The Mike Glennon Conundrum

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Most of the things you stated every rookie has to deal with. No QB is 100% mechanically correct so they all have something to fix.

His biggest issue will be taking snaps under center and turning his back to the defense.

I didn't say these things were unique to him. I said the same thing about Watson in the Watson thread when people were hyping him up as the next Prescott.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Coming out of college, Carson Wentz had more issues than you could fit into a book.

You say that as if Wentz had a great year last year. I would argue he regressed and some of that regression is over time your mechanics and all these things you just recently learned fall by the wayside as the pressure mounts. You start to get back into your bad habits.

I wouldn't say Wentz was ready to start last year when he did.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Best scenario

Gelnnon plays amazing thru 8 games leading bears to a 5-3 record but an ankle injury forces him to miss the rest of the season and trubisky takes over, plays well but we miss the playoffs at 9-7

In the off-season pace trades gelnnon to sf for our 3rd and their 2nd.
The media sucks lynch dick again for such an awesome move. Led by glennon-barkley-bethard the niners go 0-16 when reality hits and all those qb suck ass

Meanwhile the bears load up with the niners picks and win the north under trubisky!

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aaron Rodgers has been running the same offense his whole career. He knows every play like the back of his hand because of it. He knows what will work as soon as he gets to the line & reads the Defense. Last thing we need is to screw this kid up like what we did with Cutler. Cutler had 5-6 offensive coordinators in 6-7 years. Bears need to find their next coach...John Fox needs to go imo.

Nobody screwed Cutler up other than a bad attitude and inflated ego.

This MB has taken an overwhelming liking to popular narratives. Not really hard for a QB to learn different systems. I know people like you like to think a guy like Rodgers is lucky to only have been in that 1 system but a lot of what he does is improvised anyway. People act like there's a million different plays and each system has thousands of their own. It's not that difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You say that as if Wentz had a great year last year. I would argue he regressed and some of that regression is over time your mechanics and all these things you just recently learned fall by the wayside as the pressure mounts. You start to get back into your bad habits.

That's correct. Everyone was all over his jock because he played well against the Bears and Pederson's scheme allowed him to nickel & dime his way down the field...until the league caught on and his down field passing was exposed along with his deep accuracy issues. I'd be worried if I was an Eagles fan.

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Nobody screwed Cutler up other than a bad attitude and inflated ego.

This MB has taken an overwhelming liking to popular narratives. Not really hard for a QB to learn different systems. I know people like you like to think a guy like Rodgers is lucky to only have been in that 1 system but a lot of what he does is improvised anyway. People act like there's a million different plays and each system has thousands of their own. It's not that difficult.

That's why I thought Martz's "STFU DO IT MY WAY" approach was best for Cutler.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
Glennon can easily keep the job if he plays good. Trubisky is a cheap insurance policy. Its about winning games not players feelings. If Glennon lights it up and Bears are a playoff caliber team then Trubisky isnt gonna see the field. The odds of the Bears making playoffs 3 years in a row with Glennon healty and putting up #s are slim tho.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's correct. Everyone was all over his jock because he played well against the Bears and Pederson's scheme allowed him to nickel & dime his way down the field...until the league caught on and his down field passing was exposed along with his deep accuracy issues. I'd be worried if I was an Eagles fan.

I'd see what he gives you this coming season with good weapons now. If he doesn't improve much then I'd worry.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You forgot the ultimate dream scenario.

SCENARIO #4-STEP IN SHIT AND COME OUT SMELLING LIKE A ROSE.
shitt.gif~c200

-Glennon starts the season and looks above average, maybe even a bit better. Game 5 he sustains a strained hammy.
-Trubisky comes in and Wally Pipps Glennon.

Pros:
-Glennon shows he has value giving the Bears trade value
-Trubisky gets to see a few games before hitting the floor running.

Cons:
-None

The Jimmy Garoppolo!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scenario #4 Glennon plays far better than everyone expects.

Pros:
It would be great to have two QB's with value, specifically trade value, on the team
We win games that no one gives us a chance to win
Allows Trubs to have all the time he needs to develop

Cons:
I cannot think of any.

There's a better chance Bannon would pledge his support for unlimited funding for planned parenthood.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You're absolutely right. After only a few games, Wentz regressed back to the guy he was coming out of college. But what I am saying is that I believe Trubisky is much more NFL ready than Wentz was.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe the sooner Mitchell Trubisky plays the better. The analysts liked to lump all of the QB's together in the "needs to sit" category, but Trubisky is not a developmental QB. There will eventually become a tipping point in his progression after he learns the offense where every game he misses starts becoming a negative................................

Or do you just bite the bullet and keep both Glennon and Trubisky? For Trubisky, he will be 24 years old and have had only 13 starts in the past 4 years. Can the Bears really afford to keep their #2 pick QB sitting on the bench to start the 2018 season? Or what about the other way around. Could the Bears just keep Glennon as the backup QB? Maybe. But it might just be too ridiculous to keep a 16 mill backup QB. Also, after an impressive year, Glennon will expect to start. If not for the Bears, for another team. Glennon is not going to just sit idly by while the Bears bench him after a solid season. He will likely demand a trade. And such a QB controversy could become toxic.

A more interesting scenario......

Glennon come in and either stinks up the place or gets injured. By week 8-9, MT is starting and he doesn't look good, not at all.

Bears end up with the number 1 or 2 draft pick for 2018.

What do they do?

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no conundrum. You give them both equal opportunity to win the job in TC see how it shakes out. If Glennon can't beat the kid out for the job he doesn't deserve to start.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no conundrum. You give them both equal opportunity to win the job in TC see how it shakes out. If Glennon can't beat the kid out for the job he doesn't deserve to start.

Do you think MT will receive any significant time with the ones in the preseason?

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you think MT will receive any significant time with the ones in the preseason?
Glennon has done literally nothing in this league to warrant the coddling Cutler received here so IMO there's no reason to anoint him the unquestioned starter and give him all the 1st team reps. No clue what Fox will do but if he doesn't give Trubisky a legit shot to earn the job with the 1s he's doing this team a disservice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glennon has done literally nothing in this league to warrant the coddling Cutler received here so IMO there's no reason to anoint him the unquestioned starter and give him all the 1st team reps. No clue what Fox will do but if he doesn't give Trubisky a legit shot to earn the job with the 1s he's doing this team a disservice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This will be interesting to follow in pre-season. While I agree with you, I doubt MT gets much time with the ones, at least not in the pre-season games....we will see.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm having a very hard time believing Trubisky gets a 50/50 shot at the starting job in training camp.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is no equal opportunity here. Glennon has played in the league. Trubisky has not. So Glennon plays with the 1s and only if he falters and/or Trubiksy looks amazing with the 2s do you give Trubiksy time with the 1s. In games that is.

Trubiksy is the one that has to earn more PT with the 1s IMO. That's the point of signing Glennon.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no equal opportunity here. Glennon has played in the league. Trubisky has not. So Glennon plays with the 1s and only if he falters and/or Trubiksy looks amazing with the 2s do you give Trubiksy time with the 1s. In games that is.

Trubiksy is the one that has to earn more PT with the 1s IMO. That's the point of signing Glennon.
I've seen this played out before. Shame on you peeps who don't see what's coming. Glennon was not brought in to win. We already know he can't do that. He is nothing more than a severely overpaid bridge. Trubisky is the new QB to be coddled. You'll see him start at some point this coming season and then for the next 3 or 4 years no matter how well he does or doesn't play. Let's just hope the long necked freak isn't a bridge to nowhere.