Bears sign Dan Skuta to one year deal.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Yep, think the fact that Skuta has an existing connection to Fangio, plus Houston's contract and the ST contribution probably add up to Houston leaving.

It's a shame because I like the guy and think he's a good player but I don't see a way they keep him now.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Desbro will be upset, losing Cutty and Houston in the same offseason.

Having said that, isn't it time he was allowed back? With no Jay for him to Jay on, he should be fine. No?

Liked Posts:
Skuta is an a$$hole.... he was arrested for pushing a womens face through a window after she wouldn't give him her phone number. WOW im suprised you guys like this move so much

Most, if not all of you wanted nothing to do with Joe Mixon.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Skuta is an a$$hole.... he was arrested for pushing a womens face through a window after she wouldn't give him her phone number. WOW im suprised you guys like this move so much

Most, if not all of you wanted nothing to do with Joe Mixon.

Yeah, people are absolutely stoked about this signing.

It's like we're not even reading the same thread.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Skuta was the final piece, maybe the fans here that wanted to build up the entire team before we got a quarterback will be sated..

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
regarding his incident ....

Jacksonville Jaguars linebacker Dan Skuta will not face charges stemming from his arrest last month on suspicion of first-degree misdemeanor battery, according to court documents released by the Orange County (Florida) District Attorney's Office.

In the decision to not press charges, Assistant State Attorney Natalie Lord wrote: "From the investigation which has been made, it is the opinion of the writer that this case is not suitable for prosecution."

Skuta was arrested June 19 after he allegedly pushed a woman in the face and caused her head to hit a glass window in an Orlando bar, police told the Associated Press. At the time of his arrest, Orlando police said Skuta had alcohol on his breath and bloodshot eyes.

Shortly after Skuta's arrest, his attorney, Mark NeJame, told the Associated Press he was "confident this will be resolved favorably to Dan, and the truth will come out as to his innocence and non-involvement."

Skuta, 30, arrived in Jacksonville as a free agent last spring after two seasons in San Francisco and four in Cincinnati. Skuta is set to battle second-round pick Myles Jack for a spot at outside linebacker this season after logging 31 tackles over 13 games in 2015.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...a-wont-be-charged-in-alleged-battery-incident

Liked Posts:
Sounds like he paid her off....get rid of this bum. Hes 31, and not even a good enough player to take a chance on

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
White Sam Acho. I'd imagine Skuta, Acho and Christian Jones are fighting for 1 maybe 2, spots. All 3 can play OLB and ILB in a 3-4 defense. None will probably overwhelm the others with pass rush skills. Acho is probably the best pass rusher, run defender, pass defender, and special teamer of the 3, so those guys will have an uphill battle to beat him. Jones has youth on his side. Skuta probably a little more capable as a 2-down ILB until Trevathan gets back.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The police can say what they want. Opinion isn't very admissible in a hearing. It's more depth and competition. I don't see Acho leaving, and they are pretty set at ILB in their base.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
White Sam Acho. I'd imagine Skuta, Acho and Christian Jones are fighting for 1 maybe 2, spots. All 3 can play OLB and ILB in a 3-4 defense. None will probably overwhelm the others with pass rush skills. Acho is probably the best pass rusher, run defender, pass defender, and special teamer of the 3, so those guys will have an uphill battle to beat him. Jones has youth on his side. Skuta probably a little more capable as a 2-down ILB until Trevathan gets back.

Can Acho play ILB?? I wouldn't think he can but i know C.Jones can cause he did last year and i know Skuta can. I see C.Jones making it as a backup ILB and Acho and Shuta going at it for a backup OLB spot. Who knows what they'll do but after going over who i think the final roster will be in the final roster thread i know people that i want to be on the team aren't gonna make it cause there just isn't enough spots.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
ILB in a 34 is probably his more natural position. He's an all around sort of guy. I haven't really seen Skuta play much, but he's obviously a tackler. I'd say he has a good chance of sticking.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
ILB in a 34 is probably his more natural position. He's an all around sort of guy. I haven't really seen Skuta play much, but he's obviously a tackler. I'd say he has a good chance of sticking.

His stint with the Jags was very underwhelming. His best years were with the 49ers at OLB under Fangio. IMO, he is depth that makes Houston and his $8 Mil very cutable.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I think this is why he was signed. Trevathan may not be ready to start the season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has never played ILB.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Probably means the end for Houston.

He will play more special teams than Houston. 4 OLBs that don't play specials would be a weird roster set up.

I don't see this move affecting Houston at all. Skuta is a ST signing and unless someone significant gets cut who would require money to be freed up there is no point in getting rid of a pass rusher on a team that could use more.

Houston had more sacks in 2015 than Skuta has in his career. I'd rather see him coming in with fresh legs than Skuta and Acho.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I actually think this could be a good signing for a backup role and could even see him taking S.Acho's job.

Do you ever think the Bears make a bad move?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He has never played ILB.

Doesn't mean he can't. He profiles more as an ILB than an OLB, despite playing OLB in a 3-4. He's played SAM in a 4-3 more than he's played OLB in a 3-4 (only 2 seasons in a 3-4).