People mad at QB pick, disguise it as anger for the trade-up

Toast88

Liked Posts:
This is something I haven't seen touched on since the draft, although I find it very true.

If you listen to the local talk show hosts, callers and national guys, they largely echo the same point: Yes, the Bears needed a QB for the future, but the Bears gave up way too much. "We don't object to the Bears getting the best quarterback in the class. We object to them giving up so many picks, especially when maybe they didn't need to in order to get Trubisky" they all are saying.

I call bullshit. When you see Bears fans negative reactions and you have them recount what they were thinking throughout the process, they all say, "When Goodell announced Trubisky I (fill in the blank)".

This disproves their assertion that it's about giving up the picks for them, not about the Bears getting a QB. I've heard very few Bears fans, analysts, etc., say, "When Goodell announced the tradeup, I was so angry." This speaks volumes.

I believe this shows Bears fans, by and large, have become battered women. They've been beaten around so much by the franchise that there's some psychological satisfaction in being deficient at the QB position, just as the Bears have been their whole life. These people don't want to take any chances on a QB, because then that means there's a chance they might lose their comforting status as a starved fan base.

Why do women go back to their abusive boyfriends? Why do Bears fans always come back to the franchise.

They can't admit this, though, not even to themselves.

They weren't mad at the pick until Trubisky was picked and not before. Their own stories prove this, even as they pretend to deny it. Mark my words, if that pick had been some fucking rando O-lineman, these meatball jackasses would've loved it.

Run away as soon as you can, Mitch. You were there as fans booed you as you were introduced at the United Center. This fan base doesn't deserve a good QB. Hell, they don't even want one.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Whew.... I was almost getting the hives since it's been almost 30 seconds since a thread like this was created.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Whew.... I was almost getting the hives since it's been almost 30 seconds since a thread like this was created.

I haven't seen any threads about Bears fans disguising their anger at the QB pick as anger for the trade-up, so not sure what you're talking about. This isn't a post about whether the Trubisky pick was good. This is a post about whether and why people lied about their reaction to the pick.

Nicker

Liked Posts:
While I think the battered woman analogy is a bit of a stretch, I do agree with the premise. I Heard mike Wilbon comment on waddle and silvy and he sounded like a meatball fan that didn't get the qb he wanted. With no clear cut number 1 QB in the medias eyes, I think this kind of comes with the territory.

What I can't get past is that the biggest argument against trubisky is that he only started one year. I understand the sample size is small, but he did play well in relief his previous 2 years and it appears politics played a role in him not starting sooner.

To take it a step further, I think there's an argument to be made that says if he did come back and replicate his 2016 season in 2017, he'd likely have been the number 1 QB in a pretty good class and chances are the Bears would have no shot at him.

Time will tell of course, but I applaud the bears for having conviction and getting their guy while doubling down on their chances for success by getting the top available young free agent QB as well.

If it works out, the bears will be set for the next decade, if not, pace and company will be gone and we'll be right back where we started and we won't have to rely on pace to be the GM(and since the same people that hate the pick, think pace is a fool, this is a win for them if he fails).

The NFL is a QB league. I hate how the league has turned to that, but it is what it is, without one, long term success is nearly impossible and they have done all they could to get a QB of the future given the resources they had this offseason all with out sacrificing much in next years draft.

laputan

Liked Posts:
igor_irr_2297.jpg

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven't seen any threads about Bears fans disguising their anger at the QB pick as anger for the trade-up, so not sure what you're talking about. This isn't a post about whether the Trubisky pick was good. This is a post about whether and why people lied about their reaction to the pick.

It seems like almost all of the Watson fans are now sporting Trubisky avatars. I was a Kizer guy, but Trubisky was my 2nd choice and I actually expected the Bears to draft him. The reason I debate the issue is because of the over saturation of posts and threads proclaiming Pace is a genius moving up. Whenever something gets out of control positive or negative, I tend to examine the other side of the issue.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
It seems like almost all of the Watson fans are now sporting Trubisky avatars. I was a Kizer guy, but Trubisky was my 2nd choice and I actually expected the Bears to draft him. The reason I debate the issue is because of the over saturation of posts and threads proclaiming Pace is a genius moving up. Whenever something gets out of control positive or negative, I tend to examine the other side of the issue.

Got a link?

Almost all I have read say this can't be fully evaluated until you see the results of the draft.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Run away as soon as you can, Mitch. You were there as fans booed you as you were introduced at the United Center. This fan base doesn't deserve a good QB. Hell, they don't even want one.

Telling a guy who could come in and win to "run" is not a concept I support.

You're already picking a player, who hasn't played a down, over the team.

How about "Take this team and city by the balls and lead us to a Superbowl win?."

Did you want Rizzo to run? Bryant? Toews? Kane?

This stupid shit is why so many stupid fucking "fans" were making stupid ass posts that they hoped Jay would go to another team and win to prove us "haters" wrong.

I'll support Trubisky. Until he proves me wrong. At some point he will prove it one way or another.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Telling a guy who could come in and win to "run" is not a concept I support.

You're already picking a player, who hasn't played a down, over the team.

How about "Take this team and city by the balls and lead us to a Superbowl win?."

Did you want Rizzo to run? Bryant? Toews? Kane?

This stupid shit is why so many stupid fucking "fans" were making stupid ass posts that they hoped Jay would go to another team and win to prove us "haters" wrong.

I'll support Trubisky. Until he proves me wrong. At some point he will prove it one way or another.

I wouldn't mind if Toews ran right aboot now.

giphy.gif

ditka4life

Liked Posts:

Wow, you and Remy are both Kizer fans?

Who would have thought such geniuses would dislike Pace so much?

Pace was a genius for bluffing everyone and preventing a bidding war for the 2nd pick.

He didn't have to move up to 2, but it was a bargain compared to the Wentz deal.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What if you hate the pick and the trade-up and aren't trying to disguise anything?

I did not like the pick. As for the trade-up, that is suspect but small in relevance to the pick itself. If Trubisky fails, the trade-up will be a magnifier big time. if Trubisky does well, it will mean Pace will seem smart.

Bottom line. I think that Pace did not have a good draft and free agency. Too many holes not filled of importance and over-kill on others. The biggest mistake was absolutely Glennon who set the entire free agency off to a big fat failure.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nope

Rise

Liked Posts:
From fans I have talked to it has more to do with the Packers. They believe that Trubisky might be good, but he will never be better than Rodgers, so the way to have success is to create a monster defense to slow him down. My response is simply why can't they do that and have a good QB? The Bears have never been good without a top 5 defense, so fans identify that with winning. Since they have never had a team win because of the QB they don't value it like they should.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just cause you think the anger is a disguise for something else doesn't mean it is. Fans have seen a GM pay twice the market value for Glennon and take left over crap in free agency. Why shouldn't they be mad at another stupid Pace move?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I believe this shows Bears fans, by and large, have become battered women. They've been beaten around so much by the franchise that there's some psychological satisfaction in being deficient at the QB position, just as the Bears have been their whole life. These people don't want to take any chances on a QB, because then that means there's a chance they might lose their comforting status as a starved fan base.

I thought about this before the draft. Some posters were just completely opposed to even considering QB with the first pick, and I figured this was part of the psychopathology.

But now I just think a lot of people are easily spoon fed whatever the media says and/or simply don't understand the importance of getting the QB position right in terms of its worth compared to other picks.

This fan base doesn't deserve a good QB. Hell, they don't even want one.

This is hard to argue with. At least for a large portion of the fan base anyway. Some get it.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It seems like almost all of the Watson fans are now sporting Trubisky avatars.

I think that's because people weren't Watson fans or Kizer fans or Trubisky fans so much just Bears fans who want a successful QB, period. With a few exceptions, the vast majority of us who wanted a QB had our own order of preference, but much more importantly simply wanted Pace to identify HIS guy, and do whatever it takes to get him.

I've said it before, the split on this board leading up to the draft was not Watson guys vs Trubisky guys, but guys who wanted a QB vs guys who didn't.

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rather than psychoanalyze, look at it in a purely business sense. The team has many needs so no matter how willing you are to blow off 2 third rounders and a fourth, they could have been used to find much needed help for this team. Then you look at the QB class itself. There was no great, ready to go prospect but 3 interesting prospects with enough potential. There was a smart way to go about it and get a top QB with potential and keep all your picks and/or even get more or better picks. Given the QB class and the fact many teams who had interest in 1 of the QBs had already stated they wouldn't be reaching for 1, the move to make was a trade down.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rather than psychoanalyze, look at it in a purely business sense. The team has many needs so no matter how willing you are to blow off 2 third rounders and a fourth, they could have been used to find much needed help for this team. Then you look at the QB class itself. There was no great, ready to go prospect but 3 interesting prospects with enough potential. There was a smart way to go about it and get a top QB with potential and keep all your picks and/or even get more or better picks. Given the QB class and the fact many teams who had interest in 1 of the QBs had already stated they wouldn't be reaching for 1, the move to make was a trade down.

He didn't draft the QB class, he drafted a specific QB he saw as the future. If he didn't see the other QBs the same way, why would he settle for them? None of the positional depth you'd get with these mid round picks even move the meter in terms of impact compared to landing a franchise QB. All that matters is whether Trubisky is the answer or he isn't.