Swing Tackle?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Damn, I didn't even think about backup T. We have no one.

I believe the Bears will probably go LT in the first round next year to help protect our new QB. If we hit on a LT and everyone else stays healthy, we'd have a really sick O-line. Probably up there with Dallas among the best in the league.

Compton has 60 games and 10 starts under his belt and was the swing OT for the Falcons all last season.

He is the best swing OT they have had in years.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
OT might be the second most position the Bears show the most ineptitude.

In my memory over the last 20 years, the Bears have only had two decent Tackles. John Tait and James Williams. The Bears historically suck at drafting Tackle and it's supposed to be one of the "safer" positions to draft.

It is a position of need and at some point will need to be addressed long term hopefully next draft.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

In my memory over the last 20 years, the Bears have only had two decent Tackles. John Tait and James Williams. The Bears historically suck at drafting Tackle and it's supposed to be one of the "safer" positions to draft.

It is a position of need and at some point will need to be addressed long term hopefully next draft.

You could make an argument that Angelo invested more into the OT position than another spot on the roster. He missed far more than he hit, but it wasn't for a lack of effort.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Williams and Carimi. Brutal, brutal picks.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It just is not realistic to replace both of them. Unless you are spending money in free agency and a top draft pick.

Look at the Vikings who upgrade both tackle spots and are severely over paying 2 okay OTs.

For 2018 I'm thinking something along these lines:
- Morgan or Grasu take "the leap" and show capacity to start at G
- move Long to RT, Massie to swing tackle
- either draft LT in 1st round (McGlinchey) or resign Leno

Depth chart (starters in bold):
OT - 1st rounder/Leno, Long, Massie
G/C - Whitehair, Sitton, Morgan, Grasu, Kush

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace wants to find better than Leno he'll probably have to draft his replacement in round 1 or 2.....its not to say that Leno is all-world its that to almost guarantee an increase in play in the LT position you will have to go out and get a high draft pick. Drafting a replacement in the 3rd or beyond could net you someone equal to Leno which is a push and a waste of a pick.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wonder what would Cutler say about Bears OT quality (Leno & Massie).

All in all, Bears have mediocre OT's (Leno being better of two) whom both should be replaced in 2018 Offseason if a team wants to provide adequate protection to their QB of the future (Trubisky).
OK, Leno could be used in a swing tackle role, or as RT if he bulks up and gets more stronger.

Btw. considering 2018 Draft, I'm fairly certain Bears will again have Top 10 pick (possibly Top 5), so they should target premium positions like OT (Mike McGlinchey) or OLB (Arden Key) there (definitely not CB or WR).

Leno and Massie are the worst tandem of tackles in the NFL. Massie can at least run block. Both need TE support. Realistically, people on this board just fool themselves about the worth of certain positions on this football team or rather the LACK OF WORTH. I see people passing out stats on the lack of sacks given up as "proof" of the worth of our tackles. This is not proof of anything. Especially not after Cutler went down. CUtler held the ball longer than the two other guys after him trying to hit mid range and longer plays and got sacked and hit more. WIth the other two guys, it was all short shit and dump offs.

Maybe, and I say MAYBE, the Bears could become a decent offensive line if they moved Long to a tackle position and find a good guard to add to the line. Or move Whitehair to a tackle position which he played very well in college. Both have the talent to play tackle and tackle is harder to play than guard. But they need to replace one of those two offensive tackles at a minimum. Now I await the consistent barrage of shit leveled at me for criticizing the Bears once again.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Define sucks.

I think the people who think he sucks would only be happy with a top 5 LT.

No. He sucks because he is not a top 5 LT but rather is a BOTTOM 5 LT.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I've been saying this for those twenty years myself, Wookie:(

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno and Massie are the worst tandem of tackles in the NFL. Massie can at least run block. Both need TE support. Realistically, people on this board just fool themselves about the worth of certain positions on this football team or rather the LACK OF WORTH. I see people passing out stats on the lack of sacks given up as "proof" of the worth of our tackles. This is not proof of anything. Especially not after Cutler went down. CUtler held the ball longer than the two other guys after him trying to hit mid range and longer plays and got sacked and hit more. WIth the other two guys, it was all short shit and dump offs.

Maybe, and I say MAYBE, the Bears could become a decent offensive line if they moved Long to a tackle position and find a good guard to add to the line. Or move Whitehair to a tackle position which he played very well in college. Both have the talent to play tackle and tackle is harder to play than guard. But they need to replace one of those two offensive tackles at a minimum. Now I await the consistent barrage of shit leveled at me for criticizing the Bears once again.

Just to tack on.... Leno's Madden rating sucks.... I mean if John Madden thinks you suck, then you obviously suck, amirite?

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
You could make an argument that Angelo invested more into the OT position than another spot on the roster. He missed far more than he hit, but it wasn't for a lack of effort.

Hence my claim of ineptitude.

Bears struck out on every tackle and have only been able to replace it with mediocrity and hot garbage.

Reactions: WCL

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
This notion that that it's one of the "safer positions to draft" seems incredibly off-base.

You're probably correct. In terms of a First Rounder, it traditionally works out better, but its not a guarantee. There have been a lot of OT busts.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leno is not sensational but you rarely hear the guys name called and that is something we Bears fans are not generally accustomed to at the LT spot. He had that horrific whiff during the first snap of the 2nd half against Julius Peppers last year that resulted in a strip sack but I honestly don't recall many whiffs like that over the course of his career. If he puts together another solid year there will be plenty of suitors for his services in the league if the Bears don't re-sign him.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For 2018 I'm thinking something along these lines:
- Morgan or Grasu take "the leap" and show capacity to start at G
- move Long to RT, Massie to swing tackle
- either draft LT in 1st round (McGlinchey) or resign Leno

Depth chart (starters in bold):
OT - 1st rounder/Leno, Long, Massie
G/C - Whitehair, Sitton, Morgan, Grasu, Kush

I think the Long to Tackle experiment is over. He was not good at all out there. I think Sitton could be gone in 2018 if continues to get banged up and Whitehair or Morgan step into LG. I don't think they have given up on Grassu yet and he will get one last shot to show he can play Center even if he is just a reserve this season.

Liked Posts:
Move the guard that we are paying like a OTackle to otackle! Long at Tackle would make our line much better imo. We have a lot of decent guards on the team