The OL Depth Chart Discussion

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Grasu cannot play OG and what he has shown is that he cannot really play C.

I do not know how you keep a guy as a backup that offers little to no positional versatility.

Also there is a good chance that a 5th round pick does not make it through waivers to the PR. 31 other teams could simply get a free draft pick.

Why do you abbreviate Practice Squad with PR? Just a little OCD on my side :)

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why do you abbreviate Practice Squad with PR? Just a little OCD on my side :)

Practice Roster is what it was called when I played in the CFL. Spent a decent amount of time on it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But we know Kyle Long is better at OG and we know Whitehair is a stud at C.

Grasu will get camp to prove something, my hope is he can play OG a little.

But he is not taking Whitehairs job under any curcumstance.

They also re-signed Kush to a 2 year deal with 500k guaranteed, not the vet minimum.

You're ignoring Paces own words. Grasu is a center only and Whitehair has flexibility. Obviously no one moves unless there is either an injury or Grasu is kicking ass. Otherwise everyone stays where they're at. Pace is not going to just give up on Grasu like some have suggested though. GM's don't give up on 3rd round picks that easy.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is actually the position group I feel best about heading into TC. Wish we had a better swing tackle but I do think Compton is an upgrade over Adams.

I'm still holding out a minuscule bit of hope that Grasu can hold down a roster spot mainly because I liked the pick at the time. However, with the emergence of Whitehair and Kush and the drafting of Morgan I'd say his chances are slim to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Grasu could still be a serviceable player. Players can make a big jump after a rookie year and develop. Whether or not he does remains to be seen.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm very concerned about the right tackle position, and don't feel like the Bears really addressed it in the draft or FA. Actually I'm concerned about the right side of the line in general with Kyle Long's injuries from last year, though I'm confident in Kush as a backup at guard if Kyle isn't ready.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Grasu was a smart pick at the time, but I just do not see a fit. He is the Cutler of the O-line, people keep holding out hope. If he gains some muscle, if he overcomes the injuries, if he is given time to develop, ect...

Whitehair came in and did not need to put on weight, or develop, or anything else, he had a good season right out of the box and he actually is more valuable as a Center than a Guard, but he can do both.

Not sure why anyone would want to reduce the talent at Center by having Grasu start.

I feel the only way he makes the roster is if we have an injury to Whitehair or Kush.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Grasu was a smart pick at the time, but I just do not see a fit. He is the Cutler of the O-line, people keep holding out hope. If he gains some muscle, if he overcomes the injuries, if he is given time to develop, ect...

Whitehair came in and did not need to put on weight, or develop, or anything else, he had a good season right out of the box and he actually is more valuable as a Center than a Guard, but he can do both.

Not sure why anyone would want to reduce the talent at Center by having Grasu start.

I feel the only way he makes the roster is if we have an injury to Whitehair or Kush.

I agree.

It sucks to not get value from a 3rd round pick, but I am okay with it if it is because another pick becomes a Pro Bowler at his position.

If Deinodre Hall wanted to push Kyle Fuller or Adrian Amos off the roster by becoming a Pro Bowler than I would have to live with that as well.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Nothing is permanent in the NFL. You should know that.

I do agree with trying to be cute. Long and Whitehair are probably best served where they are. But I'm also considering alternatives just as plan B's and C's.

You are overgeneralizing. When was the last time you saw up and coming players, or players in their prime, moved around to different positions?

You just DON'T. The only time you see it is if a player is struggling at a position, or is getting older and is on the decline, and the team has a new young up and comer with talent to fill in the spot and an obvious weakness elsewhere. Otherwise, no one is out there pining for Gronk to be a Running Back, or Aaron Rodgers to be a Tight End. Even Brian Urlacher, who got moved from Outside LB to MLB, was moved because of a combination of injury, and frankly, he STRUGGLED on the outside his rookie year.

There are REASONS people get moved. And we did try Long out on the edge and he wasn't as good AND he hated it.

Whitehair and Long are in their permanent spots. Period. Until they fit the aforementioned criteria, that is where they should stay.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
He was going to be the starter last year until he got an ACL, obviously the team thought he was an NFL player but I guess you know more than they do :facepalm:

He was struggling, and not just his first game, unlike what Baba said. And how do you know he would have started? From my vantage point, Whitehair would have outplayed him for the position and started week 1.

But hey, let's find out - if he is as good as you say - you want to bet our houses that Grasu is on the team week 1? I'll bet he isn't. After all, if you believe that strongly in him, and think the team believes that strongly in him, let's find out. ;)

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
We are going to shift 2 players out of positions they are dominant at in Whitehair and Long to make space for Grasu?

Really.

What can I say Windy - I tried to reason with them, but you can't cure stupid.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
If a guard gets injured I feel okay about kush stepping in and playing adequately. If Leno gets hurt I think we see some unfortunate stuff happen like someone playing out of position.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
He also is not a tackle.

He was mediocre a best there in 2015 and they moved him a do immediately. He has also stated many times that he is a OG.

I actually understand the desire to move Long a lot more than the one to move Whitehair to make room for Grasu.

Long is EXTREMELY athletic, and physically would be able to play either tackle position. But looking at that is almost as bad as looking at Cutler's arm and thinking he's a great QB - you have to factor in the mental makeup as well.

Long mentally is a hyper-aggressive, plow ahead kind of guy. He just wants to be able to line up against the guy (or guys) across from him and beat their brains in. He doesn't handle adjusting on the fly in space very well, which is why he just isn't suited for tackle. It's also why he loves guard - its just him, his opponent, and the line of scrimmage. That's his makeup, and why he excels at guard. We saw this when they tried him at tackle.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
If a guard gets injured I feel okay about kush stepping in and playing adequately. If Leno gets hurt I think we see some unfortunate stuff happen like someone playing out of position.

If Leno gets hurt, that's why they won't play Trubisky this year :p

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You are overgeneralizing. When was the last time you saw up and coming players, or players in their prime, moved around to different positions?

You just DON'T. The only time you see it is if a player is struggling at a position, or is getting older and is on the decline, and the team has a new young up and comer with talent to fill in the spot and an obvious weakness elsewhere. Otherwise, no one is out there pining for Gronk to be a Running Back, or Aaron Rodgers to be a Tight End. Even Brian Urlacher, who got moved from Outside LB to MLB, was moved because of a combination of injury, and frankly, he STRUGGLED on the outside his rookie year.

There are REASONS people get moved. And we did try Long out on the edge and he wasn't as good AND he hated it.

Whitehair and Long are in their permanent spots. Period. Until they fit the aforementioned criteria, that is where they should stay.

LOL. What does any of this have to do with Oline? Oline players are moved around all the time.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I'm very concerned about the right tackle position, and don't feel like the Bears really addressed it in the draft or FA. Actually I'm concerned about the right side of the line in general with Kyle Long's injuries from last year, though I'm confident in Kush as a backup at guard if Kyle isn't ready.

I think massie will be fine, he played much better the second half of the year than he did the 1st.

To me the right side of the line is just fine.

I would hope for Grasu to be able to be a back up guard and center, that is the only way he stays, if Sitton goes down we need Grasu or Kush to take the spot not whitehair. This is a really good offensive line, just like it is, we just need to not have any injuries.

I wonder if Grasu could propel himself onto the team if he could take over the long snapping duties as well or something like that.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Grasu cannot play OG and what he has shown is that he cannot really play C.

I do not know how you keep a guy as a backup that offers little to no positional versatility.

Also there is a good chance that a 5th round pick does not make it through waivers to the PR. 31 other teams could simply get a free draft pick.

How about try Grasu at long snapper or he is going to be a backup or possibly cut this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Team

Liked Posts:
What can I say Windy - I tried to reason with them, but you can't cure stupid.

Let's see what happens in training camp and then you and Windbag can hug! (Sorry Windy, always enjoy your posts but you have changed your 'online' personna lately),

Surprises come in training camp every year, and hey... if Grasu can step into the center spot at a high level, CW can plug a hole other places...such as for the LG who can barely jog yet and the RT who had a so-so performance last year. I'm no expert, but I think CW played some tackle in college at a high level...who knows!