What happens when our FA/ rookie QB

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm sure people will be defending their player as long as possible(i still remember people sticking up for Bostic when it was clear he was not a worthy NFL LB). But with a rookie QB, bears fans should not be so quick to pile on him when he goes thru the inevitable rookie mistakes.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No whats idiotic is pretending Barkley is the reason you jumped ship. Barkley is only the most recent example of what happens every time with this fan base.
Fan based reserved optimism is all he deserved. The excuses on his early picks were silly and proved to be just that. I still like the way he played the game but you could see he wasn't physically capable of playing the game the way he wanted to. Anything he threw deep under a safety was at risk and you could see more picks coming if he continued to attempt those...as he did. If he learns his limits and plays within himself, he may be a fine backup and occasional starter/journeyman but that's his ceiling. He doesn't have that throw and you kind of need it to be a perennial starter.

I think we re-sign him but with the intent of a backup. My guess is that Shaw beats him out and he doesn't make final cuts.

As to the OP, I think a rookie gets lots of rope and FA, not so much depending on how established.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is your thesis statement that people will give up on the 3rd overall pick as quickly as they gave up on a former 4th round pick, twice cut and signed off a PR?

Chinese

Liked Posts:
If we had the patience with Cutlers 6 or 7 years here not sure why we cant do half of that for our next one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears have drafted 1 QB in the top 3 rounds in 14 years.

They have never in my lifetime drafted a QB in the top 10.

I am not sure anyone can assume how people will react to something that has never happened.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

I am not sure anyone can assume how people will react to something that has never happened.
The Rex and McNown cases aren't hard to judge it by

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What happens when our rookie QB has that horrible game or 2 or 4 that most young guys do. You guys jumped off the Barkley bandwagon after only his 6th start when he put a few stinkers together. So is that what will happen again? It takes a QB (young or not)about 20 games in a system to master said system. Will Bear fans give a rookie the time it takes? You did not with Barkley. This thread is NOT about Barkley and I only use him as a example because he is basically a rookie that you gave up on after only 6 games. So why will things be different with a different rookie? I just hope you guys will back whatever QB we end up with, more then just 6 games. I hope you will give him a full season or more before quitting on him. FA or drafted QB it will take 20 games to know what we have. I question if a young QB can be mentored and improved with such a harsh fan base trashing him daily. All pro athletes check around to see what is being said about them, none admit it. So how many games will the new guy get before you quit on him?

I can just go ahead and start some of the threads we'll be seeing if we have a rookie QB and he's not playing well now.

R.Pace needs to be fired
J.Fox needs to be fired
We should of picked ???
R.Pace 1 for 3 with 1st round picks
Ownership needs to sell the team
We need to bench ? and play ?

There's a small example of what we'll be seeing.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't see a QB prospect in this draft outside of Kaaya, that should even think about taking a snap for a full year, let alone worry over consecutive bad performances. Besides if the Bears do the right thing & take Kaaya in the third or later. If that happens the Bears will be getting a steal. I would have loved to have been able to see how Kaaya would have fared if more than just one of his teammates, had upside in something other than insurance sales.. The Kid had an even worse team around then he did in the season & yet lead Miami to an improvement in the W-L column while also being in another new offensive system. If Kaaya even had half of the talent that Watson or Kizer had. I believe that Kaaya is going to end up the best QB from this class, & I really hope he is a Bear after the draft.

If we get Kaaya in the 3rd or later it would definitely be a steal but if Kaaya is the guys Pace wants then he's either gonna need to take him at pick #36 or trade back into the middle of the 2nd round cause i don't see a team letting him get that far and think one of these teams that have an older vet QB on their team would take him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Did you forget about what message board you're on?? lol

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
What happens when our rookie QB has that horrible game or 2 or 4 that most young guys do. You guys jumped off the Barkley bandwagon after only his 6th start when he put a few stinkers together. So is that what will happen again? It takes a QB (young or not)about 20 games in a system to master said system. Will Bear fans give a rookie the time it takes? You did not with Barkley. This thread is NOT about Barkley and I only use him as a example because he is basically a rookie that you gave up on after only 6 games. So why will things be different with a different rookie? I just hope you guys will back whatever QB we end up with, more then just 6 games. I hope you will give him a full season or more before quitting on him. FA or drafted QB it will take 20 games to know what we have. I question if a young QB can be mentored and improved with such a harsh fan base trashing him daily. All pro athletes check around to see what is being said about them, none admit it. So how many games will the new guy get before you quit on him?

Let's correct some of your kiddie-like claims:

Fiction: "You guys jumped off the Barkley bandwagon after only his 6th start when he put a few stinkers together."

Fact: Most were NEVER on the Barkley Bandwagon. Most were cautiously neutral with the thought that we should let it play out and see if he can improve.

Fact 2: He didn't have a "few stinkers". His first 2 games (GB and Ten) were shit shows. In the two game stretch where he didn't throw a shit ton of int's he also only threw 1 TD. Then he reverted again to a guy who doesn't care about the ball. He was never "good" last year. The best way to describe it is he didn't make a dumb mistake for a game or 2.

____

Fiction: "It takes a QB (young or not)about 20 games in a system to master said system."

Fact: You pulled that number out of your ass. Hoyer was putting up consistent +300 yard games and +90QB rating games in this system from day 1.

____

Fiction: "he is basically a rookie that you gave up on after only 6 games"

Fact: He is not "basically a rookie". He is a QB that had been in the league for 3 years prior to the Bears. He's had tons of reps inclusive of actual game reps. He's been so bad since coming into the league that 2 other teams - both of which needed a QB - decided he was not worth keeping. And he proved why with us.

____

Fiction: "This thread is NOT about Barkley"

Fact: Bullshit. You still have a baby boner for him. You could have used the fact that some Bears fans, after 7 seasons, are still on the Cutler bandwaggon.... But nah, you wanted to focus on Barkley. You mention or refer to him half a dozen times. Do us all a favor, wipe your chin.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I for sure was never on the Barkley bandwagon. It was said he passed the "eye test" but I doubt he ever had an eye test because he threw it to the wrong team far too often.

I think the board will be patient with a new rookie. Not so much with a FA with NFL experience. Barkley had the luxury of sitting and learning for 3 years and he still stunk up the place. A rookie will be given his time. I've personally been waiting for a game changing (game changing in a positive way - Cutty was game changing in a negative way) QB for over 50 years. Many have failed my eye test.

Here is an interesting tidbit playing with numbers. Rodgers had a 5.71 TD to INT ratio this year. Barkley had a .571 to 1 ratio. Yet, people want him as a starter. I'd be willing to bet our rookie QB will exceed what Barkley did. It doesn't take much to exceed a .571 to 1 ratio. And, this is with the luxury of being in his 4th year. There is a reason he's been bounced around.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
No whats idiotic is pretending Barkley is the reason you jumped ship. Barkley is only the most recent example of what happens every time with this fan base.

What ship did I jump? Always have and always will be a Bears fan. If you're referring to some imaginary Barkley ship, I was never on it. I don't get my hopes up for bounce around the league, talentless, practice squad players like you.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Year 1: make mistakes, show flashes, probably lose games

Year 2: show progress, consistent flashes, win a couple more games

Year 3: be good

That is what I am looking for.

Even with that it shouldn't limit us from drafting qbs in those years for competition. So that by year 3 if he doesn't cut it we have a back up plan....

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

Believe it or not, 'thirtyjim's gotta point. He just doesn't know how to make it.

"Phat" Matt Barclay isn't a good test of Bear fans' patience, for all the reasons already stated not to mention the fact that he's a piece of brophy. But high round QB "Rx" Grossman was. And so was Cade McNown. Bear fans turned on both of those guys long before it was truly proven that they couldn't cut (Michael McCaskey's gray poupon) mustard.

It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, and it doesn't excuse the Bears from their perpetual petrification of trying until they succeed to draft franchise quarterbii (pl: quarterback). But it is interesting that a fanbase that has been denied a commitment to the position for nearly 100 years refuses to support the rare commitments the team does make . . .

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I can just go ahead and start some of the threads we'll be seeing if we have a rookie QB and he's not playing well now.

R.Pace needs to be fired
J.Fox needs to be fired
We should of picked ???
R.Pace 1 for 3 with 1st round picks
Ownership needs to sell the team
We need to bench ? and play ?

There's a small example of what we'll be seeing.

Yep. Same narrative will happen as well if Pace/Fox trot out some vet retread or low round pick while one of top 3 rookie QB's seem to be excelling elsewhere.
Pressure is on Pace to find the right QB at the top. Exactly the way it should be. Time for him to prove that he is the GM to take us to the top.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep. Same narrative will happen as well if Pace/Fox trot out some vet retread or low round pick while one of top 3 rookie QB's seem to be excelling elsewhere.
Pressure is on Pace to find the right QB at the top. Exactly the way it should be. Time for him to prove that he is the GM to take us to the top.

No doubt about is, PS. And Pace did this to himself. He is now in a do-or-die position because he dithered away the last two drafts without even trying to get the e quarterback he himself stated the Bears needed when he got here. th

the shoopster's got no sympathy for him. Deliver or hit the bricks . . .

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, Bears fans gave him too much time.

I think, especially this crop of QBs, they need at least 2 seasons of starting play to really get a great idea. They'll all give us hints and certain intuitive leanings, but I think they all need time. If they look rough around the edges after 1 season, I think that's really what everyone should expect. Doesn't mean they won't pan out...but obviously means they will need a lot more work.

You're confusing fans with the organization. The fans were already shitting on Cutler since 2011. That wasn't long at all.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Is your thesis statement that people will give up on the 3rd overall pick as quickly as they gave up on a former 4th round pick, twice cut and signed off a PR?

No, my thesis statement is that this fan base does not have the patience it takes to grow the man (QB). Barkley is one of many examples and the most recent. I should not have used Barkley as a example because now people are focusing on the wrong part of the conversation.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, my thesis statement is that this fan base does not have the patience it takes to grow the man (QB). Barkley is one of many examples and the most recent. I should not have used Barkley as a example because now people are focusing on the wrong part of the conversation.

Barkley was a lottery ticket that didn't come in.

Not a legit developmental player.

The Bears would actually have to draft a QB high for us to have the answer.