Home vs pirates

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That why he should just sit Zobrist for now...

Baez may be struggling with bat but at least he gives them defense at 2B and be hits at bottom of order..

Zobrist not a world beater defensively and struggling in 4 hole with bat...

Maddon needs to just stick with a lineup for a few games and let them get a rhythm going, instead of bouncing around between Baez Zobrist Heyward Almora and Jay every day..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I would run Baez around the diamond 4 days a week to give the reg's a day off. Ideally if the team plays 6 of 7 games per week Baez would rotate for 4 games giving each reg a day off. Jay would then get 3 starts per week giving each OF a day off.

At that point you would be Starting Baez 4/6 games per week and the starters 5/6 per week.

I believe that is a pretty fair rotation which keeps the players fresh.

Now they are not going to bench Zo unless he never gets going this year. IIR last year he got hot in May. I wouldn't start benching anyone at this point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Duensing, who signed a one-year deal with the Cubs this offseason, was activated off the 10-day disabled list Friday after dealing with lower back tightness during Spring Training. He replaced right-hander Carl Edwards Jr., who was placed on the bereavement list.
I know...

You said Rondon would likely go on DL when Edwards comes back over dumping LaStella or Szczur...

I was telling you Rondon is back cause he pitched today, so its not likely he gets DL

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would run Baez around the diamond 4 days a week to give the reg's a day off. Ideally if the team plays 6 of 7 games per week Baez would rotate for 4 games giving each reg a day off. Jay would then get 3 starts per week giving each OF a day off.

At that point you would be Starting Baez 4/6 games per week and the starters 5/6 per week.

Now they are not going to bench Zo unless he never gets going this year. IIR last year he got hot in May. I wouldn't start benching anyone at this point.
Yea but its unlikely Maddon sits Bryant Russell or Rizzo twice a week or every 8 games...
Especially early in season

Zobrist is 37 YO .. There no reason for him to have to play so much and disrupt everyone else..
Let the kids play

Zobrist can give Baez or Russell a day off against tough RHers and Schwarber a day off against tough LHers...

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I knew that you would pick out my post out of all these and troll me. Sad, predictable troll

I wonder if the Cubs will win a single playoff game this year? What does your expert opinion say?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know...

You said Rondon would likely go on DL when Edwards comes back over dumping LaStella or Szczur...

I was telling you Rondon is back cause he pitched today, so its not likely he gets DL

CHICAGO -- Cubs reliever Hector Rondon underwent an MRI on his left knee on Thursday after having to come out of Wednesday night's game after a play at the plate.

Rondon tried to handle a throw at the plate in the ninth inning against the Dodgers, but said he felt something "pop" in his knee. There was no collision at the plate.
Full Game Coverage
"When I tried to catch the ball, I slipped and I felt it a little bit," Rondon said after the game.

The plan for now is to give Rondon at least one day. The right-hander has given up one earned run and walked two over 3 1/3 innings in four games so far.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Was based off that.

I'll agree to disagree on Zo. Joe still keeps Javy towards to bottom of his line ups while Zo bats clean up. That tells me the value each player holds. Add to it most of what Joe says about Javy it ties to his play on the field vs what he does at the plate.

In reality, if Javy would put every thing together this would be a dead topic.

But I'll agree with Almora playing every day part. He is doing everything well at this point and deserves to see a lion share of playing time.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Last year, Boston led baseball in runs with 878

- They scored 0-1 runs almost one of eight games (20 times)
- They scored 2 runs at almost the same rate as above (18 times)
- They scored 3 runs at a similar rate (17 times)

All in all, while leading baseball in runs scored, they scored 3 runs or less in over a quarter of their games. Due to the large sample of the sport, you can't judge baseball players or teams on individual games, it's too unreliable. Players and team greatness is measured entirely by end of year stats, not in game averages. We evaluate football and basketball players and their greatness by their averages (think Russell Westbrook and the attention he receives for averaging a triple-double) but baseball players are measured for their end of year totals like WAR.

If you want to live and die with a baseball team for 162 games I can't really stop you but even if the Cubs win 102 games, that means for 60 days of the 180 day long regular season, twice a week, two whole months of the six, you're going to be upset about the outcome. You're going to find fault in something. And that's EVEN IF they're one of the most successful teams of recent memory.

I felt that the way last year went (the Cubs steam roll the regular season, face numerous pressures to win in the WS, find a way to do it) would mean that people would give up on the consternation of every game (Omlet's "all or nothing" offense line or "guy X is only hitting sub .200, we need to sit him") but alas, it seemingly hasn't. There is always some hitter struggling, some pitcher who is struggling, whatever it is, you can't let one game or even a month of games get in the way.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

If Bryant only starts 125 games this year, I'll be fucking livid.

If Russell only starts 125 games this year and was healthy and productive the whole year, I'll be upset.

Javy is a talented baseball player, he's a starter on many teams. ON THIS TEAM, he's not better than the guys who start ahead of him. There is some desire to give Javy a ton of AB's/PA's that he simply hasn't earned. I'm not really worried about playing time because there will be some injury that will probably force Javy in to the starting lineup for two-four weeks straight.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Was based off that.

I'll agree to disagree on Zo. Joe still keeps Javy towards to bottom of his line ups while Zo bats clean up. That tells me the value each player holds. Add to it most of what Joe says about Javy it ties to his play on the field vs what he does at the plate.

In reality, if Javy would put every thing together this would be a dead topic.

But I'll agree with Almora playing every day part. He is doing everything well at this point and deserves to see a lion share of playing time.
So youd rather have a 37 yo struggling bat hitting cleanup over a 22 yo defensive 2B ..

Not me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Bryant only starts 125 games this year, I'll be fucking livid.

If Russell only starts 125 games this year and was healthy and productive the whole year, I'll be upset.

Javy is a talented baseball player, he's a starter on many teams. ON THIS TEAM, he's not better than the guys who start ahead of him. There is some desire to give Javy a ton of AB's/PA's that he simply hasn't earned. I'm not really worried about playing time because there will be some injury that will probably force Javy in to the starting lineup for two-four weeks straight.

It would be 135 games each not 125. 5/6 x 162. Seeing how he avg 152 over the last two years I can see your point.

Honestly I believe this line up will end up Happ, Almora, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Russell, Heyward, Contreras when it is said and done. Zo would be leading off if he was in his prime still. Happ fits that role better. Almora is a strong contact hitter and fits at the top after he adapts to the league.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It would be 135 games each not 125. 5/6 x 162. Seeing how he avg 152 over the last two years I can see your point.

Honestly I believe this line up will end up Happ, Almora, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Russell, Heyward, Contreras when it is said and done. Zo would be leading off if he was in his prime still. Happ fits that role better. Almora is a strong contact hitter and fits at the top after he adapts to the league.

This is incorrect unless you see a manager change in the Cub's future. As long as Joe has a deep well of talent at his disposal, he will use that talent on a day to day basis. Some will be used more than others but there will not be a regular "8" in the daily lineup.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CF is the only rotation spot right now. Last year he used LF

chibears55

Liked Posts:
CF is the only rotation spot right now. Last year he used LF
@CSNCubs: Cubs lineup today on CSN:

Schwarber - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Zobrist - RF
Russell - SS
Heyward - CF
Contreras - C
Arrieta - P
Baez - 2B

Not much of a rotation going on in CF...

Its been basically Heyward with a sprinkle of Almora and a pinch of Jay...

Not so much Almora but got a feeling we might hear some rumbling from Jay and maybe even Montero as season goes on and their PT stays non existent...

I think Jay signed on thinking hed get majority of PT being a lefty and them easing in Almora..
Don't think he expected to be the 3rd wheel with Heyward getting most of CF starts so they can play Zobrist in RF now..

Montero... Just think him being a veteran and after moping about lack of PT in playoffs, he might start getting frustrated over not playing much...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wind blowing out, young pitcher with career ERA over 5 in 8 starts...
I want 10 runs today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
KBs first homer. And now everyone is hitting.

3-0

CSF77

Liked Posts:
@CSNCubs: Cubs lineup today on CSN:

Schwarber - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Zobrist - RF
Russell - SS
Heyward - CF
Contreras - C
Arrieta - P
Baez - 2B

Not much of a rotation going on in CF...

Its been basically Heyward with a sprinkle of Almora and a pinch of Jay...

Not so much Almora but got a feeling we might hear some rumbling from Jay and maybe even Montero as season goes on and their PT stays non existent...

I think Jay signed on thinking hed get majority of PT being a lefty and them easing in Almora..
Don't think he expected to be the 3rd wheel with Heyward getting most of CF starts so they can play Zobrist in RF now..

Montero... Just think him being a veteran and after moping about lack of PT in playoffs, he might start getting frustrated over not playing much...

Montero had a sit down with Joe over the off season and they came to a understanding. It is about Contreras as the future and Montero is embracing being a tutor. Playing on the defending champ most likely factored huge and the fact the club house is good.

Jay I doubt has much say. He got paid well to come off a cellar dweller to a chance at a ring. I doubt he squawks much.

Almora hasn't earned the right to make a stink over it yet. My opinion is one thing but Joe is favoring the guys who got him there.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets