Analysis of Sanchez Signing Thread (not reaction to)

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I still think the right move is patience with Pace, because he is succeeding in some of his duties and is so young.

This part I agree with. Buy the fact he won't draft a QB is killing me. I can handle losing if there is a future QB on the roster. But if we don't do something at QB this draft I'm off the Pace bandwagon. I only had one foot one anyway.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
My money's on no rookie QB this year...

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Sculpt!!!!! Those who can't do, then teach. I don't think that is why he was brought here, but your reasoning is incorrect.

Enough of Shaw's preseason versus 3rd and 4th stringers. It was good, but nothing that has other teams watching him in case he ends up on the practice squad.
Prescott said 'Sanchez taught him the most'. I don't want to discount that loving act too much, but that isn't his job. His full-time job is to be ready to step in and win that week's game. I've never heard of a team signing a QB to play backup and coach. If you have some sources that say different, post us a link, and I'll check it out.

Like I said, conventional wisdom is Shaw is safe on PS, but Fales didn't do as well as Shaw, and Bears had to bring him into the 53-roster to keep NE from taking him. I don't think you usually get a 'warning'. My main point is I'd rather develop & play Shaw than Sanchez as my backup. I haven't heard any argument why the opposite is better.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
So we're having analysis threads for existing threads? Holy shit where does it end?
You mean the ten page "Sanchez WTF?!" thread? This thread isn't an analysis thread of the '10 pages of WTF reactions'. This the analysis thread of the Sanchez signing. Pretty damn big difference there. I don't want to wade through 10 pages of "WTF reactions". Not interested. :p

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
John Fox QB history

Jimmy Clausen - Drafted in the second round under John Fox's last year. Fox later brought him to Chicago.
Was here before Fox. We let him go when we could. I'm sure Gase could have had anyone else available if he so chose.
Brock Osweiler - Drafted in the second round in the 2012 draft. Surprised Fox didn't try to trade for him.
I don't know what Fox had to do with Osweiler but we should be happy Denver were willing to take a QB in 2 with Fox in the room.
Tim Tebow - Drafted in the first round in 2010 before John Fox was head coach in Denver.
He and the OC got more out of Tebow than thought possible and tossed him asap. Not part of the regime that drafted him.
Jay Cutler - Decided not to trade him when he had a decent season.
Jay couldn't be traded for his salary and they weren't going into the season with the cupboard bare. They did try to trade him during the draft and look where he is this year. Can't trade what nobody wants and he was still the best QB we could actually play that year.
Mike Glennon - Bears overpay for Glennon.
We probably paid a million per more than his value at the time to close the deal. The other aspect of it was that he could have just sat it out a while and watch his price go up. It would have. 49ers and Jets saved face with comments but neither signed a QB until Glennon was off the market. They never got a sniff by design.
Peyton Manning - Aging QB, good move for the Broncos.
Yup and not one I wasn't sure would work out. Shows what a vet with the worst velocity in years can do.

John Fox is a magnet for bad QB's but he can build a pretty good defense.
He also got to a SB with Delhomme.

Not a super Fox fan but the QB thing isn't why.
Here's a thing. Fox's M.O. has been to keep the O kinda conservative and move chains until he lulls you up and takes a big chunk. Loggains likes to go downfield as well and we didn't have anyone but Jay that had a shot at playing that game even if late and meh with throws. Hoyer just abandoned the deep ball as it only got him in trouble and Barkley was so gung ho that he tried to write checks his body couldn't catch when he had options in the flat. Glennon can operate everything in this O. He may not be the greatest QB in the league but he's fully functional in that he doesn't lose games and can make a throw when needed which everyone should be happy about after what's been going on here. It's not his fault that he isn't Watson or Trubisky. I don't get hating on the best option available just because we want the next great hope to be drafted.

Sachez signing was just dirty but if he's a 3rd stringer at the end of the season, he was a great addition. He's sucks but he's got a playoff record of 4-2 with a 94+ passer rating. His regular season stats are very similar to Josh McCown and we signed him for the price of Matt Barkley.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Prescott said 'Sanchez taught him the most'. I don't want to discount that loving act too much, but that isn't his job. His full-time job is to be ready to step in and win that week's game. I've never heard of a team signing a QB to play backup and coach. If you have some sources that say different, post us a link, and I'll check it out.

Like I said, conventional wisdom is Shaw is safe on PS, but Fales didn't do as well as Shaw, and Bears had to bring him into the 53-roster to keep NE from taking him. I don't think you usually get a 'warning'. My main point is I'd rather develop & play Shaw than Sanchez as my backup. I haven't any argument why the opposite is better.

I believe that we'll have to protect Shaw if we want to keep him and he's in full participation. We paid Sanchez enough that we could wave him at final cuts and bring him back. He's less likely to be claimed at that nut and it could be prearranged we re-sign him at his current rate to keep him if desired.

Playing devil's advocate in this thread to keep it interesting.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If the bears draft a QB high, Sanchez is gone. The only good thing about the signing is we do not know how good Connor Shaw is moving with the devastating leg injury.

Sanches dropped back to throw 18 times last season, two were intercepted, he was sacked twice. He has held onto the ball too long his entire career. There really is no logic to signing him, other than fans crying there is no recognizable name on the QB roster.

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
Not to sound geh but they clearly signed Sanchez because he has a nice face. So he can balance out Napoleon Dynamite Giraffe in the team photo.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Tonya Harding

I believe that we'll have to protect Shaw if we want to keep him and he's in full participation. We paid Sanchez enough that we could wave him at final cuts and bring him back. He's less likely to be claimed at that nut and it could be prearranged we re-sign him at his current rate to keep him if desired.

Playing devil's advocate in this thread to keep it interesting.
Thanks, Pickman! Totally agree. I don't think Shaw is safe on PS.

You're right, we could cut Sanchez, but he has 1 mil guaranteed. I would certainly do it if necessary. But probably not something we'd expect, or that Pace would plan on likely doing. One mil in the NFL these days ain't a ton, but it's still weighty.

Maybe they could call Tonya Harding to see to it Sanchez went on IR>

As a devil's advocate, I think you're supposed to disagree with me more. :-v

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did enough of that in the other post.:dealwithit:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If the bears draft a QB high, Sanchez is gone. The only good thing about the signing is we do not know how good Connor Shaw is moving with the devastating leg injury.

Sanches dropped back to throw 18 times last season, two were intercepted, he was sacked twice. He has held onto the ball too long his entire career. There really is no logic to signing him, other than fans crying there is no recognizable name on the QB roster.
Sounds like he'll be ready to go. Says he's already running.

Bears' Connor Shaw: Returning to full strength
by RotoWire Staff Feb 16, 2017

Shaw (lower leg) expects to return in time for OTAs, The State reports. "I'm getting the strength back. I'm back running and throwing, so taking it day by day and getting better every day," the quarterback said.

Shaw missed the entire 2016 campaign due to a broken leg suffered in the preseason. When healthy, he'll enter a fluid
Bears quarterback picture. Not only is Jay Cutler (shoulder) facing an uncertain future with the organization due to his underwhelming on-field performance since signing a seven-year, $126 million contract in 2014, but the other two names above Shaw on the depth chart, Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley, are both set to be unrestricted free agents. Shaw and No. 5 QB David Fales, on the other hand, will be restricted free agents. Further complicating matters is the likelihood of the team selecting a quarterback in this year's draft. All in all, at this point in time it is anyone's guess what the future holds in store for the 25-year-old. http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bears-connor-shaw-returning-to-full-strength/

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hopefully he was throwing the whole time and got a stronger arm by throwing without his legs.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
Or his signing is to push Shaw to win the Back up QB position???....