Is Matt Barkley Better Than We Think He Is?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Great thread OP. Can't wait for camp. The haters are gonna hate, the coaches not so much. The coaches know Barkley showed a lot of good things last year. He'll get his shot with a full camp and team. Outside of the turnovers I can't think of one thing he did not do very well. Hopefully he learns from it and surprises us all. With time in the system a full camp and a dump off option, I expect MB can cut the turnovers down. Not sure why the hate from some, we got this kid for nothing and lose nothing if he does not work out. If he cleans up his game we have a good back up, maybe more.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
To me, his play basically shows that his floor is higher than most thought. He can probably play well enough to be on a roster and since he's still young, he could be worth it to stick around. He also appears to have good QB character. At the same time, he didn't do anything to believe he's special. His arm is below average and he's not athletic. It limits his upside. For him to be successful, he's going to have to learn to really pick apart a defense. He's obviously not there yet.

His biggest problem is that the team has no commitment. No draft pick, no money. The GM and coach are on the hot seat, so there is no way he's going to come into this season with a realistic shot to start. He would really have to blow everyone away in camp and show he's taken a huge step. And he probably needs someone to get hurt to even get an opportunity.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eagles: Desperate for a QB.... Cut Barkley

Cardinals: Desperate for a QB to back-up an injury prone QB.... Cut Barkley

Bears: Desperate for a QB let Barkley start 6 disaster-laden games putting up the worst QB numbers with that many starts since Craig Krenzel.

Bears Fans: "He's better than we think."... "He should be our starter".... "We don't need to draft a QB - we have Barkley."... "I'm sure he can cut down on INT's"

And leave it to a Bears fan to find an obscure stat which equates to "Innaccurate gunslinger who Doesn't give a fuck about ball possession" to somehow justify this turd.

:obama:

Eagles traded Barkley to AZ. He was a final cut by them and would have probably gone back on their PS had he not signed with us 1st. The turnover thing has been an issue and some were rather ugly. That said, he's worth having in camp and I think he will be. The last 2 teams he was on seem all wrong to me. How does he fit in a Chip Kelly O or in AZs strong arm O? He fits much better here but he needs to work on the risk/reward aspect of his play with his arm limitations in mind. Right now, he's a gunslinger with an air rifle. You can still do plenty of damage with an air rifle. He just doesn't look like that either right now.

Personally, I hate watching Hoyer play. It's like watching grass grow. If he actually tried to be effective, he'd throw tons of picks. I don't need a vet to show kids how to check down on every fucking play.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
No, he's really not.

When defenses give him the middle of the field, he can be effective, and we saw that.

But that's his comfort zone, he struggled to throw the ball to the sidelines. Defenses picked up on that, took away the middle of the field and the turnover machine we saw during the last 2 weeks was the result.

He's somebody's back up.......that's his ceiling at this point.

Liked Posts:
It was clear what we were getting with Barkley.

[video=youtube_share;pWp0nG9ieTs]https://youtu.be/pWp0nG9ieTs[/video]

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
It was clear what we were getting with Barkley.

[video=youtube_share;pWp0nG9ieTs]https://youtu.be/pWp0nG9ieTs[/video]

Shiity route running trying to make a play outside the pocket shitty oline trying to make timing throws with pressure etc etc.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think we should give him a 7 year 100+ mil contract and develop him. Also change OC's every year because the more offenses you know the better you can trick the D.

Also constantly change his line men and wide outs so he can have more friends

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
No, he's really not.

When defenses give him the middle of the field, he can be effective, and we saw that.

But that's his comfort zone, he struggled to throw the ball to the sidelines. Defenses picked up on that, took away the middle of the field and the turnover machine we saw during the last 2 weeks was the result.

^^^^

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
None of us know anything about Hoyer being anykind of a mentor and I do not care if he is or isn't. He should be signed because he is a decent NFL quarterback who can be trusted not to shit himself in a game. They should sign him and then make a decision on who their future would be quarterback is. Let the QB coach and offensive coordinator develop the young guy and lt Hoyer just be Hoyer.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1kf3uc.jpg

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Barkley is a fine backup option for the Bears and I hope he stays on in that capacity. He proved his worth in that capacity but also proved he shouldn't start.

More than anything this information proves that the Bears have a solid foundation in place for any QB to come in and start.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Barkley also has more games started than Jimmy Garopollo for those wishing to pin the hopes of the next 10 years of football in five quarters of meaningful football.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
[video=youtube_share;EYdF_-Js6r8]https://youtu.be/EYdF_-Js6r8[/video]

That fade to Thompson was a beaut. He definitely needs to be in camp, but no matter who is QB of this team next year, the expectations must be minimal considering Cam Meredith and 2 injuries waiting to happen will be the top wideouts.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That fade to Thompson was a beaut. He definitely needs to be in camp, but no matter who is QB of this team next year, the expectations must be minimal considering Cam Meredith and 2 injuries waiting to happen will be the top wideouts.

[video=youtube_share;k9Q-mv6OmSI]https://youtu.be/k9Q-mv6OmSI[/video]

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, he's really not.

Barkley's biggest fault is his inability to read the safeties over the middle deep. He is okay on the short routes, the corner routes, the side-line routes. But there were so many cases where the receiver appeared to be open but he did not read the safety correctly and the result was an easy interception(s). I don't know if the kid can be "coached up" or not, but that certainly is a big time flaw in his game:(

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wish lowlights were more of a thing.

billwade

Liked Posts:
Barkley's biggest fault is his inability to read the safeties over the middle deep. He is okay on the short routes, the corner routes, the side-line routes. But there were so many cases where the receiver appeared to be open but he did not read the safety correctly and the result was an easy interception(s). I don't know if the kid can be "coached up" or not, but that certainly is a big time flaw in his game:(

You're right on this. I noticed Barkley really struggled mightily against cover 3 where the CBs take the outside thirds and the FS played the deep middle. When the nickel and SS played the curl-flat drops and the LBs sunk to protect the short middle, Barkley often looked confused. I think it was against this defense that he threw the ugliest picks. When the underneath and flat-curl routes were covered, his instinct was to throw deep, often into double coverage.

In the NFL, you can rest assured that teams will figure out your most glaring weakness and exploit it until it's fixed or your out of the league.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great thread OP. Can't wait for camp. The haters are gonna hate, the coaches not so much. The coaches know Barkley showed a lot of good things last year. He'll get his shot with a full camp and team. Outside of the turnovers I can't think of one thing he did not do very well. Hopefully he learns from it and surprises us all. With time in the system a full camp and a dump off option, I expect MB can cut the turnovers down. Not sure why the hate from some, we got this kid for nothing and lose nothing if he does not work out. If he cleans up his game we have a good back up, maybe more.

I swear, only on this board????