Safety Position - Offseason

Washington

Liked Posts:
I cannot recall if it was Adams or Hooker, but I recall a comparison to Ed Reed. Would you take an Ed Reed at #3?

Not if a like-quality DE, OLB, or QB was available with the pick.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Yeah stop this Eric Berry shit.....

KC can cut Foles and Jamaal Charles alone and open up 17 mil in space, and cut a few more guys for additional space to keep him and Dontari Poe comfortably, sign a guy or two and get an entire draft class.....

Tony Jefferson from Arizona has a better chance to hit FA, Arizona has a lot of salaries with heavy dead cap hits on the books for next year. TH=hey'll have modest cap room (15-20 range), but Calais Campbell, Evan Mathis, Jermaine Gresham, Chandler Jones, Kevin Minter and Jefferson are FA to be. And they have a solid secondary already with a lot of money tied up in Peterson and Matthieu; they have Branch at modest cost to back up Jefferson, Buchanon [laying multiple spots, and Marcus Cooper.

I'd target Jefferson because he's realistic, and draft a safety high. Enough of these 4th and beyond round picks......

Gaucho

Liked Posts:
why cyprien? he is an older version of amos, a guy who doesnt do well in coverage and is better as a in the box safety.
berry is not leaving the chiefs, either he'll be tagged or get signed long term.
jefferson and church are probably the best safety options that will be available...
personally i'd love to see the bears take hooker and pair him with whoever they sign in free agency.
Cyprien is significantly better than Amos, it's not even close. Cyprien was just shy of a 130 TT season, which is 2x Amos' 65+. They're both strict in the box SS but Cyprien plays run support at a high level.

PFF ranked a Cyprien as the 9th best available FA, with a final score of 87.8, which is identical with Eric Berrys score.

Tony Jefferson/Jonathan Cyprien- FA
Marcus Williams/Budda Baker- 2nd/3rd

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Cyprien is significantly better than Amos, it's not even close. Cyprien was just shy of a 130 TT season, which is 2x Amos' 65+. They're both strict in the box SS but Cyprien plays run support at a high level.

PFF ranked a Cyprien as the 9th best available FA, with a final score of 87.8, which is identical with Eric Berrys score.

O963yXG.jpg

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
AJ Bouye, Tony Jefferson, Hooker at #3, and perhaps another CB in rounds 2-4. If it's a deep class, take advantage of it and actually make the secondary a strength - with depth and play makers -

We're not gonna bring in 4 new DB's with two using big free agent money on and two using high draft picks on when we already have so many young guys on the team that have all in some way shown they can play in the NFL. I think we should work on our secondary in free agency and use the draft for offense like QB, TE and WR if we don't re-sign AJ.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah stop this Eric Berry shit.....

KC can cut Foles and Jamaal Charles alone and open up 17 mil in space, and cut a few more guys for additional space to keep him and Dontari Poe comfortably, sign a guy or two and get an entire draft class.....

Tony Jefferson from Arizona has a better chance to hit FA, Arizona has a lot of salaries with heavy dead cap hits on the books for next year. TH=hey'll have modest cap room (15-20 range), but Calais Campbell, Evan Mathis, Jermaine Gresham, Chandler Jones, Kevin Minter and Jefferson are FA to be. And they have a solid secondary already with a lot of money tied up in Peterson and Matthieu; they have Branch at modest cost to back up Jefferson, Buchanon [laying multiple spots, and Marcus Cooper.

I'd target Jefferson because he's realistic, and draft a safety high. Enough of these 4th and beyond round picks......

Can Jefferson play FS? I've read i think one article saying he could but most have him as a SS. We don't need a SS as badly as we need a FS.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

So more tackles means hes significantly better? "They're both strict in the box SS but Cyprien plays run support at a high level." so when did news break out that fangio is planning to run cover 3 for most of the game? Fangio's safeties need to be interchangable meaning they BOTH have to be able to play coverage and the run...

PFF also ranks reshad johnson as a top 10 safety even though hes played in 5-6 games this year...yea that makes a ton of sense.

How many turnovers has cyprien casued in his career? what is his missed tackle percentage? not sure which year(s) but hes been top 5 in missed tackles amoung DB's.

Throwthebones

Liked Posts:
Amos could play SS and be pretty good if we had ballhawk FS. Is berry a FS or does he fit a SS position better with our scheme. I guess is the question I want to know

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Im actually hopeful that the Bears do consider Hooker or possibly Adams with the #3.. it wouldn't be a reach considering at this point most mocks have one of them going no latter than #5. If the QB class work out like I think... we may still have a shot at one of the top QBs in this class with our #2 pick. That would be the best scenario in my opinion.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I like all these suggestions. Hooker at 3, Jefferson and Bouye in FA plus looking at some DBs in rounds 2-4. We can turn the secondary into a strength. Which will make the obscurity and irrelevance that follows every team without a QB slightly more tolerable.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Amos could play SS and be pretty good if we had ballhawk FS.

Amos will be a nice backup for injury purposes. He is not starter material. He has no big play skills, balls skills, and he can't cover his own shadow. He's only starting because our safeties suck. Unfortunately, it looks like Bush is worse than Amos. We are loaded with backups across our whole secondary.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Amos will be a nice backup for injury purposes. He is not starter material. He has no big play skills, balls skills, and he can't cover his own shadow. He's only starting because our safeties suck. Unfortunately, it looks like Bush is worse than Amos. We are loaded with backups across our whole secondary.

Our secondary might be the worst position group in the entire NFL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Can Jefferson play FS? I've read i think one article saying he could but most have him as a SS. We don't need a SS as badly as we need a FS.

I've watched a good deal of Arizona over the last couple years, and Jefferson is a better fit at SS IMO (I thought we should have tendered him last year as a RFA). He's really good against the run, blitzes pretty regularly, his aggressiveness pairs well with their attacking style on D. But when he's matched up man to man he's not great. Not a center fielder type, although few really are. Having Paterson take away a receiver makes life easier on their safties too.

I think their other FA safety, DJ Swearinger, might be a better fit if you're looking for more of FS. But if you're comfortable using Jefferson as an in-the box and attacking, he's very good at that.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
If Hooker is the next Ed Reed, like they are comparing him too, then yes he is worth the #3 overall pick. The problem is we need a QB bad.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
I would love to see this kid as our SS next year. Great range, great ball skills and size to match up with TE.

[video=youtube_share;d7IvtLovZMs]https://youtu.be/d7IvtLovZMs[/video]

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If Hooker is the next Ed Reed, like they are comparing him too, then yes he is worth the #3 overall pick. The problem is we need a QB bad.

The more i watch Hooker the less i think he's worth a top 5 pick. His upside is through the roof, but he misses a ton of tackles and gets completely fooled by play action and misdirection. He's a great prospect, don't get me wrong, but to compare him to Ed Reed seems misguided to me. Reed was one of the best safeties i've ever seen in college and he wasn't even a top 20 pick.

Adams is a safer pick, and is apparently a great leader. But i don't think he has the upside. If you could combine them into one guy you would have a top 5 safety prospect, but i don't think they are as good as the hype at this point.

Not to mention the draft is super stacked at the position. Budda Baker and Marcus Williams are both really good prospects, and right now it looks like a solid free agent class as well.

If Hooker ends up being the pick at 3, i understand, as i think he has the most upside of any player in this draft, but there is a high bust potential, in my opinion.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eyes.gif

You are misguided, son.

Care to elaborate? Again, he's a great safety prospect, but to pick him at 3 I need to see a once in a lifetime prospect. Based on the missed tackles, misreads etc, Hooker isn't that. Elite upside? absolutely. But there are a LOT of things that need to be ironed out and i could see it taking 2 or 3 years before Hooker is an impact player in the NFL.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Care to elaborate? Again, he's a great safety prospect, but to pick him at 3 I need to see a once in a lifetime prospect. Based on the missed tackles, misreads etc, Hooker isn't that. Elite upside? absolutely. But there are a LOT of things that need to be ironed out and i could see it taking 2 or 3 years before Hooker is an impact player in the NFL.

Elaborate on what? No, Hooker isn't the greatest tackler in the world. But that's because he's always going 100mph at the defender. It's an easy fix. What he does excel in are the things you cannot teach. And yes, he certainly is a once in a lifetime prospect. That is if you classify a once in a lifetime prospect as a player with a skill set not seen in the past 15 years.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Makes sense. Bears don't need Tony Jefferson. Got it.

I think i'm gonna give this putting words in people's mouths thing a try and i have a feeling you're not gonna like it when it gets done to you. Keep on running your cock sucker stalker.