Fermented food

AussieBear

Farmers markets, market days and farm stands around here are WAY overpriced.

it can be here too, especially closer to da city. but i live in a rural area surrounded by even more rural areas full of farmers and homesteaders who compete with each other and arent really trying to get rich for the most part... they just want to get by it seems. well i can say their specialty meats are expensive.. cause meat is just expensive across this fucking island..

i bought 5 Jarrahdale pumpkin from a farmer on the side of the road yesterday. fuckers are huge, about 10 kilos (22 lbs) a piece.... cost me 25 bucks aud.. at the local grocer they be 2.70 - 3.50 per kilo for the jarrahdales ... food costs in aus are high as fucks..

i got one of them pumpkins a few days earlier to test the quality.. its so fresh, dense and so fucking sweet.. i cut it up and got 8 days worth of oversized portions of roasted pumpkin for 2 peeps..no other sides.. just pumkin... could feed 4-6 for 8 days... imma make some puree for bread and pie with one and the other 4 will just be veg for the next few months.. you can store these pumpkins for a good 6-12 months..

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
My cucumber turned out pretty good. They're a tad salty but definitely edible. Next time I'm probably using a 3% brine and skipping the flower heads, they didn't add anything to the recipe.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I never made home made pickles. Seeing how this overlaps with the discussion, how different is it over buying premade? I usually stock up on pickles from a euromarket/polish store, because I don't care for claussen/vlassic/mt olive (although I'm not too much of a snob, I'll eat them if I want a pickle).

AussieBear

My cucumber turned out pretty good. They're a tad salty but definitely edible. Next time I'm probably using a 3% brine and skipping the flower heads, they didn't add anything to the recipe.

what kind of salt did you use?

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never made home made pickles. Seeing how this overlaps with the discussion, how different is it over buying premade? I usually stock up on pickles from a euromarket/polish store, because I don't care for claussen/vlassic/mt olive (although I'm not too much of a snob, I'll eat them if I want a pickle).

I very rarely eat store bought pickles, or any vinegar-y foods, so I think my fermented ones are much much better. Another good thing about homemade is you can dress them up with different spices. My next batch will probably be with more peppers and a bit more garlic but the possibilities are endless

what kind of salt did you use?

Celtic sea salt

AussieBear

I very rarely eat store bought pickles, or any vinegar-y foods, so I think my fermented ones are much much better. Another good thing about homemade is you can dress them up with different spices. My next batch will probably be with more peppers and a bit more garlic but the possibilities are endless

Celtic sea salt

you could try himalayan pink salt... seems to have a lesser salt flavor imo.. the wife likes it.. but i like me sea salt.... no anti cake materials in it either..

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it was the flavor, I think the brine was just too strong. Next batch of whatever will be around 3%

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I eat a lot of fermented food. Good for the gut.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I eat a lot of fermented food. Good for the gut.

Indeed it is.

I need some opinions. I can't decide what my next ferment should be.

1) garlic cloves
2) halved or quartered jalapeños
3) green beans
4) carrot sticks

What say you, food and drink subforum?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone know of a good website for rookie fermenters? Something with the basics, and ideas to try.

AussieBear

Indeed it is.

I need some opinions. I can't decide what my next ferment should be.

1) garlic cloves
2) halved or quartered jalapeños
3) green beans
4) carrot sticks

What say you, food and drink subforum?

you could try meat and seafood if you got that stomach

AussieBear

Never tried one but I'd like to.

i think walmart sells them.. theres probably 3 wally worlds in in ur area...

im a boiled egg fan.. fave kind are some asian flavored stewed boiled eggs.. guess its a modified version of a chinese tea egg.. but modified with different flavors than traditional.. whatever that is.. i like it with basically soy sauce, star anise, ginger, garlic. idk whatever else they put in there.. i tried to make them with the 4 ingredients i know is in the ones i like and they are good, but they just missing that sumin sumin.. probably clove.. cinnamon or nutmeg... but at the same time i get lazy and will settle for boiled egg with salt.. or make egg salad .. quick and easy..

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
you could try meat and seafood if you got that stomach

I will definitely be trying some sort of meat, just not yet. I won't feel bad at all if some cabbage or carrots get ruined but I'd feel a tiny bit bad about ruining a piece of beef