3 Bears To Step Up

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My buddy asked me yesterday if I could pick any 3 non-QB Bears to step up this season who would I pick?

I thought it was interesting as the Bears really do need players to take a step after a middle tier free agent period and a long view draft.

My List

1. Kevin White

Not only do I not want to chuck the 7th overall pick in the garbage, but this also happens to be the most unsettled position group for the Bears. The Bears need someone on the outside across from Meredith to produce and help out whoever is playing QB.

2. Deinondre Hall, Deon Bush, Eddie Jacksom

I do not care which one, but the Bears need one of the young draft picks in the secondary to step up and become a starter. The Bears desperately need someone to be the FS beside Demps.

3. Charles Leno

If Leno can take the next step and move from average to good it would be huge for the Bears as they could move into next season only needing to upgrade Bobbie Massie. Needing to upgrade both OTs is an expensive proposition.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
3. Charles Leno

If Leno can take the next step and move from average to good it would be huge for the Bears as they could move into next season only needing to upgrade Bobbie Massie. Needing to upgrade both OTs is an expensive proposition.

Leno allowed 4 sacks and was called for holding just once in 16 games last year.

Those are the best stats for a LT in a season since Jimbo covert.

What more do you expect from him?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I am going to cheat and go positions, not players, but at least I will go 4 positions instead of just 3.

I will pick the Bears 4 weakest spots as the positions that can bring the most upside.

WR - with only 1 main contributor last year and many new players added + an uninjured White, the Bears can improve their offense a lot if one of the non-contributors can show that he belongs on the field even if it is on special teams.

S - with a lot of new faces at safety including Hall moving to safety from corner and Jackson being drafted, it would be awesome if the Bears could finally adequately address their safety void ever since Brown.

C - with a bunch of new faces + Fuller finally recovering from his year-long hang-nail injury, the Bears have a chance of improving their play and depth at corner.

K - If Andy Phillips can beat out Conner Barth, it would add points to the board in most games.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
White

Floyd

Howard

Honorable mention: Trubisky

These are the building blocks Pace has put into place to win games, now they need to hone in on their skills and become leaders.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Leno allowed 4 sacks and was called for holding just once in 16 games last year.

In honor of Eddie Jackson joining the team, Leno can become an integral part of the new punishing offensive line affectionately called the Crimson Tide as they, along with Howard, run all over the opposing rushing defenses.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Leno has been one of the best LTs we have had since the 2005 OL with John St.Clair. I would argue Leno is better.

There are a ton of teams that are wondering who their LT will be this year. Our biggest concern is who will backup Leno.

I hope they extend him this year, because if not they are going to have to compete in FA, and a "good" LT can be very pricy.

I think Leno is already "good" and that is ok with me.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Those are both great stats.

What I would like to see from him is to be a little more firm against bull rushers and a little more disciplined on inside moves. I really do not care that much about the run game, but that is an area where he could also more consistently use his hands to generate push.

I would be very happy to extend Leno, but it would be huge if he could cut down the number of pressures.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno has been one of the best LTs we have had since the 2005 OL with John St.Clair. I would argue Leno is better.

There are a ton of teams that are wondering who their LT will be this year. Our biggest concern is who will backup Leno.

I hope they extend him this year, because if not they are going to have to compete in FA, and a "good" LT can be very pricy.

I think Leno is already "good" and that is ok with me.

Jay Cutler was the best QB the Bears ever had, did not make him good.

Leno is a solid starting LT in the NFL. My hope is that he can take the next step and really give the Bears a dominant OL.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Leno has been pretty consistent

Are we really still hoping for white to do more then go on ir? If anything I want to see if Meredith can do more then reap the rewards of playing opposite Jeffry

On defense I want to see something from Bullard

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Jay Cutler was the best QB the Bears ever had, did not make him good.

Leno is a solid starting LT in the NFL. My hope is that he can take the next step and really give the Bears a dominant OL.

You're arguing whether Leno is good or not by using Jay as an example?

You're better than that.

An no, Jay was not the best QB the Bears have ever had...

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The wheels came off at the end of the season. I still have nightmares from that Washington game. Fortunately for Leno, Barkley had no problem heaving it up for grabs under pressure.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
N. Kiawtoski(sp?)- with Trevathan out probably for the first few games at least and Freeman getting older Kwit needs to show he is more than just a thumper and needs to become a leader.

M. Wheaton- defenses haven't had to really respect the deep ball since Knox.

A. Shaheen- with no real #1 I think the QBs will need a security blanket. I'm hoping Shaheen can use his frame to his advantage and catch passes even when he's covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You're arguing whether Leno is good or not by using Jay as an example?

You're better than that.

An no, Jay was not the best QB the Bears have ever had...

No I am arguing that saying he is the best player at a position for the Bears is not an reasonable argument for whether he is good or not.

Leno needs to be more consistent and still gives up too many pressures. He is not bad, but if I can find a LT that might be dominant that needs to be explored as it has a huge impact on the development of a young QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The wheels came off at the end of the season. I still have nightmares from that Washington game. Fortunately for Leno, Barkley had no problem heaving it up for grabs under pressure.

Minnesota later in the season also was not a positive game for him.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
No I am arguing that saying he is the best player at a position for the Bears is not an reasonable argument for whether he is good or not.

Leno needs to be more consistent and still gives up too many pressures. He is not bad, but if I can find a LT that might be dominant that needs to be explored as it has a huge impact on the development of a young QB.

Consistent? he gave up 1 sack every 4 games... The only way to be more consistent is to give up none.

How many pressures did he give up and how does that compare to other 16-game LT's?

CallMeYams

Liked Posts:
1. Kevin White- You were picked #7 for a reason show me something. I think he starts out slow and then becomes a "good" player. I wish i could say he becomes a stud.

2. Bullard- I think he lost his confidence last year. Year in the weightroom and technique work I think he balls out this year and solidifies our front 7 to become dominant.

3. Amos- Im not giving up on Amos he can learn how to catch a ball. I think he is going to show up this year and turn into a good safety

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
2. Bullard- I think he lost his confidence last year. Year in the weightroom and technique work I think he balls out this year and solidifies our front 7 to become dominant.
Lost confidence?

He was benched....

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

Prime Orlando Pace HOF caliber play. Anything less and he's a bust and Pace should be fired.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many sacks and pressures did he give up in that game?

Leno gave up 32 pressures last season, ranking him at #44 of offensive tackles. Massie was even worse with 41 pressures given up. That combined 73 pressures put the OT duo near or at the very bottom of the list of all NFL OT duos.