Dan Pompei: Does Matt Barkley have what it takes to make it in the NFL?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I wonder if that "longtime defensive coach" referenced in the story is Vic Fangio or some other Bears assistant.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
kyle orton used to start for us......good times for bathroom breaks when offense was on the field

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
IMO the Athletic is worth every penny. Here are more quotes from the article. I have been saying Barkley has a genuine shot at starting for the Bears since his second start this season.

I started a (Barkley is the answer thread after his second start). They changed the name of the thread to protect me from CCS terrorists.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
IMO the Athletic is worth every penny. Here are more quotes from the article. I have been saying Barkley has a genuine shot at starting for the Bears since his second start this season.

I started a (Barkley is the answer thread after his second start). They changed the name of the thread to protect me from CCS terrorists.

Apologies for not clarifying I meant next season.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The guy has enough arm and he's not afraid out there. I think he still needs some work on mechanics. It's really difficult to judge whether you want to put all of the eggs in that basket. I think there are a few teams who might throw money at him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Was listening to Durkin on ESPN 1000 and he made an interesting point.

He said that he would be surprised if the Bears did not draft a QB really high. He said that jobs will be defined and lost by the QB position, especially coming off of the Cutler era and everyone sensitivity about the QB position.

He said they will want options and as much talent as possible at the QB position so they can point to the future.

His main point was as much as Barkley has played well there is no way you can bet your job on 6 games by Barkley.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

He said that he would be surprised if the Bears did not draft a QB really high. He said that jobs will be defined and lost by the QB position, especially coming off of the Cutler era and everyone sensitivity about the QB position.

He said they will want options and as much talent as possible at the QB position so they can point to the future.

His main point was as much as Barkley has played well there is no way you can bet your job on 6 games by Barkley.

Exactly. Drafting a talented QB prospect high not only brings hope to the franchise but it buys Pace time. Taking 9 wins and Matt Barkley into your third season as a GM is asking to be fired.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My fear is the Bears will let him walk to a team that offers him a bigger contract, then turns out to be a very good QB. If that happens, it will be a big strike against Pace. Better hope his draft pick ends up being a better QB.

I think the appreciation between the Bear and Barkley will be mutual. He's also obviously found a system that fits and allows, even encourages him to be himself.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Any player can develop into a starter, that isnt the question to me. I am more concerned if that is the guy that can bring home the Lombardi trophy.

Looking at Barkley, we see that he is a competitor and has the arm to make all the throws. The test for him next year is if he can be a better decision-maker, and if he can improve his accuracy on longer throws. He has earned the right to compete for the starting spot next year, but it would be foolish to not draft a QB with an eye on the future.
I think, he could make it but 'all the throws' is relative.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the appreciation between the Bear and Barkley will be mutual. He's also obviously found a system that fits and allows and even encourages him to be himself.

I agree why would he want to leave the only place he has had success and built some confidence.

Pay him a reasonable salary for a QB competing to start and tell him to battle with a high draft pick.

Give him 2 years 10 million and a big per start bonus.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Drafting a talented QB prospect high not only brings hope to the franchise but it buys Pace time. Taking 9 wins and Matt Barkley into your third season as a GM is asking to be fired.

That is the premise of what he was saying.

In week 4 of the 2017 season you can't go to bench Barkley and have nothing behind him like this season. 4-6 wins and no real future at QB would be devastating to this regime.

He said if Barkley plays well you have your QB and a potential valuable trade chip.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
That is the premise of what he was saying.

In week 4 of the 2017 season you can't go to bench Barkley and have nothing behind him like this season. 4-6 wins and no real future at QB would be devastating to this regime.

He said if Barkley plays well you have your QB and a potential valuable trade chip.

Exactly. If you like a guy at 4 but Barkley plays his way into a starting role, I'd bet you could easily recoup a decent first, and if loosing 10 spots in the draft is the risk then so be it.

My only problem with this is I am not sure there will be a QB worth taking at 4. If we had a good OC that develops QBs maybe, but who would pay a premium for Kizer developed by loggains for a year or two.

This is why I am on board with a Mike McCoy hire at OC and let him know if he can turn around the offense that it is a straight shot back to HC. I would love a Jim Bob Cooter or Shanny but they will likely get current HC offers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Just his opinion but one I agree with. We're also not winning the SB next year so Barkley, Shaw and Pick duking it out appeals to me. I don't want any more 1 yr rentals until we're in a position to challenge for a ring. In contention for a playoff spot next year with a young team would have me ecstatic.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If the Bears end up in that second bracket of talent that starts around the 5-7th pic, I would neither be surprised by a trade down nor be disappointed in one. That is assuming Pace could get, say, a mid 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The 6th for the 16th, 48th, and 80th are near identical values. If the QB values remain low, snagging one in the mid first, along with 4 more picks in the top 80 , with Pace's success with early mid round picks, that could go a long way to energizing this franchise.

Kizer QB
Tankersley CB Clemson
Maye S Florida
Leggett TE Clemson
Quincy Wilson CB Florida

That would be a strong first 3 rounds

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the Bears end up in that second bracket of talent that starts around the 5-7th pic, I would neither be surprised by a trade down nor be disappointed in one. That is assuming Pace could get, say, a mid 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The 6th for the 16th, 48th, and 80th are near identical values. If the QB values remain low, snagging one in the mid first, along with 4 more picks in the top 80 , with Pace's success with early mid round picks, that could go a long way to energizing this franchise.

Kizer QB
Tankersley CB Clemson
Maye S Florida
Leggett TE Clemson
Quincy Wilson CB Florida

That would be a strong first 3 rounds

I'm with you but I think if he wanted Kizer or Trubisky and he was there outside the top 5, he'd just push the easy button. Of course he may not value Kizer that much and do exactly as you suggest and maneuver for a different QB later. We don't know if Falk or Rudolf are coming out yet and even guys like Kelly, Beathard and Peterman are not bad 2nd day prospects. Watson is a wild card for me. I don't have a very good feel for where he'll go right now.