what if Trubisky

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Glennon will be gone after 2017 unless he loses his mind.

Trubisky should be given 2 full years to show improvement and that he is a starter.

Whether a QB is brought in depends on the relationship Trubisky and Sanchez have. If Sanchez is a positive for Trubisky I keep Sanchez and maybe draft a late round guy for Sanchez to tutor as well.

I would hope he gets the entirety of his rookie deal to prove what he is. Obviously you should see flashes in the first two years but with the rookie wage scale it doesn't hurt to let him see out his first contract before deciding his future.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We should prop Glennon up for a yr. ( unless trubs, beats him out) and try to get a draft pick in 2018.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
What if scenario ...

Ok so let's say Glennon starts all of the 2017 season and is simply average with a losing record and the plan all along is to put Trubisky in as the starter in 2018 and cut ties with Glennon as soon as the season ends. First of all does Pace sign another veteran or draft another QB in the 2018 draft to back up Trubisky? Second ... What if Trubisky has a lousy 2018 season? How long do you think it'll be before Ryan Pace brings in competition at the QB position, if he hasn't done so already at that point? How long will they give Trubisky before they give up on him and move on elsewhere, if he simply demonstrates that he is not the answer? And if that is the case, does Pace get fired or does he get another chance at another QB? I'm thinking they're gonna go about this very carefully and try and set Trubisky up for success and they won't rush him along too quickly, but eventually the truth will be out there and he's either going to show that he's it or not. I want to be as positive about it as I can be, but there's so much at stake here and there are all these what ifs that it could go any number of ways, but I don't want to see them go about it the same way as they did Cutler and keep him here way too long and keep trying to convince yourself that he's gonna come around and be that guy and never does. Here's to hoping that he's the next big star quarterback and the only thing we gotta worry about is building the rest of the team up around him in order to win championships here in Chicago!

I do not believe that a quarterback gets experience by sitting on the bench. I feel he needs to play.

The question is when do you play him.

I think unless Glennon is absolutely destroying it, which I just don't see happening, Trubisky should be given a shot after the bye.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do not believe that a quarterback gets experience by sitting on the bench. I feel he needs to play.

The question is when do you play him.

I think unless Glennon is absolutely destroying it, which I just don't see happening, Trubisky should be given a shot after the bye.

100% agree. People used the fact that Trubisky only started 13 games in college to criticize him. The one thing he needs more than any is playing time.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What if;

Trubisky rides the pine for the first season and then what if he's like a Russell Wilson mixed with Aaron Rodgers type with the mobility and accuracy on the run in either direction? And what if he then became like the best QB the Bears have ever had in like ever and it only takes like 4 years including the riding the pine year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
What if scenario ...

Ok so let's say Glennon starts all of the 2017 season and is simply average with a losing record and the plan all along is to put Trubisky in as the starter in 2018 and cut ties with Glennon as soon as the season ends. First of all does Pace sign another veteran or draft another QB in the 2018 draft to back up Trubisky? Second ... What if Trubisky has a lousy 2018 season? How long do you think it'll be before Ryan Pace brings in competition at the QB position, if he hasn't done so already at that point? How long will they give Trubisky before they give up on him and move on elsewhere, if he simply demonstrates that he is not the answer? And if that is the case, does Pace get fired or does he get another chance at another QB? I'm thinking they're gonna go about this very carefully and try and set Trubisky up for success and they won't rush him along too quickly, but eventually the truth will be out there and he's either going to show that he's it or not. I want to be as positive about it as I can be, but there's so much at stake here and there are all these what ifs that it could go any number of ways, but I don't want to see them go about it the same way as they did Cutler and keep him here way too long and keep trying to convince yourself that he's gonna come around and be that guy and never does. Here's to hoping that he's the next big star quarterback and the only thing we gotta worry about is building the rest of the team up around him in order to win championships here in Chicago!

This has been my biggest issue with our trade/pick above all else... For a team that needs SO much; why push in the chips like a 3rd year GM is doing, not to mention the pick forfeiture (which we don't need to rehash) in THIS draft for a QB???

I really hope Pace & Co. know something that the rest of us don't, but that's a big pill to swallow on a 13 start ACC QB when there WILL be more to look at in next year's draft.

And speaking of next year's draft...presumably since Pace went QB NOW....it's only NEXT year that he'd have anybody worth throwing to (hopefully) anyway. Except no 3rd round, of course. So Trubs will be a pro level redshirt AGAIN and will HOPEFULLY have some talent to work with IF there are some signings and good draft moves.....

I dunno....

I really hope Trubs is the shiite, but I have very little actual faith Pace knows what he's doing. If it were me, I'd have tried to put a little more around a young QB first, not to mention going for one LATER that has shown more.

Hope I'm totally wrong, though.

TL;DR version:

Pace shot is wad prematurely.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Good reason to make sure Trub gets some real play time before the season is over.

If he looks real good I pick up a non-first round QB in '18. If he looks bad to average I trade the farm (you think 2-3s & a 4th is big, you ain't seen nothing yet) to get the highest rated QB I could. Then have competition.
Let it be known I'd listen to offers for Trub if he doesn't win the competition or we have a backup.

After that it depends on the contracts. I'm guessing they could be structured to not be in a dire need to dump either until 5th year. Always open to listen to trades.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Good reason to make sure Trub gets some real play time before the season is over.

If he looks real good I pick up a non-first round QB in '18. If he looks bad to average I trade the farm (you think 2-3s & a 4th is big, you ain't seen nothing yet) to get the highest rated QB I could. Then have competition.
Let it be known I'd listen to offers for Trub if he doesn't win the competition or we have a backup.

After that it depends on the contracts. I'm guessing they could be structured to not be in a dire need to dump either until 5th year. Always open to listen to trades.

I believe it'd be pretty stupid to get another top ranked quarterback in the 1st round in back to back drafts like that. Trade down the 1st round pick, get at least that 3rd round pick back and get your second quarterback right there with your third round pick. Bam you've got yourself some good insurance in case Trubisky don't work out. Hopefully at least one of them would work out. But the case for Glennon just isn't there for multiple reasons and one of those is the big money he'd be making next year to be a backup. If you don't allow Trubisky to start his second year, that'll be one year of starting in college and two years sitting on the bench in the NFL. That's just too much time sitting on the bench without actual game time. It's like this everybody complaining bout him only starting 13 games in college well gee what have you done in the last 5 years, Mitchell Trubisky? Started 13 games in college and sat on the bench all the rest of the time.

mecha

Liked Posts:
what if Glennon does well and they flip him for draft picks later, Trubs gets his shot, and they draft another QB in the 1st next year?

I can play this game too.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I believe it'd be pretty stupid to get another top ranked quarterback in the 1st round in back to back drafts like that. Trade down the 1st round pick, get at least that 3rd round pick back and get your second quarterback right there with your third round pick. Bam you've got yourself some good insurance in case Trubisky don't work out. Hopefully at least one of them would work out. But the case for Glennon just isn't there for multiple reasons and one of those is the big money he'd be making next year to be a backup. If you don't allow Trubisky to start his second year, that'll be one year of starting in college and two years sitting on the bench in the NFL. That's just too much time sitting on the bench without actual game time. It's like this everybody complaining bout him only starting 13 games in college well gee what have you done in the last 5 years, Mitchell Trubisky? Started 13 games in college and sat on the bench all the rest of the time.

I'm saying get a top QB if Trubisky is looking like he'd be a backup or bust by the end of next year, not if he's looking promising. That way you don't parade the suck to kill any trade value. If the stacked class comes true and a good one falls to us it could be sold as BPA, now we have an extra up for grabs.
If he still looks promising sure grab a lower round QB if worthy or bring in another washed up vet.
I agree, Glennon is gone after next year. If he's still here it's to sit behind Trubisky and that costs too much.

I'd say if Trub isn't starting 2019 he's on his way to being a bust.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I really wish Trubisky could start. Not saying he will be better than Glennon, (I can only hope so) but why not start him now and get the reps that he badly needs. Worked for Peyton Manning. Why not chance it and see if it works for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I'm saying get a top QB if Trubisky is looking like he'd be a backup or bust by the end of next year, not if he's looking promising. That way you don't parade the suck to kill any trade value. If the stacked class comes true and a good one falls to us it could be sold as BPA, now we have an extra up for grabs.
If he still looks promising sure grab a lower round QB if worthy or bring in another washed up vet.
I agree, Glennon is gone after next year. If he's still here it's to sit behind Trubisky and that costs too much.

I'd say if Trub isn't starting 2019 he's on his way to being a bust.

Pretty sure Trubisky will get more than a year before they look into other long-term options. Imagine if the Colts said nah that Peyton Manning kid just threw 28 picks we better go get Tim Couch or Dante Culpepper next year.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
What is this gone by year 2 stuff? He has a 4 year deal presumably, with a 5th year team option. So he'll be here at least 4 years. They're not bringing in another top QB during that time, they'll build around Trubisky the next couple drafts. This whole process is gonna take awhile, what's the rush?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
this is why you try to build the team up before sticking the young quarterback in there eg what the cowboys did with prescott. there is A TON of pressure on MT and there will be plenty of pressure to play him before he is ready. the defense still sucks. the wide receivers still suck. and the o line is questionable still with the tackle situation. the bears are going about it the wrong way and i don't see it ending well. hope I'm wrong.

I don't think the offense is *that* questionable. The interior OL is pretty good and Howard is a very capable RB. WR leaves some large questions and your tackle situation could be better but the team isn't totally devoid of talent especially if the TE they drafted comes along. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the bears are going to be particularly great next year but if White is healthy he could make a big impact. And if he does then you go into the 2018 draft looking for a #2 WR and some OT's. That's hardly starting from scratch.

As for the defense, that doesn't really matter in my eyes in terms of QB play. It obviously matters in W/L terms but plenty of good young QB's played on teams with terrible defenses. The worry is more you're Derrick Carr getting destroyed by terrible OL's in Houston and getting gun shy. Bears still need some help but I don't think their offense is that bad.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure Trubisky will get more than a year before they look into other long-term options. Imagine if the Colts said nah that Peyton Manning kid just threw 28 picks we better go get Tim Couch or Dante Culpepper next year.

I get that. Just don't want to get into another "Rex is our QB" forever.

I'd say I don't want to get into the 90's Bears trying a player for one game, except none of those QBs were worthy of trying for longer.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
What is this gone by year 2 stuff? He has a 4 year deal presumably, with a 5th year team option. So he'll be here at least 4 years. They're not bringing in another top QB during that time, they'll build around Trubisky the next couple drafts. This whole process is gonna take awhile, what's the rush?

Why would you keep a mistake that long with the new rules saying you don't take a hit like you used to?

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can play this game too.
What if the bears are in position to take an Andrew Luck type prospect next year? I think there is a plausible scenario where this happens next year. Do you trade MT? Or trade the pick for someone's next two drafts?

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
What if the bears are in position to take an Andrew Luck type prospect next year? I think there is a plausible scenario where this happens next year. Do you trade MT? Or trade the pick for someone's next two drafts?

That too. Always look to upgrade a position. It doesn't matter if the player had no time or not.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:

Oh but can you even imagine the fan reaction, if he threw that many picks? Think it's bad now lol it'd be a hundred times worse.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Oh but can you even imagine the fan reaction, if he threw that many picks? Think it's bad now lol it'd be a hundred times worse.

That's my 2nd biggest fear. So many seem to think the high pick will start right out of college and play great.
1st biggest fear is the #2 pick is used to keep a garbage QB for 10 years.