Jamal Adams ranked #1 on an NFL team draft board

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Don't think they will have that luxury. Heard many analysts including Mayock say he is a top 5 guy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And then go back to our super bowl against Indy and see what happens when you have a shit safety starting against a top tier QB

As I recall the big TD was due to a miscommunication not a shit safety. The players didn't all hear the same call.

I am not sure how that proves anything. This would be like arguing Peyton Manning isn't a great QB because in the SB against the Seahawks, he and Manny Ramirez fucked up a snap because of miscommunication.

Furthermore, I don't think you could argue that the difference between a 1st round S and a 2nd round S is such that the 2nd round safety is going to miss hearing calls more frequently than a first round safety.

Aside from the Miscommunication, the Bears played Cover 2 for much of that game and Manning and the Colts still won because they simply dinked and dunked their way to victory which still proves my point. Safeties are by far the easiest players to avoid on defense and still be effective because they are generally responsible for a part of the field that has the least amount of action. Games are generally one and lost in the trenches and the short to intermediate range. Deep passes are flashy but they are few and far between even when your safeties suck balls.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I think we'll take Jamal Adams with the 3rd overall pick. If Allen didn't have arthritis in his shoulder, we'd take him. But Adams is a high impact, dynamic player. I'd love to draft a stud TE in the 2nd round and get one of the 20 or so good CB's in the 3rd.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I think we'll take Jamal Adams with the 3rd overall pick. If Allen didn't have arthritis in his shoulder, we'd take him. But Adams is a high impact, dynamic player. I'd love to draft a stud TE in the 2nd round and get one of the 20 or so good CB's in the 3rd.

No QB for you?

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
I the Bears sign or trade for a QB pre draft... I would love to see Adams be our pick... as far as I can tell he's getting a top five rating so it wouldnt be a reach... and trading down would be risking not getting him at all.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I like Adams I'm hoping for him & one of those big fast CB's at 36, but if Melinfonue is there at 36, then Kaaya at 67..

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Adams lacks the physical upside a Safety at #3 should have but since he is a leader it makes it worthwhile?!?

How about we draft a leader of the offense, you know the most important position on the team, QB. Watson is the answer.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
So Adams lacks the physical upside a Safety at #3 should have but since he is a leader it makes it worthwhile?!?

How about we draft a leader of the offense, you know the most important position on the team, QB. Watson is the answer.

1. Yes it does, you vastly underrate the impact that leadership, Football IQ and the culture Adams will bring with him.

2. Favorite non-QB selection. Keep it in context. You know where I stand when it comes to QB at 3. Check the sig if you forgot who the best QB in this draft is.

Bort

Liked Posts:

This isn't true (unless you think the 40-yard dash is the only test of athleticism, and that 4.56 isn't a good 40 time for a strong safety).

Adams was a top performer in the agility drills with a sub-7 3-cone time, a sub-7 60 yard shuttle time, and a 4.13 20 yard shuttle time.

Adams also put up 18 reps at 225, which is excellent for a safety, and better than a lot of linebackers.

Adams absolutely has the physical tools to be an elite NFL strong safety.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Adams is a stud. Likely my top choice if we don't go QB. Lattimore the other player I would want at that spot.

If you are going to use a top 3 pick on a DB, it has to be for a CB, not a safety. JMO

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
If you are going to use a top 3 pick on a DB, it has to be for a CB, not a safety. JMO

Safety has become more prominent than ever before, They're asked to do everything, cover the slot, single high in the box, blitz, zone. And if you find one that can do it all well then Im in

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Safety has become more prominent than ever before, They're asked to do everything, cover the slot, single high in the box, blitz, zone. And if you find one that can do it all well then Im in

He could be like Eric Berry.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
He could be like Eric Berry.

Exactly, he's not an explosive as an athlete as Berry but he is still a very good athlete despite his 4.56 (which he was really dissapointed in and will probably run again at his pro day.