Glennon, Hoyer, Peterman, Kaaya

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
They are all the same.

I would love to have some hope. I don't even care if it is fucking false hope. I would like to enter a season knowing that we aren't going to be slugging it out to go 8-8 and have no chance of sniffing the playoffs.

Let's get a game manager in here, we will play defense and run the ball and maybe just maybe once a decade we can slip into the playoffs.

Fuck that. Spent 20 years of my life watching that shit.

You had that false hope with Cutler and you know it. When we were 8-8 going into 2014, you had hope. When we got Fox and Fangio going into 2015, you had hope.

It's not false hope you are looking for. It's results. Don't confuse the two.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
If pace is wrong about Glennon we are royally screwed if he does not draft a legit qb prospect. That's why I'm starting to believe more and more a QB is the pick at 3 or 36 I'm ok with either but we have to have something better up and coming

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We have the third pick, there has to be a franchise QB in the draft this year, there just has to be! Because if not that would be unfair to the Bears and their fans.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I think at best Glennon is going to give us a Cutler level of production. Maybe fewer crippling turnovers.

Im glad you said "at best".

Because he's generally considered a down grade

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
List of QBs taken by round since 1990...

2 drafted in 1st round
0 drafted in 2nd round
1 drafted in 3rd round
2 drafted in 4th round
2 drafted in 5th round
2 drafted in 6th round
2 drafted in 7th round

So that's three QBs taken in the top three rounds in the last 26 drafts.

If you think that is a reasonable investment in the most important position in sports, I don't know what to tell you.
This has to be the biggest indictment of the Chicago bears I've ever seen. If it's true, that's 11 QBs drafted in 27 years (13 if you wanna count Cutler and Mirer). Holy shit...

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Glennon doesn't have Cutler's yards & TD potential, but on the other hand he's not prone to crippling TOs, as already said, he's something between poor mans Flacco (as best case scenario) and mediocre game manager like Hoyer/McCown (as worst case scenario).

Btw. it will be funny to remember what some people around here were saying if 5 years down the road Kaaya ends up being the best QB from this years draft class.
Bottom line is, if you have adequate arm quality/talent, everything else can be coached if you're willing student of the game, on the other hand, if arm (passing ability, field vision and accuracy) is a suspect, there are no "intangibles" or physical talent that can make you a quality NFL starting QB.

Madden

Liked Posts:
I think it's funny how none of the mock draft guys have us picking a QB at #3. It's only been a need for us since the beginning of time. Basically we are guaranteed one of Trubisky, Watson, or Mahomes. Pull the trigger on one of them. If Pace passes on a QB at #3, then doesn't trade back up in the 1st round, those top rated guys will be gone before our 2nd round pick.

We could get lucky and have one of the tier 2 guys break out, but the odds aren't that great.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's funny how none of the mock draft guys have us picking a QB at #3. It's only been a need for us since the beginning of time. Basically we are guaranteed one of Trubisky, Watson, or Mahomes. Pull the trigger on one of them. If Pace passes on a QB at #3, then doesn't trade back up in the 1st round, those top rated guys will be gone before our 2nd round pick.

We could get lucky and have one of the tier 2 guys break out, but the odds aren't that great.

There is a LOT of group think in mock drafting. Also in scouting, but even more so in mock drafting.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
My poor writing.

I just cannot understand how people think adding a 3rd or 4th round pick at QB is the neccassery investment to get the position right.

I also struggle with the people who somehow think singing a 15 million dollar shot in the dark should preclude the Bears from also using a high pick at the position.

I actually give Angelo a ton of credit for taking swings.

Don't you also give him credit for putting the Bears in their current situation by having awful drafts? In a draft where none of the top QB's are a lock, then what would be wrong with a kaaya or peterman? Nothing is for sure with these guys, trubisky or Watson could bust just as easily as a kaaya or peterman in the 2/3 could breakout.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Glennon doesn't have Cutler's yards & TD potential, but on the other hand he's not prone to crippling TOs, as already said, he's something between poor mans Flacco (as best case scenario) and mediocre game manager like Hoyer/McCown (as worst case scenario).

Btw. it will be funny to remember what some people around here were saying if 5 years down the road Kaaya ends up being the best QB from this years draft class.
Bottom line is, if you have adequate arm quality/talent, everything else can be coached if you're willing student of the game, on the other hand, if arm (passing ability, field vision and accuracy) is a suspect, there are no "intangibles" or physical talent that can make you a quality NFL starting QB.

What???? Cutler has thrown over 4000 yards one time in his 11 year career and his most TD's in a season is 27. Glennon can absolutely hit those numbers.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
This has to be the biggest indictment of the Chicago bears I've ever seen. If it's true, that's 11 QBs drafted in 27 years (13 if you wanna count Cutler and Mirer). Holy shit...

Ginny and her Special person offspring still think the only way to win a SB is with a dominating running back... Over that exact same period of time the Bears have drafted 21 RB's. including (3) very early first round picks, (2) 2nd round picks, and (5) 3rd + 4th round picks.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ginny and her Special person offspring still think the only way to win a SB is with a dominating running back... Over that exact same period of time the Bears have drafted 21 RB's. including (3) very early first round picks, (2) 2nd round picks, and (5) 3rd + 4th round picks.

I prefer a dominating D over a dominating RB, but man we need to finally get a QB worth something. We're fucking WAAAAAAAAAAAY overdue!

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Clearly Pace wanted Glennon as his starting QB. he tried to trade for him last year and he outbid everybody else by alot.
Just maybe Pace and all his scouts came to the conclusion that all the QBs in this years draft were shit or at the very least no better than Glennon.
You all want to trust his judgement if he drafts a QB at 3, but question his judgement on signing Glennon to start.
i dont get it.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
That would seem true if I were ignorant of the fact that they also traded a 1 for Mirer and 2 1's for Cutler. Again they have tried, the just have suck really bad at it.

I don't know that i'd consider those as investing in the QB position really. More like, "We're too scared to draft a QB high, and we wouldn't know how to develop one even if we did, so let's just trade for someone elses."

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't know that i'd consider those as investing in the QB position really. More like, "We're too scared to draft a QB high, and we wouldn't know how to develop one even if we did, so let's just trade for someone elses."

So, if they had some how miraculously traded for Brady/Brees/Manning in their primes and had a stud QB for a decade, that wouldn't have been an investment in the position? Or does it only not count as an investment if the guys don't work out?

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
So, if they had some how miraculously traded for Brady/Brees/Manning in their primes and had a stud QB for a decade, that wouldn't have been an investment in the position? Or does it only not count as an investment if the guys don't work out?

That's not even analogous. Neither Mirer or Cutler were anywhere near Brady/Brees/Manning in their primes. A better comparison would be if we traded for Garrapolo this year, who is equally as unproven as Mirer/Cutler were. And yeah, i'd still say that was a band aid and not a real fix because each of these guys was/would be traded for a reason, and the reason isn't because they were HOF QBs.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

That would seem true if I were ignorant of the fact that they also traded a 1 for Mirer and 2 1's for Cutler. Again they have tried, the just have suck really bad at it.

I don't know where this comes from. I certainly count trading for QBs as a swing.

But when you look at all the attempts to address the QB position, they essentially amount to the following since 1987 when we drafted Harbaugh...

First round picks
2003 - Grossman
1999 - McNown
2009/10 - Cutler (trade)
1997 - Mirer (trade)

Third round picks
2005 - Orton

That's FIVE legitimate attempts in almost THIRTY years. During this time, we've had ZERO pro bowlers at the position. There is no getting away from the fact that the Bears have not only been terrible at identifying talent at QB but they have also taken a swing on average every six years. This idea that we've tried to find a QB but are just bad at it does not stand up to scrutiny.

I welcome any analysis that defends the above incompetence.

I think they have done the most they could this off season so far. They finally moved on fromCutler, they went out and got the only FA QB that was feasible, if they draft a Watson, or Trubisky, then are you all going to continue to whine and bitch, like little girls?

Honestly, this moaning and bitching is starting to get old.

Correct. IF they draft any of the four QBs that have a shot, then I will be very happy that a GM has finally recognised the importance of the position.

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to wait til later rounds to get a qb, but going and saying kaaya or peterman will be a hoyer is nonsense. Same way that people guaranteeing one of the top guys will be a Rodgers. We don't know who is going to turn out. Kaaya might be great, who knows

The chances of the QBs making it as a top 10 QB go down pretty drastically after Kizer at QB4. No-one has any guarantees obviously. But few would argue that Watson doesn't have a better chance of becoming an elite QB than Peterman. Otherwise Peterman would be a first rounder. I'll take the guy with the biggest chance to succeed regardless of value.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

Giving up what we did for Cutler was not viewed as a true risk at the time. Any team who needed a QB were in the talks and weighing it out. We were just the only team who threw stupid "money"/value at it.

BTW, we did that again with Glennon... We paid twice what any other team was willing to pay.

I think the point is the Bears took what they felt was a low risk, high cost, chance.

The Bears are not cheap. They are dumb.

What ended up happening... It failed.

Let's hope Pace, by spending what he did on Glennon, and calling him the starter,, won't fail.