Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
With Pace's track record of [1] looking for the uber-athlete type with his #1, and [2] preferring DL/edge & OL with his higher draft picks, I'd say its more likely to be a case of those two being his #2 (Adams) and #1 (Thomas), not the other way around. Of course, none of us has a clue as to what the Bears board really looks like, but that would be the way to bet...
There also is a track record of him trying to trade up for a top 2 QB in both of his drafts, while having a heavy QB contract on the books, it would suck if he is in position for one now but doesn't like either.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we stay at #3 i agree with these two being his #1 and #2 left on his 1st round board.

It would be a nightmare, but it's probably what he'll do. If he goes with the cautious defensive pick and ignores QB again, I truly hope the ticket sales plummet again and the ownership puts severe pressure on him to address the position.

Rise

Liked Posts:
My guess is the pick will be Lattimore or Thomas, assuming Garrett is off the board. I'm not happy about it but this team won't change, the Chicago Cowards.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to walk before you run, mick. A franchise QB laying on his back won't help this team much. And maybe we grab one in the 2nd or even a late 1st trade up as the QB's slide as some are anticipating.

Either way, we won't know the outcome for another 3-4 years ...

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
You have to walk before you run, mick. A franchise QB laying on his back won't help this team much. And maybe we grab one in the 2nd or even a late 1st trade up as the QB's slide as some are anticipating.

You have to take him when he's available. Chances are he won't be in 2018.

Also, if the plan is to start him in 2018 you have two drafts and a FA to find him protection and weapons.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

The offensive line is more than adequate, so I don't understand the reasoning of he will be "laying on his back."

If you don't pick one at #3, you are likely picking lesser talent in future drafts or way overpaying for the shot at one like Darnold, and that's if you even get a chance to overpay for him.
Also, with the idea that a QB needs a few years, at least, to hit his stride, wouldn't it make more sense to have him seeing his potential in 2,3 or 4 years once you have had a chance to build the remaining players that mature sooner? If you have a A+ defense in 2 years and a rookie or developmental QB still finding his way, I don't see that as better off.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
The offensive line is more than adequate, so I don't understand the reasoning of he will be "laying on his back."

If you don't pick one at #3, you are likely picking lesser talent in future drafts or way overpaying for the shot at one like Darnold, and that's if you even get a chance to overpay for him.
Also, with the idea that a QB needs a few years, at least, to hit his stride, wouldn't it make more sense to have him seeing his potential in 2,3 or 4 years once you have had a chance to build the remaining players that mature sooner? If you have a A+ defense in 2 years and a rookie or developmental QB still finding his way, I don't see that as better off.

This.

2017 - Glennon gets by with good interior line and Howard. Hope that one of the WRs develops. Watson sits.
2018 - Get a RT and another receiver. Watson starts.

That gives Watson a top 10 offensive line, a solid running game and hopefully at least a couple of legit weapons in the passing game for his first year starting.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It would be a nightmare, but it's probably what he'll do. If he goes with the cautious defensive pick and ignores QB again, I truly hope the ticket sales plummet again and the ownership puts severe pressure on him to address the position.

I have to say that i think calling them picking one of those two a nightmare is over doing it. I understand how badly you want a QB at 3 especially Watson but i just don't see it as a nightmare not going QB early in this draft. This is one of the things we disagree on and that's ok.

https://t.co/UzzaXA3KD1

baredown

Liked Posts:
There also is a track record of him trying to trade up for a top 2 QB in both of his drafts, while having a heavy QB contract on the books, it would suck if he is in position for one now but doesn't like either.

Not to quibble, but there's rumor Pace tried to trade up for Marriota & Wentz. That's not quite up to the standard of a track record. None of us know how serious those attempts were, or even if they happened at all. Yeah, it sucks the Bears are at #3 this year, and apparently don't see another Marriota or Wentz in this year's QB crop. My point was simply if it really does come down to Adams versus Thomas, my money would be on Thomas, based on how Pace has actually drafted over the past two years. I'd be good with Adams. I'd be good with Thomas. I'd even be cool with Fournette. Whoever it is just needs to be an impact type player; it's that simple...

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would actually prefer that if he does pass on a QB at 3, that he doesn't draft one at all. Wasting a 2nd round pick on a QB that likely wasn't your guy in this draft when there is going to be special talent available at #36 would be the worst.

QB at #3 or not at all.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

The Bears were in the top-5 in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed on offense.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I would actually prefer that if he does pass on a QB at 3, that he doesn't draft one at all. Wasting a 2nd round pick on a QB that likely wasn't your guy in this draft when there is going to be special talent available at #36 would be the worst.

QB at #3 or not at all.

It's hard to argue with this logic. There are two good starting QBs on average in every NFL Draft and I'm willing to bet Kizer and Mahomes aren't those two.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

QB at #3 or not at all.
I think the only guy he may really like and knows he can get later is Kaaya. I think he values his easily NFL translatable pocket/read skills.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

QB at #3 or not at all.

I'm totally with you.

The worst possible outcome for me is something like...

[3] Lattimore
[36] Peterman

or...

[3] ...
[36] ...
[67] Kaaya

There are some great players available at 36 and 67. In fact I think it's just as likely that Pace trades down from 36 rather than trading up.

If you don't like QB at 3 and you don't want to use picks trading back into the first round, then just take the best players when you pick, build the roster up, and take one in 2018.

I would hate it initially but could probably get my head around it eventually, unless Watson or Trubisky looks legit right out of the blocks.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree with the "get the top guy or don't bother" logic also. If he passes on QB this year though, and Glennon sucks, he's going to almost have to go for one next year and make his draft situation fit the QB. This year he has the pick and the freedom to take any one he likes. I just think it will be a mistake not to take Watson or Trubisky, unless he really doesn't see them as franchise players.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Matt Miller was on the score a little while ago and said that a lot of the tier 2 RBs said that the Bears showed the most interest of all teams. Miller said that from what he has heard, he wouldn't be surprised if the Bears drafted a RB as early as the 2nd round.