Solomon Thomas Is Going Top 5

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Already thought he would.

Solomon Thomas is going top 3. If he runs what is rumored at the combine, he'll go #2, and you could have Trubisky.

AussieBear

You will be disappointed.

never disappointed..while im sure ill see the numbers at some point.. im not that interested... but 3-cone is what i look at more often than dat 40 when it comes to most defenders..

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I believe Thomas is a real possibility at #2, especially if he tears up the combine. New 49ers GM John Lynch might be a little hesitant in drafting a QB at #2 overall in his first draft. Plus, Lynch is defensive minded, a Stanford alumnus, and 49ers could use a pass rusher.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I believe Thomas is a real possibility at #2, especially if he tears up the combine. New 49ers GM John Lynch might be a little hesitant in drafting a QB at #2 overall in his first draft. Plus, Lynch is defensive minded, a Stanford alumnus, and 49ers could use a pass rusher.

After drafting Buckner and Armstead the last 2 years? How many 5 techniques do they need?

ob1force

Liked Posts:
After drafting Buckner and Armstead the last 2 years? How many 5 techniques do they need?

He can play 34 OLB, especially if he has sub 4.6 speed. Hell, even if he has "only" sub 4.7 speed, that's pretty darn good.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
He can play 34 OLB, especially if he has sub 4.6 speed. Hell, even if he has "only" sub 4.7 speed, that's pretty darn good.

His tape says differently, in my opinion. He looks like either a 5 technique or a base end in a 4-3 who moves inside on passing downs. Nothing about him says "space player".

I will say he is one of my favorite players in this draft, and i think he has All Pro potential.

And as a bonus he's a local kid.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
His tape says differently, in my opinion. He looks like either a 5 technique or a base end in a 4-3 who moves inside on passing downs. Nothing about him says "space player".

I will say he is one of my favorite players in this draft, and i think he has All Pro potential.

And as a bonus he's a local kid.

Yeah but he didn't get enough opportunity to play in space at Stanford, so who really knows how he'd handle a 34 OLB role but if he's running similar 20 yard shuttle times to Von Miller, I think it shows he's got the talent to do so. He can drop some weight to play even faster as well, I think he's at around 270 lbs. now.

We'll see how he weighs in at the combine. My guess is he comes in at 265 or under, he's going to want to test fast/explosive. That's what is going to potentially get him drafted as high as possible.

And I just looked into the 49ers defensive coordinator search and it looks like they're hiring 4-3 guys. So it actually might be possible they're switching to that where Thomas can be a possible fit.

laputan

Liked Posts:
I believe Thomas is a real possibility at #2.

It is amazing how much putting on a show on TV in a bowl game (Solomon Thomas' Stanford vs Trubisky's UNC in the Sun Bowl) can improve a player's stock.

Solomon Thomas was a round 2 draft pick before that game. I think he is getting to be really really really overrated. I'd be fine with him at #36.

laputan

Liked Posts:

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
It is amazing how much putting on a show on TV in a bowl game (Solomon Thomas' Stanford vs Trubisky's UNC in the Sun Bowl) can improve a player's stock.

Solomon Thomas was a round 2 draft pick before that game. I think he is getting to be really really really overrated. I'd be fine with him at #36.
He was never going in the 2nd round. Just because fans come late to the party doesn't mean NFL scouts do. One game will never define any player in terms of draft stock.

laputan

Liked Posts:
He was never going in the 2nd round. Just because fans come late to the party doesn't mean NFL scouts do. One game will never define any player in terms of draft stock.

Walterfootball has him going #4 to the Jaguars in their latest mock. But they forgot that they had him and still have him as the #8 defensive end in the draft (does not include defensive tackles which are a separate list).

"Thomas has good speed off the edge with strength and physicality. Off the field, he is getting high marks for character and work ethic. Thomas would probably fit best in a 3-4 defense as an outside linebacker. Sources say they are grading Thomas out a second-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft."

He wasn't on most first round mocks prior to meeting UNC. Of the ones he was on, Profootball focus had him going #27, Draftwire had him going #32. Washington Post had him outside the top 30 under "other players under top 30 consideration".

Nov 28. Solomon Thomas Jr. DT - Arguably the best defensive lineman in the Pac-12 this year, Thomas is athletic and versatile with the ability to play a number of positions at the next level. Prediction: Since Thomas is actually a redshirt sophomore, I think he comes back for his third year of on-field action. Range: Early-to-mid-3rd round.

I just hope we're not the ones overreaching for him based on 1 game.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Walterfootball has him going #4 to the Jaguars in their latest mock. But they forgot that they had him and still have him as the #8 defensive end in the draft (does not include defensive tackles which are a separate list).

"Thomas has good speed off the edge with strength and physicality. Off the field, he is getting high marks for character and work ethic. Thomas would probably fit best in a 3-4 defense as an outside linebacker. Sources say they are grading Thomas out a second-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft."

He wasn't on most first round mocks prior to meeting UNC. Of the ones he was on, Profootball focus had him going #27, Draftwire had him going #32. Washington Post had him outside the top 30 under "other players under top 30 consideration".

Nov 28. Solomon Thomas Jr. DT - Arguably the best defensive lineman in the Pac-12 this year, Thomas is athletic and versatile with the ability to play a number of positions at the next level. Prediction: Since Thomas is actually a redshirt sophomore, I think he comes back for his third year of on-field action. Range: Early-to-mid-3rd round.

I just hope we're not the ones overreaching for him based on 1 game.
Again, you're taking about fans (Walter football) not those really in the know. I don't think he'll go top 5 but I have little doubt he goes top 20, or even top 10.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Dude, the guy is as quick as the top WIDE RECEIVERS. And he's 270 lbs!!!

laputan

Liked Posts:
Dude, the guy is as quick as the top WIDE RECEIVERS. And he's 270 lbs!!!

Here come the mocks, the Bears with the number 3 pick select "a smaller version of JJ Watt":

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears/2017-nfl-mock-draft-version-10-bears-select-solomon-thomas-myles-garrett-jamal-adams-mitch-trubisky-jonathan-allen-stanford-nfl-draft

3. Chicago Bears: Solomon Thomas (DL), Stanford

If you haven't watched Thomas play and you're enamored with Alabama defensive end Jonathan Allen (I don't blame you because this was a difficult decision for me), I'd advise you to clear off your schedule for a few hours and find the time to do so. Thomas will get knocked for his size because he is a bit of a tweener at 6-foot-3 and 273 pounds, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a time where he looks overmatched against bigger offensive lineman. Thomas is an athletic freak with a non-stop motor whose play at times will remind you of a smaller version of three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt. In the right system, Thomas could become a perennial All-Pro defensive end.