www.stack.com/a/which-nfl-pl...-so-far-in-2016-the-answer-might-surprise-you

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Nov. 9th

Thanks to NFL's Next-Gen Stats, we can provide the answer. According to NFL.com, here are the 10 fastest ballcarriers so far this season:

22.50 mph, Stefon Diggs
22.34 mph, Mike Wallace
22.25 mph, Tevin Coleman
22.23 mph, Johnny Holton
22.03 mph, Jordan Howard

http://www.stack.com/a/which-nfl-pl...-so-far-in-2016-the-answer-might-surprise-you

Yeah, but can they dance?

295321525b668dd579df1af46b512c80.gif

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard is also #2 in the league in yards after contact per rush. No need to question his speed or power.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rushing | Receiving | Touches
............G Att Yds TD Y/A Lng |Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng |Att Yds Y/A
Forte - 131 2237 9361 52 4.2 68 |513 4318 20 8.4 89 |2750 13679 4.97
Peterson - 122 2412 11725 97 4.9 82 |240 1944 5 8.1 63 |2652 13669 5.15

Was bored so I went to compare Forte's numbers to Peterson's numbers. Forte is the top and Peterson is the bottom. Overall if you add in the receiving, Peterson only averaged about .18 yards more than Forte per touch. I'd take that type of production for another 10 years. Hopefully Howard can provide us the same type of output.

So looking ahead, are both Peterson and Forte HOF worthy, only Peterson?
On that basis, Josh Bellamy, Eddie Royal and basically any WR is twice as good as either of them on combined touches.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Nov. 9th

22.50 mph, Stefon Diggs
22.34 mph, Mike Wallace
22.25 mph, Tevin Coleman
22.23 mph, Johnny Holton
22.03 mph, Jordan Howard

some fuckass here will squabble over a .47 mph differential and still say he's slow, I'm sure.

how many teams in the league possess these so-called "dual threats" btw?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're right and if I wasn't a bears fan i wouldn't be here. Point?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That Forte isn't in the class of player Petersen is and he isn't a HOF'er

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Payton
2. Sayers
3. Forte
4. Anderson
5. Thomas Jones?

I think Forte ends up over Anderson because of career longevity. Also I couldn't think of anyone else for No. 5 so that's why I went with TJ. I'm not too familiar with the careers of guys like Nagurski, Gallimore, Casares, Feathers, etc. so I wouldn't know how they compare and at the moment I'm too busy to look into it.

I'd put Casares over Forte and Anderson. Tough to make the era difference but when Casares retired I think he was like the 3rd or 4th all time leading rusher in NFL history. He was a tremendous player.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
For a time Nagurski was regarded as the best player in the league regardless of position. Gallimore was more of a spot player, and Feathers didn't have any longevity. Casares was probably most like Forte...a reliable workhorse. Here would be my list

1) Payton
2) Nagurski
3) Sayers
4) Forte
5) Casares

Left off is George McAfee, a Bears RB from the 1940's who somehow made the HOF.

[video=youtube;3oPX8RO6rik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oPX8RO6rik[/video]

Nagurksi is always a tough rank because it's difficult to separate what he did as a FB/RB from what he did all around as a player in those days. I could see putting him 2nd as you did ahead of Sayers it's just so difficult to rank that era and keep one position in mind.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
some fuckass here will squabble over a .47 mph differential and still say he's slow, I'm sure.

how many teams in the league possess these so-called "dual threats" btw?

Who gives a shit about his "top end" speed? Obviously he is slow to get to that top end speed. Any jackass watching a game can see it. Are you telling me he's faster than Zeke now? LOLO. The dude is OK. But it's all about burst and he clearly doesn't have that elite burst like a Zeke....

Sheesh.... Enjoy your little next gen stats dorks!

#imafuckasswhostrollingforlols

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Back to another point Matt Forte is not a HOF'er(by traditional ballot means). I could see him being a ripe senior committee candidate at some point down the line but comparing him to Petersen is kind of absurd...ok, it's really absurd.

Petersen has been the best back in the NFL since he stepped on the field. He's lead the NFL in rushing, rushing TD's, rushing YPG, total yards from scrimmage, and rushing/receiving TD's.

Forte has never lead the league in any category and while he was a reliable compiler and very good all around back he's just not at that level. We've had this discussion before around here at length and his resume just doesn't hold up to guys like AP.

AP has 97 rushing TD's. Forte has somewhere around 70 total TD's. Petersen is just a more valuable player.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Having Forte and Howard rotate in our backfield this year might have resulted in a couple extra wins, but it would not have made us a playoff team.
However, if we would have signed him for two years, he could have been the glue to help a rookie or gap type QB next year. I wanted Forte back, and the fact that they did not even leave the door open to possibly match any offer.

Where Bennett and Marshall where supposed to be locker room problems, it was never indicated that Forte was anything other than a team player.

I know hard decision need to be made, but Pace/Fox have sent away the best talent this team has had on the offensive side of the ball in decades. Marshall, Bennett, Forte and Slauson along with the improved talent on the D could have finally come together this year.

Cutler had all of his weapons taken away and was exposed, so even if the Bears wanted him back next year, I'm not sure he would be encouraged to return.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Who gives a shit about his "top end" speed? Obviously he is slow to get to that top end speed. Any jackass watching a game can see it. Are you telling me he's faster than Zeke now? LOLO. The dude is OK. But it's all about burst and he clearly doesn't have that elite burst like a Zeke....

Sheesh.... Enjoy your little next gen stats dorks!

#imafuckasswhostrollingforlols

If Zeke ever learns the patience to let his blocks setup, he could have a long, record breaking HoF career.
Unlike Forte. Best thing Forte did was be graced by being the best receiver on an annually receiver depleted team and keep the scrubs Angelo signed at bay by staying healthy.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think a good modern day comparison to Forte is Curtis Martin......he was an iron man in that he didn't miss games very often and he was somewhat of a dual threat. Forte has put more yards in catching passes than running in comparison and that is important......

Running Backs are not lauded in the hall of fame for being a dump off option...they are heralded for running.

Martin, currently, has played two more years than Forte and has nearly twice as many rushing TDs. Averages more than 10 yards more rushing per game.

If Forte had produced more on the ground than in the air you may be able to make a case, but looking at his rushing yards as the main indicator....no.

Also, if Forte was part of some playoff teams and had good performances in the playoffs you could also make the potential case, but nothing there either.....

Forte will have to be in the Hall of the Very Good

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Scrubs in retrospect, but at the time Angelo was pouring relatively big money into that #2RB spot...Chester Taylor, Michael Bush, Marion Barber. All those guys were supposed to 'spell' Forte and also be the effective short-yardage back, yet they all had worse short-yardage success rates than Forte.

Kevin Jones

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Forte closing in on 10,000 rushing and 5,000 yards receiving - that's some rare air. Only 11 backs in NFL history have over 5,000 yards receiving. If he were to break the 15,000 total yards mark (which he should next year), he would be one of 20 players to do that. If he were to have 2-3 more years at a reasonably productive pace, he could really establish himself among the most productive players of all time.

16,300 would get him into the Top 10 in yards all time, and that is definitely reachable for him.